Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Shock and Awe after two years...

George,

I think we can't help wondering why/what if when we deal with stuff like you are.  It's hard.  We think, I'm glad they made improvements but why couldn't they have done that before my spouse died!

• Upvote 3

It was a long day but a good one. My Dad's Doctor visit went well. The Doctor is passionate and listened to my Dad and my questions. The good news is my Dad's kidney function is good, there is no infection.  There is one test that is off so the Doctor needs more information.  The Dr. has ordered a more detailed blood test and two ultrasounds.  Followup appointment is next month.  It is late and I need to get some rest before a long workday tomorrow.  Thank you everyone for your prayers and concerns.We took my Dad out to dinner for his birthday.  He will be 85 tomorrow.  I will share more tomorrow as I will have more time. - Shalom  :D

• Upvote 3

George, I'm glad to hear this report, I'm sure it is a relief.

• Upvote 1

My father had a good Birthday and Father's day celebration. I am dealing with and accepting my sister how she is and how she perceives this situation.  Life continues to march forward.  Everything is on track and does not seems to interfere with her summer travel plans.  She is training my Dad daily to make sure he care take care of her home and cat when they are away.

I picked up a large cleaning job today that adds three more days of work to my schedule:) . I am adjusting to this LCHF way of eating and discovering new things about food and my body. I don't get hungry unless I eat too many carbs and then that triggers my food cravings.  It is a different sensation that I no longer desire the foods i used to crave. I am keeping my food plan simple and easy.  I have more energy and seem to be better focused. - Shalom 

• Upvote 2

George,

Three more days of work...is that every week?  I didn't think you had three days to spare?  I'm glad your change in diet is helping you, it sounds like you will need all of that extra energy you're getting!  I'm glad your dad's special days went well and I hope YOUR Father's Day did as well.

• Upvote 2

No. It's a clean up to get the home ready for rental.  It is  a lot of heavy, deep cleaning,... mildew, mold, and rust.... Well water.  I welcome the work. 

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, iPraiseHim said:

mildew, mold, and rust.... Well water.  I welcome the work. 

Yeah, I always welcome mildew, mold, and rust too! :D

• Upvote 1

My grandma's water, in the country, was well water.  All of her glasses and dishes had a red tint to them.  The land around, one community was called "Red Land" because all the rocks and ground were red dirt.  Years ago, we did not know what we were getting/drinking/breathing.  I know after the paper mill was built in the 1930's (no, I was not born then), but they warned everyone about eating the fish caught out of Bodcau, the bayou that ran from Arkansas through our state.  Years later it was cleaned up, but I suspect some remained forever.  Mama told me I was getting iron from the water which was good for me.  Tasted bad.  We had to put a filter on our well water when living in the country when we moved to Arkansas after we retired.  Made our pipes have a black tinge and it was a deep well.  The people who bought it are still living, and he is a doctor, so figure it was safe.  

11 hours ago, kayc said:

Yeah, I always welcome mildew, mold, and rust too! :D

Six hours, to hand scrub top to bottom a master bathroom. Another 4 hours to clean another two bedrooms.  I'm tired. 

• Upvote 2

I'm sorry, George, are you done there?

• Upvote 1

No. I still have two more days for this special job; Saturday and Monday.  The work is harder physically but I seem to have some increase in energy to work.  Today and Friday, I have my regular clients.

My sister and her hubby left for five days in Florida.  My Dad drove them to the airport. Returned to feed their cat and check the mail. Today's temps reached in the 90's with high humidity. I visited my Dad this evening, brought a healthy meal to share and a home grown tomato ( a client gave me) and avocado. ( My Dad was not able to put in a garden this year with his medical issues.) He enjoyed the meal and the company.  He forgot I was coming over today despite me reminding him yesterday and this afternoon.  His eyesight is improving after the cataract surgery.    

This food plan is working for me.  I'm not hungry and I'm dropping lbs and inches. And I'm not craving foods like I have on other food plans.   I am hoping my shoulders will start to improve soon.  It's time for sleep again.<_< - Shalom

• Upvote 4

If your dad is that forgetful, I wouldn't want to leave him in charge of feeding my cat!  That's scary!

Congrats on the weight loss, George!

• Upvote 1

Thank you.

I call my Dad daily and my sister can also tell by their home security system log that he is checking on the cat.   My sister has another two vacation trips planned this summer; for one week and two weeks.  I think she is reconsidering the two week trip. 

12 hours ago, iPraiseHim said:

my sister can also tell by their home security system log that he is checking on the cat.

Wow, what a novel idea!  I don't think of those things because I've never had a security system.  My DOG is my security system!  (That and my Pink Lady).

• Upvote 1

Thank goodness I am off tomorrow.  I worked to the point of exhaustion.  My body is still adapting to this different way of eating. I had an intense urge to eat a high carb meal that would have set me back. I was sorely tempted when I cried out to God to help me resist as I didn't have the strength.  He granted my prayer and gave me a surge of energy and a changed mindset. I was able to cook and eat.  I realize I have been using food for more than fuel for my body.  I need to plan ahead for times like this so I'll have ingredients prepped and  a few meals prepared in advance.  I am thankful for the extra work but my body is getting older and my left shoulder is still giving  me trouble still. I have been interviewing someone for a possible hire.  It looks promising so far. ;) - Shalom

• Upvote 2

George, I am an emotional eater too, so I can relate.  Just as people can drink to anything, I can eat to anything!  This heat is curbing my appetite, maybe that'll help. ;)

Good luck with the new hire!

• Upvote 1

I made enchiladas and shared them with my Dad this evening.  He sure appreciated the company.  My sister usually has him over for dinner on Sunday but she is out of town.  My Dad reminisced about his early work life, and meeting, marrying, and sharing their lives together.  He said, "When I met your Mom I just knew she was the one. Although we came from two different living environments (Dad-farming, Mom-city raised) we had so much in common and we really understood each other.!"  They were married 51 years.  It is good to share time with my Dad now.  - Shalom

• Upvote 3

That is so special.  My parents also had quite the love story, although my dad died way too young (62).  Enchiladas!  I'll be right over! :D

• Upvote 2

Here are my results for the first month following this Ketogenic lifestyle. I've lost two inches in my waist and 15 pounds.

I am still experiencing some energy dips at the end of some work days so I received some coaching to help that situation.  I recognize that my weakness can be from just not eating enough to handle my work load. I find it difficult to eat now because I'm just not hungry.  Food is just fuel.  I eat foods I like within the guidelines. Keeping it simple works for me. For the first time in many years, I stop work and eat my real food instead of protein bars and shakes for lunch.

Setback. I have caught a cold and just been miserable the last three days.  I miss my partner in life comforting me...  just another reminder.

BTW, my sister has DECIDED now that she wants to go with Dad & I on his next Kidney Dr. appointment so she can hear the results of Dad's tests directly.  Still remembering... " I need to step up to the plate!"  My sister is out of school work for the summer and "in-between" her next two summer vacation trips. I had to move my work schedule to accommodate this next appointment for Dad. I am not having "peace" about this situation so I'm considering "bowing out" since she wants to take charge.Three people in the Dr.'s office is just crowded and disruptive.  

I have something else I need to share but it would make this post too long. Until next time! - Shalom  

• Upvote 1

George, I was just about to suggest you let her take your dad then since she's now bent on going, when I see that's what you've already decided to do!  (Great minds think alike :) )

Having controlling people around can be really challenging.  My mom was one and my kids' dad was one.  So is one of my sisters...I don't think she sees it that way, she just thinks she knows better than us and is always "looking out for us"...if we reject her advice, she takes it personally and gets offended, no matter how tactful or sensitive we phrase it. :wacko:  Yikes!  Are all families like this?!  Yeah, probably, to some degree.  When we get to know people really well, we find out their families have flaws too.  

• Upvote 2