Grief Healing Discussion Groups

I'M BACK!!!!

Hello Again, One & All. First things first...I wonder if anyone is willing to accept my sincere apology for my temper outbursts before I dropped off the face of the earth? It is heartfelt, and I hope you will.

I've been going thru some hellacious problems---both health and money related---and maybe that contributed to my temper having a terribly short fuse. My heart started playing really cute tricks on me in March after Social Security decided they like me entirely too much. Two different times since Jan 1st my monthly benefit i received in two different months was cut in half. The second time it happened the amount i received wasn't even enough to cover my rent for March, and I ended up being homeless and living in my car for a short time. Please understand...I'm not explaining any of this looking for anyone's pity. I'm merely explaining what maybe caused me to be such a jerk here awhile back. I think----think positive Darrel---that i've got the problem straightened out finally. It's been a long and frustrating situation, compounded by government employees that just couldn't care less when their mistakes create real problems for people. But it's all good. I only have to "live with them" for brief intervals of time. They have to live with themselves each and every day of their lives. So I'm the winner here.

Anywho...I hope everyone has been plodding along okay. I see some new "faces" here. My sympathies for why you are here.

One foot in front of the other...

Darrel

My dear Darrel, I'm just delighted to see you back with us ~ Welcome! And relieved to learn that things are going better for you now. We all understand that the world keeps turning regardless of the fact that we are struggling with our own significant losses, and life can become beyond stressful at times. It's good to have you back ~ You've been sorely missed 

• Upvote 2

Welcome home, Darrel!

Many of us lose our minds temporarily and do & say things totally out of character after the loss of our loved ones. Even after all this time, some days I am still searching for mine. Financial devastation is another side effect for some of us also, as if we didn't already feel stomped into the ground. I have learned to exist one day at a time, doing the best that I can. Tomorrow will have to take care of itself.

I'm sorry you have been through such an awful time and hope that your health and financial situation continues to improve.

Karen

• Upvote 1

Thanks everyone for your kindness and understanding.  And I still try to put

Darrel

[I guess there is truth in the old adage that what doesn't kill us makes us stronger]

Welcome back Darrell.  No apology.  If you apologize then I will have to also and I don't like to do that.  I have been feeling mean, and deadly for some strange reason.  Have not spit or bit yet though and I braved Walmart.  Still didn't look at people though..  I have got to make myself have a personality again.  It got lost somewhere back yonder.  

Happy to see you back anyhow.  They have not got rid of me yet, so I guess they just figure I'm here to stay and I might say something intelligent one day.  Still waiting.

• Upvote 1

Marge I gotta ask you a question. I live in the Houston area now, but I', an Okie thru and thru. I grew up always hearing about yonder. Even when I was a truckdriver and going all over this big ole country, I never for the life of me was able to find yonder. Where the heck is yonder at?

Darrell, I come from a place called "Spranghill" (Springhill), right on the Arkansas/Louisiana line.  For egg I say "aig," leg is "laig" and the only thing Billy (a man who pronounced shovel as "shevel) was when I wanted a drink of water I was thursday.    He just laughed and laughed one time when I got "aints" (ants) all over me.  Wasn't funny to me.  And, I say "ain't" for (is not).

I one time was using a wok to cook with and I always wanted to use that joke.  Susie (my boss) asked me what a wok was.  I told her it was what you thwo at a wabbit.  

I don't always say it correctly, sometimes it gets on people's nerves, but one time I talked to an AT&T fellow and finally had to call the main people to talk to and told them that it would never work for a fellow with English as a 2nd language try to talk to an old southern woman with English as a 2nd language.  :) 

As an addendum, my job was to type medical doctors that English was not even a 2nd language.  But, I sure would hate to have their job.

• Upvote 1

Darrel, it is good to know you are back. We did miss you, and I have to tell you more than one of us posted " One foot in front of the other... " again and again.

I had similar issues with Social Security last year because I earned too much the previous year. Burned me badly. I hope your luck there has improved. One thing I can tell you is that the folks in the smaller town SS offices are a lot more personable and thorough than those in the larger city offices. I had trouble in Raleigh, NC and in Fayetteville, but in Smithfield, NC those folks know how to take care of business.

Darrel,

Welcome back and welcome to Houston...good to have you here.  Finances can wreck havoc on our sanity, and trying to get people to correct their mistakes can drive us to that edge.  Sometimes one has to step back and gather our thoughts and find our "center".  Let us continue to be your sounding board, and know you are amongst friends here.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, olemisfit said:

but I', an Okie thru and thru.

Visiting Oklahoma once (more than once), but we were tent camping on a place called "Billy's Creek" of all things.  I went to the local country store and asked where I could buy fish bait.  They obviously were natives to the area and told me to take a stick, poke it in the ground and hit on it and the worms would come to the top of the ground.  Well, my Billy had never heard of it either.  I actually tried it and nothing came to the top of the ground except my ignorance.  Reminded me of one day coming in from school and my mama had towels over the telephones.  Someone had called her and told her they were going to blow the dirt out of the lines.  She felt rather foolish, I guess.  Might be a real thing, but I never tried it again.  Somewhere along the way I started feeling for the worms and quit killing them.  Now that Billy is gone, I won't fish again.  

Having lived in Arkansas and Louisiana and Louisiana supposed to be home, I find things I liked better about Arkansas.  It did not matter where I was, if Billy was there, it was home..  I feel totally homeless now.  

OMG, Darrel, I hope you have a place to lay your head now!  And to go through that in inclement weather!  I have a daughter that could be facing that, her husband decided to call it quits and she doesn't make enough $ to pay for everything by herself.  Praying for her, feel helpless not being able to help more tangibly, she could always stay here but it's nowhere near her work and there's no jobs here.

Glad to see you back, and I still use your phrase, "One foot in front of the other", I love that!

30 minutes ago, brat#2 said:

Darrel, glad to see you back and so sorry you were/are having all those problems on top of dealing with this grief thing.  It does seem to be never ending, doesn't it?

Joyce

Thanks for the kindness Joyce. And yes, the neverendingness (I just made up a new word!) does seem to be part of the package.  I tell myself that maybe this is God's ticket price for me to be able to have that forever reunion with my wife when my turn comes. If so i'll endure it with a forced smile on my face, even though the struggles now aren't always fun.  I still remember what my Grandma used to tell me as far back as 60 years ago...it takes fewer muscles to smile than it does to frown. So i make myself smile every day. Another one she used to say alot...what doesn't kill us makes us stronger.  Bless that wonderful woman's heart, she was full of those words of wisdom.

Darrel

25 minutes ago, olemisfit said:

I still remember what my Grandma used to tell me as far back as 60 years ago...it takes fewer muscles to smile than it does to frown. So i make myself smile every day. Another one she used to say alot...what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. 

Darrel, my grandma use to say those exact quotes all the time too.  The was another one that my mother used to tell me, since my mouth tends to turn down and I look like I'm mad or sad when I'm not, she use to tell me "just think that you are smiling and your lips will tend to go up, that you way don't look sad all the time".  It was good advise, but right at this moment a little hard to do sometimes.  Hugs

Joyce

It looks like my Kitty when she wakes up. :)