Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Grieving my older brother

Lizbug

My brother died in a car accident 26 years ago. He was 19 and I was 14. I idolized him. I think about him every day, but I usually cry on his birthday and the anniversary of his passing. It has been so long, but I still miss him. Has anyone ever felt this way? This is a picture of him. Thank you.

Matthew lynn pyeatt.jpg

• Upvote 2

I'm so sorry for the loss of your brother, this must feel an empty hole in your life no matter how many years go by.  I haven't lost a sibling yet but have lost my husband, parents, friends, pets, niece, nephew, grandparents.  My sisters are the ones that have always been there for me in life and when I start losing them, it's going to be really tough.

I hope you'll take some time to explore this site, there are a lot of helps here, look in the Tools for Healing section.  It also helps to read threads from those who have had similar losses.  

I've found that our grief continues the rest of our lives but it doesn't stay the same, it's ever evolving as we process the loss and begin to assimilate it and adjust.  The missing them continues on though, no matter how much time passes.

• Upvote 1

Liz my dear, the grief we feel is in direct relationship to the bond we have with the one who has died. Clearly you were very close to your dear brother. Death ends a life, but the relationship, the love, the bond you have with your brother will never die, just as long as you keep his memory alive in your heart and in your mind. Of course you still miss him ~ and that's because you still love him. 

• Upvote 3