Grief Healing Discussion Groups

White cat

Valerie33

I adopted a long haired white cat 3 years ago. He was deaf agony had been brought back to the shelter twice already. I didn't really want another pet but they had drastically reduced his adoption fee in the hopes that he would get adopted instead of having to put him down. This morning I was doing laundry. It was my son's jeans aND heavy duty jacket. I heard it thumping and didn't think anything of it..I assumed it was his clothes. It wasn't. Our cat must have jumped in. He was dead. I can't get past it. If I had only checked....

I can't believe I killed him. My 13 year old is devastated. He loved White Cat. They were buddies for sure. We named him White Cat because he couldn't hear us when we called him anyway and it just kind of stuck. 

I saved him from the shelter only to kill him 3 years later. I'm horrified and guilt ridden and I just feel so utterly horrible.

I'm so sorry, Valerie.  If you look through the posts here, you'll see this is quite common, they like the warmth of the dryer.  Years ago my dog jumped into my van, unknown to me, I drove to work, it was closed up all day in the heat.  I came out to the van that night to discover him dead.  I felt horrible.  All these years later I still feel bad that he didn't get to live his full life and that he died a horrible death.  I think they probably go unconscious before they died, sparing them the worst of it.
This wasn't something you did to him, it was an accident.  I know I can tell you that and your brain can accept it, but that doesn't take away the feelings you're feeling.  
I hope these articles are of help to you, they have been to me:

http://media.wix.com/ugd/0dd4a5_e934e7f92d104d31bcb334d6c6d63974.pdf

http://www.pet-loss.net/guilt.shtml

Thank you for your kind words. Although I know it was an accident, I don't know that I will ever get over the guilt. What if and should haves aren't going to do anything but slowly drive me insane. Today is a little better. I am trying to take comfort in the fact that I spoiled him while he lived here with us and that he did have a good life even though it was cut short. My son is bouncing back quicker than I am but I know we will be okay. Thank you for responding. 

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Hello there,

This unfortunate incident happened to me and my family yesterday afternoon.

I had a white flamed-ear Siamese cat named Snowball. He was only 1 year old and I had adopted him when he was 8 weeks old.
Typically, I would find him in the dryer when I have a pile of warm clothes - he would always lay on top of it and I'd laugh and make him get out.

Yesterday, it was pre-Spring cleaning for me and I was doing load after load of laundry. On my very last load, I had grabbed a king size fleece blanket and decided to wash it. 
Not even thinking TWICE, I threw the blanket into the face-front washer, closed it, and put soap - started the machine up. The cycle was set for 40 minutes.
I went to my bedroom to fold clothes. I went back out to the kitchen (utility room is next to the kitchen), and heard heavy thumping in the washer. Then, I thought to myself, "Geez, it's only a blanket, what on earth?" - my WORSTTTTT fears became reality and I was in denial. I ran to my bedroom and prayed that Snowball was sleeping on his cat tree.

Nope, he wasn't there. 
I darted back to the washing machine and the thumping continued. I looked and I SAW HIM against the glass. I stopped the machine and opened the door and he laid there, BARELY breathing. His eyes were wide open. I ran to my room and cried for my boyfriend who got him out of the washer, laid him on the floor and started doing CPR.

Snowball was full of water and soap. He had head trauma and had blood coming out of his eyes and nose.

We got towels and blow dryer and tried what we could. His breaths were short and he let out little moans. I cried the entire time, begging him to come back.

We live out in the country so the nearest vet was about 40 minutes away. I held him as my boyfriend tried drying him. I looked into Snowball's eyes and saw his soul leave his body. His blue eyes turned black and his nose and lips turned blue/black. 

I couldn't believe it. I just held my baby and cried...

We buried him next to our tree in the backyard. We said the Lord's Prayer for him.

I could hardly sleep last night. I miss everything about him. I have so MUCHHH GUILT. I blame myself 100% and I just cannot believe it happened.

I love this cat with all of my heart and have never felt a stronger bond with any animal as  I did with him.

I cannot un-see the events that happened and they keep me up at night. The images have been seared into my brain and my heart breaks knowing he suffered and must have been so scared.

I am so, so, so, so, sorry Snowball. Please forgive me.

My dear, I'm so sorry to learn of this tragic accident that led to the traumatic loss of your beloved Snowball. Unfortunately, this sort of accident is all too common, and I want you to know that you are not alone. In this article, I've assembled several stories similar to yours, along with some suggested resources that I hope will be helpful to you: Pet Loss: Curious Cats Get Killed in Clothes Dryers 

Barbie, I am so sorry. It is so hard, we want to keep our pets safe but we are human and don't foresee everything.  My heart goes out to you.
http://media.wix.com/ugd/0dd4a5_e934e7f92d104d31bcb334d6c6d63974.pdf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcQvYh_3Atw