Teddy

Bill E

I thought you just had an infection 
          That's on me
The vet said it was heart disease, I never saw the symptoms 
          That's on me
They brought you into the room and you were struggling so hard to breathe 
          That's on me
When I saw you I knew, I kissed you on your head and through my tears I told the vet it's time 
          That's on me
Your buried out back in one of your favorite spots, in a marked grave with a headstone just for you
          That's on me
I will live my life in the hope I will see you again, by my side
          That's on me 
I will love you forever 
          That's on me

• Upvote 3

http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/340091-do-not-stand-at-my-grave-and-weep-i-am

Have a read of this beautiful poem by Mary Elizabeth Frye

Unconditional love from your pet is one of nature's greatest and most underrated gifts.  Your pet will be grateful for the kindest decision you made on their behalf. Caring for your pet  when they need it most is the most loving thing you can do and selfless. Thoughts and best wishes to you until the fog of your loss clears

• Upvote 2

Bill,

It is so hard, I'm sorry you're having to experience this pain.  I agree with what Wil said, you obviously care for Teddy, and that is the greatest gift we can give.

Bill, my dear, you said you never realized it hurt this much ~ but let me assure you that the grief that you are feeling is in direct relationship to the strength of the bond you had with your Teddy. We do not mourn for those we do not love, and clearly you loved your Teddy as much as you could love one of your dearest and closest friends. That is why this hurts so much. Think about all that Teddy meant to you, all the good times you shared, how his presence was a constant in your life ~ and now all of that is gone. Is it any wonder that you hurt so much?

It may help to do a bit of reading about what is normal in mourning the death of a beloved animal companion, so you'll feel less "crazy" and alone. Take some time to read through some of the many posts in this very forum. And see, for example,

Pet Loss: Is It A Different Kind of Grief?

Is Pet Loss Comparable to Loss of a Loved One?

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I was so heartbroken after letting my Princess go that I stumbled upon this website after a google search on the loss of a pet. The wonderful people on here have been truly amazing and helped me so much in the time of my grief. Everytime I was hysterical and crying Id come on here and read stories or reply to others.  I wish you the best of luck and hope that you find comfort in knowing that you are not alone! Just remember your Teddy will always be by your side in spirit!

• Upvote 1