Grief Healing Discussion Groups

I killed my cat in the dryer!!

Katinthehat

My family adopted two kittens 6 months ago one was Gigi the other was Taz. Monday morning Taz was being his normal self always under foot and curious and I went to change the laundry over and put my wet towels in the dryer. I turned it on and heard thumping, I didn't think anything of it because lately almost all loads were seeming to do that. I walked away and fed the cats and noticed Taz wasn't there, I just thought he was sleeping or not hungry. I went to work and when I came home my 16 yr old asked if I saw Taz. We went out looking for him and then I heard my 23 yr old boy screaming for me. He opened the dryer and there was our little guy! My 16 yr old is taking it pretty bad and I can't stop playing the day over and over in my head that it was my fault and what I should have done. I miss my curious stinker so bad! I cry out of pain for my kids and pain of guilt. I didn't mean to do it I love all my cats. Gigi was never really a jump on you and love cat but ever since Monday he has been loving and does seem to be looking for Taz and that breaks my heart. I know I will stop to hurt so bad but I never killed anything in my life. Once I hit a possum but took a towel and moved his dead body out of the road and sat next to it and cried. 

• Like 1

I am so sorry that this happened.  There have been many others that have had the same thing happened, and I want to give you some links that Marty has posted at other times for those, I think they'll be helpful for you.

http://www.griefhealing.com/article-loss-and-the-burden-of-guilt.htm

One of my favorites for this situation:
 http://media.wix.com/ugd/0dd4a5_e934e7f92d104d31bcb334d6c6d63974.pdf

I lost a dog years ago that was a similar situation.  I'd come back from the vet with my dog and cat and my two kids were with me.  We let the dog out of the van, and were trying to give the cat some medicine...I finished and then closed the van and drove to work.  That night I opened the door and my dog rolled out into my arms, stiff as a board.  I called the vet, who was just closing, and he waited for me...he pronounced the dog dead and gave me a hug.  I don't know what I thought the vet could do, he'd been dead all day!  I was hoping for a miracle, I guess, I was in shock so nothing was making sense.  It was a hot day and with the windows rolled up it would have been at least 140 in there.  Here my dog was dying, right outside my office window and I had not a clue!  
So I know something about the sense of guilt one feels.  That's why I think that last link will be helpful to you.  
Our animals know we love them and would never hurt them.  Accidents happen, unfortunately.  We are human and aren't always able to protect them from everything that could happen.  They would be the first to forgive us.  We need to forgive ourselves and accept that, try as we might, we aren't superhuman.  We don't always see everything, know everything...but we do the best that we can.

I wish I could put my arms around you and hug you.  I am so sorry for you and your family.

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Katinthecat, I am so so sorry to hear of your loss. A very similar thing happened to me only on Saturday. I know exactly how you feel. I am filled with such guilt and sorrow. If only I had done things different. I had seen my cat moments before on our spare bed, I went in and gave her a little cuddle and then went to my washer dryer, took out some items that couldn't be machine dried, went to hang them up then returned to the machine closed the door and the drying cycle started. She must have come out of the spare room and sneaked into the machine. I heard nothing, no thuds, no meows. It was an utter shock and complete disbelief when I found her. Nothing will bring my Orca back ( that was her name, she is the beautiful cat on my profile picture).

I just wanted to offer you my support, and I hope you and your family are OK. My thoughts are with you all :(((

xxxxxxx

• Upvote 1

• 3 years later...

I have rescued stray cats for a long time. Today my eighteen year old house cat went to sleep in the dryer and died when my partner closed the door and turned it on. There was no noise so I pray she died quickly of asphyxiation or a heart attack. I have wept uncontrollably for eight hours. I wish it had been me.

• Like 1

I just received a video that touched my heart, Freddo, and I hope that it will touch yours:

In the Absence

by Annalee Van Kleeck
In the Absence grieving aftertalk
This new song, is called "In the Absence" and was inspired by the recent loss of my beloved cat, Gadget, who had beaten cancer once through holistic therapies.  We managed to keep it at bay for three years, but it came back with a vengeance last Fall. I finally had to put him to sleep in the first week of January.  He was truly an amazing, beautiful light of my life and a beacon for my soul and when the vet came to put him to sleep, Gadget got up and walked straight to him as if to say, "It's OK, it's time for me to go...", the vet burst into tears and said, "What a cat, he took all of my energy."

In the Absence by Annalee Van Kleeck
In the Absence by Annalee Van Kleeck

• Like 1

I am so sorry.  Just know how much this happens made me never leave the dryer open and be aware of where my cat is.  This seems to be one of the most common accidental deaths.  :(

• Like 1