Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Is it Grief, or Just...Life?

Amy Wamy

Hello!

Every now and then, I'll find myself drifting away from this forum, but for some reason, I always end up back here reading and thinking. 

So, I'll explain the title of this post - "Is it Grief, or Just...Life?". Basically, I don't know what's going on. I'm in my final year at University and I have lost interest in my course (I'm studying Music Composition for Film and Games), but not music itself - I still love playing my piano. Not only have I lost interest in the course, I also think I am numb to emotion and I've felt that way for a while, must be over a year I suppose. I've no idea what that means. Is it grief? Is it just life as a 24 year old? It worries me a lot. My get up and go, has got up and gone! I'm graduating in September, and while I have some plans on what I want to do, if they don't work out then I've got absolutely no idea. 

Possible solutions are counselling, I attempted it again, but when they called me for an assessment, I didn't answer the phone. I blame my anxiety or fear. I'd like to try it again, but I always seem to fall at the final hurdle....also, apologies if this post in the wrong place! 

• Like 1

Grief can cause us to lose interest in things we previously enjoyed.  And it can be really hard to get it back.  I'm glad you haven't lost interest in music itself.  Do you need this course for your degree?  If so, push through it, but if not, perhaps drop it.

Amy, my dear, it seems to me that as September approaches, you are facing yet another major life transition: graduation from college. That is no small event, and I think you are wise to consider a session or two with a qualified counselor to help you sort through what is on your mind as you begin your "no-longer-a-student" life. Also, I invite you to read this article: Transition After Loss: Tips for Navigating the Neutral Zone 

• Upvote 1

• 6 months later...

This is a very late reply but I feel the same way. I have lost interest in a lot of things. I too drift away from the forum and then here I am. Im hoping its just the resurfacing of grief but I do have little interest now. I don't watch much tv more or get on my computer like I used to. I just sleep, eat and work! Maybe that's adulthood though. Its very boring though.

Im in therapy and it helps a little but its still hard. It at least keeps me accountable.

• Like 2

Try baby steps, getting out a bit here and there, involve yourself with the outside world in some way, spend some time with others.  I'm still struggling to enjoy the hobby I enjoyed for most of my adult life, it feels like low grade depression, I'm functional, but that "something" is gone.  I hope it returns.  I work very hard at balance in my life and that helps my sanity.

• 3 years later...

Not feeling emotions or being numb, is a coping mechanism your mind is using because its not ready to handle the actual emotions you need to feel. I had to battle this myself and I would deflect so much that after something made me upset, an hour later I couldn't remember it. When you feel upset, you really have to sit through it and self reflect on how you can do something in a healthier way. Therapy is great, I love it. They are there to help you and it is very you paced. They just let you vent really and then it provides a safe place for you to express your emotions and figure it our yourself and then you get to walk away from it at the end of the session. Once you start going its hard to not go.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
On 4/19/2017 at 1:41 PM, Amy Wamy said:

Hello!

Every now and then, I'll find myself drifting away from this forum, but for some reason, I always end up back here reading and thinking. 

So, I'll explain the title of this post - "Is it Grief, or Just...Life?". Basically, I don't know what's going on. I'm in my final year at University and I have lost interest in my course (I'm studying Music Composition for Film and Games), but not music itself - I still love playing my piano. Not only have I lost interest in the course, I also think I am numb to emotion and I've felt that way for a while, must be over a year I suppose. I've no idea what that means. Is it grief? Is it just life as a 24 year old? It worries me a lot. My get up and go, has got up and gone! I'm graduating in September, and while I have some plans on what I want to do, if they don't work out then I've got absolutely no idea. 

Possible solutions are counselling, I attempted it again, but when they called me for an assessment, I didn't answer the phone. I blame my anxiety or fear. I'd like to try it again, but I always seem to fall at the final hurdle....also, apologies if this post in the wrong place! 

sadly. i think its life :(

• Like 1

On 1/31/2021 at 7:59 PM, Hmjohnson8 said:

Not feeling emotions or being numb, is a coping mechanism your mind is using because its not ready to handle the actual emotions you need to feel. I had to battle this myself and I would deflect so much that after something made me upset, an hour later I couldn't remember it. When you feel upset, you really have to sit through it and self reflect on how you can do something in a healthier way. Therapy is great, I love it. They are there to help you and it is very you paced. They just let you vent really and then it provides a safe place for you to express your emotions and figure it our yourself and then you get to walk away from it at the end of the session. Once you start going its hard to not go.

i lost my mum and husband and i feel numb. i feel broke i feel a mess that i couldnt say or go to their funerals thanks to covid so i am a mess trying to look after mine and my husbands daughter.

• Like 1