Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Only 2 1/2 years of happiness

Heavens Mama

In August 2014 Heaven, a blue nosed pit bull was rescued from death row, starved, over bred and covered in bites and stage 3 heartworms. I always wanted a blue and from her photos I knew I wanted her... in December 2014 I took her home. She had many medical issues she had to fight due to her past and at the end of this past February I knew I was losing the best thing to ever happen to me. She had a lot of friends and I invited her friends to come see her to say goodbye, we thought we had a good week left but it turned into 2 days. My husband and I took her to our vet and they had a room prepared with a blanket for her, every vet tech was with us, I was nose to nose with her looking into her eyes, she knew exactly what was happening and I told her Dr to go ahead. This wasn't my first time losing a loved Pet in such a humane way, each one is different and as her Dr told me what she was doing I told Heaven how much I loved her, she let out a sigh layed her head on my arm and she was gone. The vet techs, even the Dr was crying with me and her daddy, she was that special. I didn't want to get her go, I played with her horribly cropped ears and held her til they began to cool sobbing into her fur. 

The week after she died was bike week, I saw so many people who loved her and I cherished each one of their hugs, I wanted to get lost in some, never let go. I just want to bury my head in a friends arms and sob. The day I saw the woman who rescued her she hugged me and I didn't ever want her to let go. Luckily she had important visitors so I had to, lucky for her that is. I know I'm not alone in my grief but I've been down this road before and none of the losses ever hurt like this. I'm so lost without her! She was my fur baby, the Best Thing I Ever Did, the smile on my face. Is it wrong to say that losing family members didn't even hurt like this? How do parents who lose children manage? Some days I feel like I'm going to fall completely apart and my husband will find pieces of me when he gets home. The more time goes by the worse the pain gets... I don't get it? I just want her back.... so bad.. 

We were recently interviewed and you can read about her life... 

http://www.ormondbeachobserver.com/photo-gallery/after-years-of-abuse-and-overbreeding-this-therapy-dog-has-found-herself-in-the-right-home-a-senior-home

IMG_0192.PNG.bc1521a4de7951fe8bb5b1985c33a05d.PNGIMG_0194.PNG.fdcee024b07323c25e4752330ffecaba.PNG

• Upvote 1

I'm so sorry for your loss, Lysa. Clearly Heaven is a very special dog ~ with a name that suits her perfectly. I'm glad she had a mom like you to give her the life and the home she was meant to have. Thank you for sharing your story with us. I wish for peace and healing to your broken heart 

• Upvote 2

She got her name at her rescue, they said she had been thru so much hell shes in Heaven now. How do I live with the pain of her loss? I don't want to "move on" or forget, I've actually had days where I can't leave my house... I get In the shower and I start to sob, things go down hill from there. I don't understand why my pain gets worse as the days go by, in the past I'd be sad then mad then numb. I haven't even gotten throw something at the wall mad like I did when one of my cats passed suddenly. I don't know how to handle it and my friends don't know how to help. 

Heavens Mama,

I responded to you elsewhere already, I'm getting these threads out of order, sorry!  I just want to say, your dog was very fortunate to gain you as her mama, and I'm so glad for the time you got to share together.  I know it hurts, I'm so sorry.

• Upvote 1

KayC, I've always said I was the lucky one, she was the most incredible girl. I miss us staring into each other's eyes or snuggled on the couch. the looks I got when we were in the car, the people who would stop us on the street. Omg, she touched so many lives, we were attached at the hip and we loved it. She was able to change many minds about her breed and that was huge. 

• Upvote 1

My neighbor had a Pit Bull and she was the sweetest girl you'd ever meet!  She'd never hurt a soul.  She lived to be 19 and I still miss her.

IMG_9656.JPG

• Upvote 1