Amy Wamy

Is it Grief, or Just...Life?

Amy Wamy   

Hello!

Every now and then, I'll find myself drifting away from this forum, but for some reason, I always end up back here reading and thinking. 

So, I'll explain the title of this post - "Is it Grief, or Just...Life?". Basically, I don't know what's going on. I'm in my final year at University and I have lost interest in my course (I'm studying Music Composition for Film and Games), but not music itself - I still love playing my piano. Not only have I lost interest in the course, I also think I am numb to emotion and I've felt that way for a while, must be over a year I suppose. I've no idea what that means. Is it grief? Is it just life as a 24 year old? It worries me a lot. My get up and go, has got up and gone! I'm graduating in September, and while I have some plans on what I want to do, if they don't work out then I've got absolutely no idea. 

Possible solutions are counselling, I attempted it again, but when they called me for an assessment, I didn't answer the phone. I blame my anxiety or fear. I'd like to try it again, but I always seem to fall at the final hurdle....also, apologies if this post in the wrong place! 

kayc   

Grief can cause us to lose interest in things we previously enjoyed.  And it can be really hard to get it back.  I'm glad you haven't lost interest in music itself.  Do you need this course for your degree?  If so, push through it, but if not, perhaps drop it.

MartyT   

Amy, my dear, it seems to me that as September approaches, you are facing yet another major life transition: graduation from college. That is no small event, and I think you are wise to consider a session or two with a qualified counselor to help you sort through what is on your mind as you begin your "no-longer-a-student" life. Also, I invite you to read this article: Transition After Loss: Tips for Navigating the Neutral Zone 

• Upvote 1