Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Jack the lurcher

Tomtomyes

Hi just like to share my story . I had jack a whippet Cross since the day he was born we done everything together and he always stuck by my side. We where best friends. Unfortunately jack broke his leg 2 nights ago and I done everything I could to get the right treatment but unfortunately Jack died under mild sedation.  Suddenly and very much unexpected I am without my best friend , I open up my door now to silence to pain. I am hurting so much I didn't even get the chance to say goodbye and one last hug . People say he's only a dog to them yes but to me he was my world my boy and he didn't deserve to go :(. 8 special years. 03/10/16

I loved him so much and will miss him so much. Heartbroken is an under statement. 

I'd like some help from people who have lost their beloved pets how do you cope with this overwhelming sadness

I am so sorry for your loss. Losing a pet is losing a family member. I understand what you are going through. I had to have my 12 year old chocolate lab put down this past January. It was so hard and even today I still look for him sometimes. Grieve....cry....and remember.  For me, it was helpful to have his ashes brought home. They are sitting in my living room along with his pictures. Everyday I talk to him. Hopefully you will find what works for you. Hugs. 

Thanks Cheryl for your support. Sorry for your loss 12 years is a very long time but a least he had a long life . I also have pictures of him on my wall that I will cherish forever.  

It's been 3 days now does it get any easier because now I still feel sick .

I am so sorry.  I had a Whippet, her name was Lucky, she was a sweet beautiful girl, the most obedient dog I ever had, so I know some of what you must be feeling with your loss.  They are beautiful graceful dogs and I can see the Whippet nose in him.

I love the picture you have of him, it is suitable for framing, and I'm sure every time you see it you'll think of him and the times you had together.

You asked how we cope with our losses.  Loss of a pet can be one of the hardest.  I've lost so many cats and dogs over the years, each one unique, each one I had a special relationship with and loved.  I also lost my sweet husband eleven years ago, so I know something about loss.  Knowing our days are numbered, that death is part of the cycle of life, it helps me understand with my brain (but not with my heart), that one of us will go before the other.  Loving the animal or person as I do, I would not want them to be left without me, so it only makes sense that they go first...that way they are cared for until the end of their life and never need to know what it is to be alone.  But that doesn't help your heartache over losing them.  I think it takes time to ease the wound, just as when you have a cut it takes time to heal...so it takes time for our heart to heal over.  Only with grief it's different than a physical wound because there is no end to it.  That doesn't mean your heart will ache with this intensity forever, it won't...the pain and intensity will lessen gradually and your grief will evolve.  And then someday you'll notice something...instead of bringing you immense pain as you think of your dog, you'll realize that you finally can smile at the good memories.  I can't say how long that will take, we're all different, but it'll happen.

I've also found it helps to memorialize them...to bury their body or get their ashes back, to put up a picture of them that has special meaning.  We do these rituals for a reason, it shows honor and respect to them and is our way of dealing with our loss.

I still miss Skye, my beloved granddoggy that passed three years ago, Lucky, my Whippet that passed eight years ago.  Fluffy my Cocker/American Eskimo that passed 19 years ago.  King George, my greeter cat that died ten years ago.  Teddy, my Golden Retriever that died 28 years ago.  Chappy, Autumn, and so on.  I will always remember them and look forward to the day we can be together again.

I hope this link to The Rainbow Bridge brings you comfort:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcQvYh_3Atw

Thank you for your kind words they mean alot . If we had more people who care in this world like you the world we be a different place. I am sorry for all your loses and it seems you have found comfort in one form or another which is great. 

I feel if I open up about him and how we where as a unit it brings me some sort of release to the section of oxytocin in my brain . 

I also have this picture framed on my wall a long time now which is comforting. I will sadly missed him and my other dogs will to but I have one thing to look forward to and that's his pup . She was born 7 weeks ago and I just hope she grows up to be just like him .

I appreciate your help and kind words they really mean a lot to me .

Thank you very much 

• Upvote 2

I'm glad the pup is old enough to survive and what a wonderful legacy he left!  As kind as you are to the pup, you are doing it for him too.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Tomtomyes said:

Thanks Cheryl for your support. Sorry for your loss 12 years is a very long time but a least he had a long life . I also have pictures of him on my wall that I will cherish forever.  

It's been 3 days now does it get any easier because now I still feel sick .

It will take awhile.  Honestly I don't remember how long it took me before I stopped crying. Everyone is different. It will get easier as time passes though. Hang in there and reach out as much as you need!!!!

Cheryl

Thanks Cheryl .

I accept it will take a long time I'm just home from work now and it's the time I would hear him calling for me so it's a bit difficult. People don't realise that just talking to people who have been through the same situation it feels good . 

My friend, I too am so sorry to learn of the loss of your beloved Jack. You're right: Talking to people who've been through the same situation feels good ~ and that it why it helps so much to place yourself among other animal lovers who know from personal experience the pain that comes with the death of a cherished animal companion. Those are the kinds of people you will find here, in this forum.

You might find these resources helpful, as they help to explain why this kind of loss hurts so much:

Pet Loss: Is It A Different Kind of Grief?

Pet Loss: Why Does It Hurt So Much?

Losing A Cherished Pet: Myths and Misconceptions

And here is something that brought me comfort when my own beloved Beringer crossed over the Rainbow Bridge. I hope it does the same for you:

• Upvote 1