Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Anniversary

KATPILOT

Today is my twentieth wedding anniversary. It's also the sixth anniversary since Kathy died and I have spent each and every one of them celebrating as if they still matter and in truth they still do for this day is the day back in 1997 when she chose to spend the rest of her life with me. This day is also the sixth anniversary of the day my dad died so I guess that first one was a bit hard now that I think back, but I went out to dinner alone getting away from the trauma of my dad and family for a few hours letting go of all the pain and sorrow I had dealt with that year.  This year I am going to that same restaurant  I went to for my first solo anniversary and I bet I will enjoy it much more this time. 

One thing I have seen with the passing years is how little the anniversary of death means to me. It doesn't upset me as much as that first year. My memories of my dad are filled with happy times and I will always celebrate his birthday. That is the day I honor him but this day shall be reserved for the rest of my years as a joyfully blessed day.

So here is to you Kathy my love.

Thank you for allowing me to be your husband for all of time. 

Steve

Copy of heart.jpg

• Upvote 3

Wishing you a happy anniversary, Steve.  It always feels weird saying that when someone has lost their other half.  But it was the most special day in the world to those of us here, and so I say it, because even without them here to celebrate with us, we still have our memories of good times spent with the most wonderful person in the world.

• Upvote 1

Thank you Marty. 

31 minutes ago, kayc said:

we still have our memories of good times spent with the most wonderful person in the world.

Kay it may seem a little weird but it's actually not. Still an anniversary and still a day to cherish once you get past that one part.:wub:

Perhaps it's because the memories are filled with so many good times that make it easier to enjoy this day.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Annually there is something I deal with which like an anniversary is one of the most special times of year for me. This one though is a trigger of emotions like no other. This is the week of the national quilting convention in Houston. This was the happiest week of the year for Kathy. This coming weekend would be the happiest weekend for me annually because it was the most romantic. For longer than I can remember she would be there taking classes all week and I would join her on the weekend. Every night she would call me and tell me about her day and her friends she would meet, their lunches and dinners and all the things that just made her light up with joy. She was always learning, always growing and that week, that week was her favorite time. In September I would be at the store on that first day of registration faxing her request for classes and the fax line was always busy for hours as I kept attempting until it finally went through. That convention is the largest annual event at that convention center and women from around the world were doing the same thing. Gosh she loved it so and that pleased me. The best part though was when I would leave on Friday to join her. For me that was when my part began. Viewing all the works and buying all the fabric and books and taking them to the shipping department. Then seeing things around Houston and the dinners, oh my the dinners! To me, that weekend was what loved looked like. That was the weekend that for me love felt like. Just to see her face lit up. I would stand there and just look at her like a she was a kid in a candy shop and her joy would travel right into my very core. Oh wow I miss that so much. I feel as if I am having a full blown trigger moment and it comes with all the emails that come across her email which I use for anything that has to do with something unrelated to business. I can never cancel those emails she gets. It's like canceling a piece of her. I don't normally hang it out like this but I am having a weak moment for this one is bigger than a birthday, anniversary, or the day she left me. It was this one that set me off this year.

quilt festival 2016.jpg

• Upvote 4