Grief Healing Discussion Groups

22 months on its way

Thank you for all your thoughts and prayers.  I apologize for not updating sooner.  I'm busy taking care of Caleb and Gracie while Allen and Katie are at the hospital with Noah.  Noah still has brain activity but is not waking up.  They don't know when he will.  He's still on a ventilator.  This is heartbreaking day in day out.  Caleb is so upset.  He's not been to school.  He's going to try to go today even if he doesn't make it the entire day.  He can't go see Noah as no kids are allowed in ICU.  

Again thank you so very much for your prayers and kind words.  

Butch ❤️

• Upvote 7

Thanks for sharing, Butch, I know you don't have much time on your hands right now.  I hope you are holding up okay, I'm concerned about you and all of your family.

• Upvote 3

We are all concerned Butch.  Possibly you could go to the school and get Caleb's lessons for home study.  I'm sure the school would understand.  I know you don't have time to let us know day by day, but you all are in our thoughts and prayers.  You have to take care of yourself too.  I know it seems hard to do sometimes, but remember, you are needed very much.  Sometimes that need is what keeps us going.  Sometimes I wish I had the mind of a child, but sometimes I think I really do.  

• Upvote 3

I haven't heard from him for a few days, I imagine he is exhausted and has no time.  We'll hear something soon, I'm sure.  I've sent him emails, just waiting.

• Upvote 1

Hi. Thanks everyone 

Noah just woke up today.  He's awake off and on. But cannot speak.  He seems to understand simple things. He blinks once for yes and twice for no.  One side of his body he can't move.  So he's going to have to go through tons of therapy to learn to speak again if that's possible and to get that side of his body mobile again.  We're all thankful he's alive.  Hopefully he won't have anymore life threatening set backs as he's been having.  

Ive been watching Caleb and Gracie.  Katie won't leave the hospital at all.  Allen has to clock some time at work then back to hospital. So I've been playing mom dad and Grampy.  Gracie is teething majorly.  But no teeth yet she's pretty much inconsolable to where I have to be holding her or rocking her or having her sleep with me.  Caleb had been back to school but is so very worried for his big brother.  When Noah is moved out of ICU into a regular room then Caleb can see him.  

I'm exhausted. 

IMG_1910.PNGIMG_1911.PNGIMG_1914.PNGIMG_1915.PNG

• Upvote 5

Thank you so much for letting us know.  I know Noah has a long road ahead of him, but the news sounds so much better and than you for sending pictures of Gracie.  A smile along with hopeful news.  Prayers for Katie, Allen, and you along with the little ones and special for Noah.  

• Upvote 2

Butch,

Thinking of you and your family as you face yet another trial. Such a freak accident to befall this wonderful little guy. Praying each day will show marked improvement and he will soon return to his smiling self. Little Gracie is a doll, as usual. Poor baby! Teething is no fun. Hope you are getting a bit of rest.

• Upvote 3

Butch,
I am hopeful he can be taught to speak again.  I realize his life won't ever seem as it was before, he has a lot of hard work ahead of him (and Katie along with him) but I also believe it can be done.  They can file disability for him and hopefully that will help with some of the expenses, perhaps he can be covered by Medicaid?  The hospital should be able to help them out with the application process, I know our hospital has someone that comes in and asks questions and fills out the paperwork for you.

I will be so glad when he can be in a regular room so Caleb can visit him, it will likely be a huge uplift to Noah to see and hear him.  Still praying!!

And little Gracie, what a perk, even with the dreadful teething.  I pray for strength for you, this is hard.

• Upvote 2

Butch when I was 8 I was hit by a car and everyone understood I was going to die.  I had a head injury along with a ton of other injuries but I made it. Kids sometimes have the ability to heal like adults cannot. I put my parents through hell and I wish I could have not done that to them but in the end it all worked out. I woke up two days later with no understanding or memory of what happened. I believe Noah  has the same chance and I am sending my best thoughts and energies to him. I know this is such a hard time of year and yes you are exhausted. Sometimes bad things happen to good people but often good things follow in it's path. My best to you and your family.  

• Upvote 2

That's inspiring and encouraging, Steve.  Noah's situation is unique even as yours was, but it is encouraging to know you came through it, still praying for Noah!

• Upvote 1

The latest from Butch:
Noah is having brain herniation still and his heart is being effected now.  He's still having seizures.  He's in critical condition still. He's still on a ventilator.
The Drs are thinking he be transferred to Yale children's hospital.  If he's stable enough that will happen during the night or tomorrow.  Mary had seizures. But these are from traumatic brain injury.  Tough to stop.  The brain has to heal.  So Katie is going to Yale with him.  Allen too but Allen has to work a little next week. 

• Upvote 1

You know you have my prayers, buddy.  This is something no one should have to go through. :(

• Upvote 1

Update from Butch:  
Noah is transferred to the other children's hospital and they already have him awake and off the vent.  He's sleepy but is aware of things.  Still can't talk.  He tries.  

• Upvote 5

Maybe my mustard seed faith prayer went further than the ceiling.  Butch, we will take every bit of good news we can hear.  I know your hands are full with those two grandkids of yours and what a blessing we all are given.  You have the task/joy of playing Santa Claus.  Thank you Kay.  

• Upvote 3

Yes Kay thank you for the updates.  I keep the faith that Noah will make it out of this just as we all hope and pray.

• Upvote 2