Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Having a rough night

Hey all, I posted this in a couple of spots.  You could say I'm feeling desperate for affirmation.  After doing pretty good the past couple of weeks I'm having a rough night again when I think about how far my mom has progressed in her dementia over the last few months.  I can tell she is trying to compensate which makes me feel bad for her.  I can only imagine how scary it must be to be able to tell that you are losing your short term memory.  I'm also being overworked as I adjust to a promotion at work and I feel more and more that our culture just doesn't allow people to feel anything but desire for money and success, not time to reinforce family bonds, not time to be sad, just work and keep being productive.  It's a sad state of affairs. I don't know if anyone can relate, but it helps to voice these thoughts that I am usually prohibited from speaking or giving any indication that I'm feeling.

This is a great place to share your story.  I can definitely relate.  As you know, money, success, promotion, status are all illusions in this life to hide what really matters. I am re-reading a great book called "Boundaries" by McCloud and Thompson that discusses our need to define our boundaries.  The book mainly focuses on people and relationships but I can also see how to apply it to our work and career.  You are welcome to share as much and often as you like. It helps me to clarify my thoughts and feelings.  This is a safe place.  - Shalom

• Upvote 2