Grief Healing Discussion Groups

The Truth About Life

I think at this point we all know the "ugly" truth about life. The one in which we overlooked when we all were whole but can no longer look pass. The truth that has been there since day one but yet we thought we could manipulate. But that truth is front and center at this point. So what is the truth about life? The truth is we have no control over it....none. No matter what we do life will do what it wants. 

I've realized as much as I thought I had control over my life I never did and I never will. We are all pieces on a game board in which is played by one person....or higher being. (Religious beliefs). So I gave up trying to fight the inevitable and trying to control what I obviously can't.  Realizing the control isn't yours leaves you less disappointed. 

Wish I came to this realization years ago.....

• Upvote 3

AB3, ... you have shared true wisdom. 

We are taught that we have control in our life but it is an illusion.  We have choices to make. Wisdom comes from seeking wise counsel and following that.  Death is an arbiter that none of us can control.  We do have choices that can help us.  There is a purpose and plan in all of this life.  Each of us is unique and individual yet flawed.  Self-control, self-esteem, is an illusion that tricks us into believing we have control. 

WE are all a part of something bigger.  I know I am not in charge but I am responsible for the decisions I chose.  My feelings can confuse me with the facts (reality) of life.  I struggle with loneliness and the loss of my best friend in life. I know I need to care for myself as well as I took care of all of the other people in my life. 

My hope is in Christ for I am weak and He is strong.  Each of us needs to find where to draw the strength from.  Something that is beyond ourselves. I do know that when you seek after something with your whole heart you will find it. - Shalom, George       

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, iPraiseHim said:

WE are all a part of something bigger.  I know I am not in charge but I am responsible for the decisions I choice.  My feelings can confuse me with the facts (reality) of life.  I struggle with loneliness and the loss of my best friend in life. I know I need to care for myself as well as I took care of all of the other people in my life. 

Very true George,

I keep this in mind: I lived the best parts of my life already....that was God's gift to me, the remainder of the time I have here is my gift to him....living my true purpose fulfilling whatever he has put me here for.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Gin said:

part of my life was God's gift to me.   Now the rest will be my gift to God.

I like that.

I think there's some things we have some degree of control over but a whole lot we don't either.

• Upvote 2

I think Kay and George (and probably many others) is that we have a lot less control,than we were ever told.  We can control inanimate objects like cars and TV's.  We can control when schedule doctor visits for our schedules.  But by and large the only thing we can control is our reaction to what happens around and to us.  Sometimes even that feels out of our control.  Every day I want to feel more in control of how I handle this new life, but often I don't.  Maybe it will come in time.  The best I can do is not take things personally like the universe or whatever has it out for me.  Things happen as they always did.  I just had a completely different mindset.  I had someone to tell about it and diffuse the 'why me?'.  In fact, I don't even recall having that reaction back then.  It was either timing or happenstance.  I will say that this death has hammered home any thoughts I had control of life's plans.  I miss that little bit of innocence and naivety.

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Gwenivere said:

But by and large the only thing we can control is our reaction to what happens around and to us

I couldn't state it better!

We have control over how we take care of ourselves, our attitudes and responses, but all we can do is the best we can with the hand we're dealt.  So much seems thrown at us that we do not have control over.

• Upvote 1