Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Shock and Awe after two years...

Kay, I always say if Adam and Eve's family was the first family,, and Cain killed Abel, then I guess we all come from some dysfunctional family.  I think sometimes mine will kill me, and they might, but only cause I let them.  Not my intentions, but............

• Upvote 1

My Rant:

This has been building for some time and it is really beginning to bug me.

You see, I trusted the doctors because they are supposed to know what is best when treating a patient.  The standard protocol to treat Type 2 Diabetes is to control their blood sugars through medications and diet. The ADA ( American Diabetic Association) has promoted a low FAT, High CARB diet for the last 50 years.  The premise is that FAT makes you fat.  And also EAT LESS and MOVE MORE.  We are told that once you have Type 2 diabetes you will have for the rest of your life. 

I remember specifically asking Rose Anne's Internist if there were ANY side effects to taking insulin.  His reply was "NO. Just be sure you eat enough carbs so the Blood sugars don't drop too low". Rose Anne gained 20bs in ten days just from the insulin injections.

Type 2 Diabetes used to be called "SUGAR Diabetes"CARBS=SUGAR  The body becomes "INSULIN RESISTANT". So why would a doctor prescribe insulin to their patient if they are "INSULIN RESISTANT". Basically all of the additional insulin in your body causes multiple health problems and early death.  I remember, Rose Anne saying, " I just feel so old".  Now I know why.

I don't blame the doctors, look who trains the doctors, and nurses and where do they get their funding/teaching from. Same goes for the FDA, AMA, ADA and several other groups.  Follow the money.

There is a solution and a better way to treat Diabetes.  For those of you who are interested here is a short video by a renowned doctor who has found another way:

For those who are overweight/obese, like me, Here is an in-depth study into the

The Aetiology of Obesity (A new Hope)

Rant closed - Shalom

• Upvote 1

I am continuing to recover from this summer cold I caught about 2 weeks ago.  I foolishly stopped using the essential oils that were protecting me.  The bottle was empty and I was "too busy" to fill it.  I have not had a cold in two years.  So, I filled the bottle and I am using it daily again.

I discovered why I was so low in energy after working all day.  My body also loses the iodine with the additional water loss. So yesterday, I supplemented with additional iodine and I feel great.

Another NSV( non Scale Victory).  I notice there is a four inch gap from my belly to the steering wheel now.  Amazing.  No hunger and no cravings anymore.  I've lost three inches from the stomach and twenty pounds since starting this lifestyle of eating. Keeping it Simple.

I spoke with my sister today and she is still trying to "convince me" to go with her to Dad's Dr. Appt.  She has even enlisted friends, and family that agrees with her! (no pressure... wink, wink). I thanked her for taking Dad and said I was concentrating on getting more business.  ;)

Life sure has it's twists and turns. It feels good to take care of my health and I see some hope to better health.  I started my flying again with renewed interest. I think I have found a way to partially pay for it.  A lighter body with more energy, and flexibility is what I need to pursue my passion for flying:wub:.  - Shalom

• Upvote 4

George,

I love how you are taking care of yourself and seeing results!  I also love how you're not letting your sister get to you. :)

• Upvote 3

I visited my Dad last evening and brought dinner.  It is the first time i have ordered fast food since I switched to this way of eating.  I ordered two Whoppers.  One without the bun and asked them to use the lettuce leaves as a wrap. The cashier seemed puzzled but said they could do it.  When I arrived at my Dad's and checked our dinner... I was very surprised.:o  In a big box marked " SWEET.SYRUPY. STACKS." I opened it to fine one dried out hamburger patty with shredded lettuce sprinkled on top. No condiments.. nothing.  Fortunately Dad's sandwich was okay.  I chuckled for the longest time...

I also bought another used computer to install and get operating so he can check his e-mail and banking.  He was very pleased.  I will try and fix his other computer later.

My sister took Dad to the kidney doctor for the evaluation of all of Dad's additional tests.  The doctor said that he was puzzled by the test as nothing showed up abnormal except the high protein loss.  August 2nd, the doctor will do a biopsy of the kidney.  The doctor suspects it is possibly some type of cancer.  Dad will stay in the hospital overnight for observation.  

It is blazing hot out here. Another heat advisory tomorrow as the the heat index is expected to climb to 105-110.  Life continues to march forward as I continue to miss my beloved, Rose Anne.  This afterlife is surreal at times.  - Shalom 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

Thinking of you George.  It is hotter than the bad place here.  Well, for me it's hot if it's above 85°F

Good for you letting your sister do things she previously offered to do.  It takes a lot of energy to work with people who seem to work against you and yet claim they do it all.

I hope all goes well with your Dad's health and yours too.  I thought Whoppers were supposed to be 'your way' and I don't think you got what you expected.  Thanks for the laugh ?

• Upvote 2

George,

I had to laugh at your "hamburger".  :lol: Maybe all their lettuce comes shredded, if so, he should have told you up front.  Most places make wraps, that might have been easier to deal with.   You're a good son to your father!  I hope and pray it's not cancer.  Such a horrid word that can strike up fear in the strongest of us.

Marita, 

For me hot is 80 and up!  I'm a wus, I like 70s. :)

• Upvote 2

I have been thinking about this biopsy procedure that is scheduled for my Dad.  It is to determine if it is cancer.  My Dad has said many times that he does not want to go through radiation, chemotherapy, or dialysis. 

I called my sister to discuss options yesterday and she only had a "short window" to talk yesterday with all of her scheduled activities. I don't believe it is necessary to put my Dad through such a procedure given his decline in health and limited treatment options. When I brought up some questions for us to discuss my sister got very defensive and hostile in her tone.  She is convinced she is right and will be able to talk Dad into doing whatever she thinks is best.  My Dad is in such a confused mental state that he would probably just follow what she wants.  

My sister and husband is leaving for another two week vacation to see her son/two grand kids this afternoon. I don't have peace about this whole situation.... This is why families grow apart.  - Shalom

• Upvote 3

George, I never faced the DNR meaning in all my years of working medical.  When Billy was gone, I saw his death mask, they felt a faint pulse.  What did I want to do.  The kids were not there to say goodbye, my mind was the most numb, cold, ineffective, insane it had ever been.  I had them bring him back to life.  How cruel.  OMGosh I hope I did not hurt him terribly.  He was not conscious.  He could not speak.  He knew no one.  He was for all intents and purposes already dead.  I cannot look back.  I was wrong, but I have to forgive that part of me that was not me, I was an unperson at that moment in time.  I saw them working on his body and I was immobile.  I was gone too.

My mother had thyroid problems.  In her 80's they did a biopsy.  They did not get enough tissue and wanted to do it again.  She begged us no.  So, we obeyed her wishes.  No more invasive tests on my mama.  

I do not want anything else done for me.  They threw my naked body on the MRI table, No drapes or sheets for modesty. I felt like a slab of beef hanging in a cooler, waiting to be cut into steaks, etc.  I was thinking with all the people coming in and out, they would not want their mother to be treated like this.  There has to be some sort of decorum for us old folks.  They have to let us have some dignity.  My poor Billy did not have any dignity allowed him by me.  I cannot keep second guessing myself on that.  I was totally insane at those moments.  Talking to me made no sense to me or them.  

We old people need some peace and dignity in our last days.  If your dad does not want these tests, if you think his body would not take all the wear and tear that the tests would terrorize him, please do not let him have to face them.  

On one of my x-rays/MRI's it came back showing seeding of what they felt was colon cancer, or seeding from my old cancer.  The oncologist, who had come to tell me the oddity of the Factor IX in my blood (no death sentence, an oddity he had found and was there to discuss it.  He was proud of himself, and me).  But, when they were telling me this, he was in the room.  He told the interventional radiologists, there must have been three of them in my room, he told them "no, that is not possible" so I underwent no more tests and three years and four months later, I am none the worse for wear than when I began this journey.  

Dignity to old people is very important.   I know I have mentioned my mom and her loud, boisterous, crude talking sisters.  One had lost her husband to prostate cancer.  Daddy had just had the radical surgery and my aunt came down the hall of the hospital in her loud voice entering the room "Did they cut your ______ off yet, Elvie?"  And we talk about rude and insensitive people.   I knew the queens of rude and insensitive.

• Upvote 3

Dear George,I'm very sorry to read about your dad's struggles and yours about what to do.  you're right, it is the kind of situation that keep family members apart from each other. I hope it won't be your case.

Dignity and compassion should prevail.  Often, they are forgotten. 

I wish you wisdom and peace. Shalom 

• Upvote 4

George,

I pray your sister comes to some sense.  It should be your dad's decision how to handle it.  My mother-in-law got cancer, she was my best friend, the mom I always wanted.  She tried chemo for a bit but then opted not to go through it any more.  It might have prolonged her life but made it miserable in the meanwhile.  Being as she didn't have a chance at being cancer-free, why go through it?  We had invasive people suggesting this and that to her, she was bothered by their thinking they knew best for her.  We, her family, respected HER wishes and set out to make her life as comfortable as possible.  They had sent her home from the hospital with a possible three weeks.  She lived nearly three years after that.  I was her caregiver in the daytime, my FIL was with her at night, she stayed in her own home.  We set up a hospital bed in the living room.  I feel good about how we cared for her, she was surrounded by those who loved her.  The last month we limited visits to family and pastor.  It was a hard road but a special time too, one I'll never forget.  

Hospice came out twice a week (we're in a rural area) and was a help.  A lady from our church was a beautician and she came and did her hair in mom's home as that was important to her.  Our pastor was good at visiting often.  Our country doctor would stop by and visit, no charge.  These are the people we appreciated during her care.

Keeping your dad and family in my prayers.

• Upvote 1

Angela Furey-Demas
    •  

....Love is forever

....Love is forever

It's been almost two years since our Angela has passed......Seems like she's still here at times....Love is forever

Angela Furey-Demas June 11, 1944 – July 25, 2015Passed away suddenly in Grand Forks, British Columbia, Angela Furey-Demas formerly of Avondale, Conception Bay, Newfoundland. Angela’s brilliant and creative mind earned her highest academic scholarships to pursue teacher education at St. Bride’s Colle...
grandforksgazette.ca

June 11, 1944 – July 25, 2015

Passed away suddenly in Grand Forks, British Columbia, Angela Furey-Demas formerly of Avondale, Conception Bay, Newfoundland. Angela’s brilliant and creative mind earned her highest academic scholarships to pursue teacher education at St. Bride’s College and Memorial University of NL. Angela’s teaching career spanned 37 years throughout Newfoundland, Ontario and Alberta. Although she began her teaching career as a junior high teacher, Angela devoted most of her passion for teaching early childhood and primary children. Angela retired in September 2001 to spend more time with her family and in 2008 she and her husband Kevin Demas moved to Grand Forks, B.C. to enjoy the climate, golfing, and gardening.

Angela is predeceased by her father Arthur Furey, infant siblings Mary and William, sister-in-law Jenny Furey and first husband Frank Morgan. She is survived by her husband and soul mate, Kevin Demas, mother (Anastasia Furey), daughter (Michele Nichols), siblings Beth, Edith, Mary (Brian), Art (Karen), Gerard (Pat), Harold (Agnes), Pad (Sharon), and Nick (Bernadette), her special grand children (Anastasia Nichols, Zachary Patterson, Paige Lawson-Demas and Bailey, Montana, Nathaniel and Nick Demas) as well as a large circle of nieces, cousins and friends. Viewing was held in the Chapel of Grand Forks Funeral Home on Tuesday, July 28 at 2:00 p.m., Grand Forks, B.C.

A funeral mass will take place at Assumption church, Avondale, Newfoundland in September. Flowers gratefully accepted or donations in Angela’s memory may be made to the Heart & Stroke Foundation or Alzheimer’s Society. Angela was a kind wonderful person who truly loved life. She will be dearly missed and forever in our hearts, thoughts, prayers and memories.

•  
  • Like 4

I think they will always be here in some way or the other.  A sound made in the house (even though he never lived here), my son calling and sound just like him, I even imagined him sitting in the passenger seat when I went to town.  I wake up in the morning and usually I have to say, "no, he is not here" and I am not disappointed because I know he is not here again and again.  Nothing new.  I'm glad I have dream amnesia because I think I've dreamed of him.  I don't see him anywhere else though.  I think about him telling me, when I thought I was dying (I worried all the time about it) in my early 40's.  Finally he told me if I left I would be free of pain and worry.  So Billy, I am glad you don't have pain and worry, but I sure miss you.  I don't have anyone to share my worry with now, except the forum, and it helps, but not like Billy helped.  He was so calm and laid back to my anxiety.  Sometimes he would get kinda angry because I worried so much so I guess he just left me with it.  

Kevin, I say I hate dates, but somehow or other they always slap me in the face.  How could my beautiful month of October, when we took pictures of the autumn leaves, how could that be my tormenting month.    I hate October and won't watch or read anything published in 2015.  Silly, I know.  

I'm glad you got to be with family recently anyhow.

• Like 1

Kevin, 

July 25 was my daughter's "due date" of the baby she lost.  It's tough facing "dates" that have hard meaning.  Thinking of you as the day approaches...

Marg, 

My birthday is in October, so I hope the whole month isn't ruined!  Seriously, I know what you mean, that's June for me (my dad's birthday 10th, my parent's anniversary 10th, George's birthday 14th, and the worst of all...his death day on the 19th which wouldn't you know had to be Father's Day that year.

This week was a little bit of deja vu........Two years ago ,same grandson and father just finished a perfect visit.....Left on a Saturday Morning.....Angela died that afternoon in a Movie Theater.....You never know what the day may bring........happy for the Memories

©

• Like 2

It's hard.  Tomorrow my daughter should be having a baby, instead of struggling, piece-mealing work to make ends meet after her husband left her.  How her life has changed!  I think I'll send her a text tomorrow, I won't be able to talk with her but want her to know I'm thinking of her. 

Kevin, it's hard to believe it's been two years, seems yesterday and eternity at the same time, doesn't it.  I hope the day goes better than you anticipate, do you have any plans in mind?

On 7/23/2017 at 9:38 AM, kevin said:

This week was a little bit of deja vu........Two years ago ,same grandson and father just finished a perfect visit.....Left on a Saturday Morning.....Angela died that afternoon in a Movie Theater.....You never know what the day may bring........happy for the Memories

Kevin:  Two years is nothing....everyone thinks that's a long time, but really not.  It's been 2 years for me also.....

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Life Update:

• My Dad's kidney biopsy was yesterday and he is at home resting comfortably.  The results will be in next week.
  • My Car failed inspection last week and needed repair  $750. Thankfully, I have a "rainy-day fund" for events like this so there is much financial peace.
  • I had lost 35lbs previously but was in a stall for quite awhile. In two month's following this KETO lifestyle, I have lost 30lbs, 4 inches in my waist, and many other wonderful changes. I plan to continue to follow this healthier way of eating and living.   
  • Now I need to go buy some smaller clothes...
  • Work is busy this week.  It is still extremely warm here.

This month (16th) will be 2 & 1/2 years Since Rose Anne died. I'm still dealing with it and trying to move forward.  Life is so different now.  Shalom    

• Like 3

So glad to hear all your news, George!  It's been 102-110 all week this week.  I waited to die when it was 110 but somehow managed to live through it.  I can't imagine doing anything physical in this (no A/C), so I feel for you with your type of work.  You can be proud of yourself for sticking to this plan and losing weight!  It's paying off.  As for your dad, I hope with you as you await the results...

• Like 1

16 hours ago, kayc said:

So glad to hear all your news, George!  It's been 102-110 all week this week.  I waited to die when it was 110 but somehow managed to live through it.  I can't imagine doing anything physical in this (no A/C), so I feel for you with your type of work.  You can be proud of yourself for sticking to this plan and losing weight!  It's paying off.  As for your dad, I hope with you as you await the results...

Fortunately, my work is INSIDE an air-conditioned home.  I did an estimate on Tuesday in home with no A/C.  It was so hot and humid that it was difficult to breathe.

My car A/C doesn't work. I found out that the clutch fell off of the compressor so I need another one.  I have endured the heat for three months now but it is really hot in the car.  I have a little fan that plugs into the cigarette lighter. 

kayc, I've been praying for you and all in Washington State.  It is so unseasonably hot. 

My electric bill went up 40% due to the high temps (on budget billing).  The power company suggested I setback the thermostat to 80^ when I leave my home for work but my home wouldn't cool down enough to sleep at night if I did that.  - Shalom

Here they're suggesting 75-78, but I don't have A/C either.  My daughter is in a 4th story apt. and they just ruled no more window A/C units, so she's been sweltering, esp. since heat rises.  I really feel sorry for her!  A friend just told her he has a unit that is stand alone, and vents out the window he's going to loan it to her, but we just went through the worst of the heat wave.  Now we're down to 90s.  They've been under predicting every day by 7-8 degrees.  :angry:

I think they told me it's about $300 for a new A/C clutch this summer, mine had problems but turned out to be a rock chip in the compressor, I got it fixed.

• Like 1

Weather outlook  for us in the inland Washington/Southern BC is 15 more days of  85+ highs......and we are getting smoke from the Fires.....Usually dissipate with the winds by noon(hope winds don't change).......Don't over do it and keep hydrated.......  

• Like 1