Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Coming to terms with the physical pain a loved one was in at the end

Marg M. I. Too, worked in the medical field as a critical care (ICU) nurse for over 30 years and was not familiar with the term. i also looked up on Google and could not find it. I do not recall ever using or seeing such a device but in the ICU we were usually close enough to suction if needed. Interesting device for maybe areas where there is not close attention. Always learning something. Thanks for the enlightenment. 

Nasotracheal suctioning aka Snogging   

I did not leave the whole thing up there.  I thought I had already put this and if you see it somewhere else, just count it off as my repeating myself again.  Anyhow, you can go to this and go to You Tube and a demonstration is on it..  When I worked for urology the boss-doc could watch the procedures being done in the operating room by the residents. (We were on the 7th floor, he was watching on the big TV).  I admire the heck out of my daughter, out of anyone who works hands on.  I typed words.  I got to see a lot of stuff but what the boss-doc thought was interesting never interested me at all.  I was never meant to be a hands on medical worker.  Well, I guess I was "hands on" since I typed it, but you all that look at all this stuff all the time, you have my admiration.  I am not that brave.

ADDENDUM:  This is one of those movies that play in my head ever so often and I can see my comatose dad, eyes closed, and this horrible sounding vacuum machine (done at close range, on top of him actually) and his eyes opened in terror.  

Marg,

I remember working in the doctor's office when they did endoscopes and I hated that sound!  I was told it wasn't bad, but it didn't sound like anything I wanted done.  Snogging doesn't sound much better.  

On 2/21/2017 at 3:53 AM, heymialouise said:
Oh Finch, 
I know exactly how you feel, it's agonizing to watch the ones we love, in pain.  The only source of comfort I can offer right now is the assurance that Crystal is no longer suffering.  No matter how hard it is to redirect your thoughts, you have to try and remember how at peace she is now.  I had the pleasure of following a blog about a basketball player and his wife and praying for this couple who were going through a battle with cancer.  Unfortunately, he passed away 2 years later, but his wife focused on the time they had together and how important it was for the people who followed to know he lived each day to its fullest.  Despite the pain, she reminded us that he would have wanted us to remember the best, not the worst.  Choose the best about Crystal, not the worst, and hold on to the fact that she knew you loved her. 

Thank you heymialouise. 

It is very difficult to redirect my thoughts. Yes, she is at peace now and that sometimes gives me some comfort when I try and reason things. But I can't help but focus on what she might have been feeling in those last moments. Not knowing exactly how she was, as I wasn't there, is part of the problem.

I'll keep trying.

On 2/19/2017 at 5:04 PM, Widowedbysuicide said:

Finch you need to know that I understand your physical pain and I'm sorry for that.  Your emotional pain is something different.  I think that your circumstances of not being with or near Crystal near the end are probably a torment that is overwhelming.  I know some of the pain of not knowing how our loved one suffered but I had so many years of togetherness that I can remember and gain some courage from.

Thinking of you my friend.

Thank you Marita. It's so tough. 

On 2/20/2017 at 3:35 PM, kayc said:

Finch, I hope you'll get checked out by a doctor.  Headaches for no apparent reason are not something to dismiss...How is your blood pressure?  Your vision?  I hope it's a virus and nothing more serious.  Wishing you well!

Kay, thank you for your concern. I'm ok now. There was a reason for the headaches. There was a bug going round the office that I caught. The headaches and dizzyness have subsided and now it's just a cough. But thanks for your wishes.

Finch,

I'm glad it was a temporary virus and you're doing better...may you continue getting well!