Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Freshly broken heart....

I am dealing with more grief this week.  My sweet standard poodle, Ranger, who was 13 died on Saturday.  I knew it was coming but that does not help.  People used to say, well at least you knew the end was near and you had time about John dying of cancer.  Well, it doesn't help one bit.  It's still shocking, horrible and devastating.  John and I got Ranger together.  Ranger went down almost the same way as John, a long, slow unwinding and then suddenly he was gone.  Feeling so much sorrow, wondering will I ever see the light of day again, so much loss.  One foot in front of the other, I know.  Heartbreak on top of heartbreak.  Cookie

• Upvote 1

Cookie,. So very sorry for another loss for you.  We had our dog until he was 17, but I still mourned for him a long time.  My dear Al was sick for a long time and suffered a lot.  I think he went through horrible surgeries just so we could spend a few more years together.  No matter how they leave, slow or quickly, it hurts so much.  I wish you some kind of comfort in the weeks to come.

• Upvote 2

Oh Cookie, 

I’m so sorry you are dealing with the loss of your standard poodle, Ranger. For a pet lover, this is just devastating.  You will see the light again but only when you are ready.  My Schipperke - poodle, Benji, died a few years ago and I still miss him every day.  Do you have a picture to share? 

Anne

• Upvote 2

Cookie, my dear, I think you know by now that here you are among many animal lovers who, like yourself, have given our hearts to dogs we love, and we do understand the heartbreak of losing them to death. In addition, since you and John got him together, your Ranger was one last living link to your beloved husband. Yet another significant loss. Yet another arrow in your already broken heart. I am so sorry :(

Image result for pet loss sympathy

• Upvote 5

Cookie, I am so sorry to hear of your loss.  We had 2 dogs and lost one just before Steve died.  We went thru that together.  I got another dig, but now just have the one that was, as Marty said, the last living link to my old family.  I know I will be devastated when I lose her.  I don't know any consoling words for such pain, but I do know the pain of losing our beloved furry kids.  Truly sending you my heartfelt caring.

• Upvote 2

Cookie,  I'm so sorry for your loss of Ranger.  I understand completely the added pain to losing a pet family member that you and your husband loved and cared for / raised? together.  My heart is broken for you.  I have that facing me in the near future, with 3 old dogs and 2 old cats that he and I took in together, loved and nurtured for almost 14 years.  I know that as they each leave me I'll realize more loss of my connection to him.  One day at a time. 

• Upvote 2

Cookie, I, too, am so sorry. Not much else to say. My hubby's service dog (golden retriever) still okay but with lots of fatty tumors. Just today, I met with his wonderful puppy raiser who trained him wonderfully for two years. She just happened to be in town and called...on Hubbys phone, no less. Just happened to be charging it or would have missed her call and would not have seen it for who knows how long. It was meant to be. I asked her,if he is still here, when I am gone,would she like him...dont have to tell you she was thrilled. She is a wonderful person and my hubby and I could both rest easy knowing his faithful pal is with her. Funny as we get older, we definitely have to think of all our furbabies too. Anyway again, I am so sorry. Gentle hugs your way.2012-06-15_19-47-09_568.thumb.jpg.078d11470ddaea00692295cc5223bbe6.jpg

• Upvote 5

I lost my husband's 19 year old cat the day after his service. The cat had dementia and was so upset he couldn't find Brian. We had that cat as long as we have been married  

I also had to give away our 8 month old puppy the day Brian passed. I couldn't handle him. At 75 pounds he needed a home that could handle him. I felt the sooner I found him a home the better. 

• Upvote 2

Cookie,

I am so sorry!  Losing Ranger was a double whammy, it's hard enough to lose our beloved dog, but this was a dog the two of you shared!  Now it feels like one more thing is taking you away from the life you shared together.  You're in my prayers, Hon, I am so sorry.  (((hugs)))

Nightwinds,

I'm sorry you too had to lose some beloved pets.  I have a dog that got up to 140 lbs but my son taught me some tricks to handling him (he's extremely strong and Huskies are headstrong, not docile).  I'm 5' so it was a challenge, but I love him to pieces.

Autumn,

Is that a Golden Retriever?  My dog is 1/2 Golden Retriever, but he took after the Husky side except for the body and cysts.  Goldens life span is 9 years, which is what Arlie is, but I'm still counting on many more, he's in great shape, especially now that I cook for him, and I've always walked him twice a day, rain or shine.  I'm glad you've found someone to take him in that unlikely event, it's not easy to find that especially for bigger dogs.  I HAVE to live for my dog and cat, both which would be hard to place (my cat is 21 and grumpy but in a funny kind of way).

• Upvote 2

Cookie (it feels strange to be using that name. My wife's name was also Cookie). My sympathies 10,000 times over. I can so much relate to what you're going through after losing Ranger. I couldn't even begin to tell you how many dogs my Cookie and I had over the years. Most of them were rescue dogs. The little chauhauhau I have now also was a rescue. I have no idea what her exact age is. That's part of the package with rescue cases. We got her in the fall of 2010, and she was at least a year old then. Possibly older than that. She forgot to bring her birth certificate with her-lol.I dread the day I lose her. My wife and I had boath outlived our families. Like you, I'll be dealing with that double whammie one of these days. I'm so sorry for you. It's a tuff one.

Darrel

Mel is a pure goldie. He is 8 years old so I do worry about him. He seems fine. Crazy like a pup. Good hips and heart but goldies are prone to cancer. He is my hubby's "boy". So many remembrances of my hubby hurt...but he doesnt. Our other two dogs and cat are wonderful too but he is super special.

• Upvote 1

I'll make it easy for you...

The Rainbows Bridge Poem
RainbowBridge.com

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Here you go, Cookie:

• Upvote 3

Heartfelt thanks to you all.  I know we're all in this together and bless you for sharing your stories.  I loved the rainbow bridge story.  Down below is Ranger at about 2 months and with John just before he died.  I am missing my two guys, but see them riding together always...love to all, Cookie

Ranger MVC-026S.JPG

713.JPG

• Upvote 4

Oh Cookie, what a treasure this picture is.  Yes, I am crying hard.  There is a book or article by Billy Graham that mentions our fur babies being in heaven and I won't go into it,, my mind won't comprehend it right now, I'm so sorry. 

• Upvote 3

Oh Cookie, your Ranger is beautiful!  I love standard poodles!  Such smart beautiful creatures.  I'm sure your Ranger is enjoying a ride!

• Upvote 1