Grief Healing Discussion Groups

In reverse

Hello again. You will all have to forgive me for the many questions that I will inevitably have over the next while.

I appear to be having a spike in anxiety at present, having seen a therapist last week. What I'm feeling at the moment feels like how I felt in the first few days following my ex husband's death (now 3 months ago). Knotted stomach, heart pounding, lump in my throat, a really awful fear of something dreadful about to happen. I'm satisfied that these are anxiety symptoms but it feels unbearable to think I'm going backwards. It feels like a lack of progress. The urge to run and hide is so strong. My question: is this feeling of going backwards normal?

• Upvote 1

Kaybee, my dear, whatever you are feeling, you are not going backwards. Having met with a therapist last week could be a factor, as doing so may have stirred up some thoughts and feelings you thought you had put to rest. Uncomfortable as it is, this is normal. It simply means that there are unresolved issues that need to be acknowledged, examined and worked through, within the safety of your next therapy session. If you find that these anxiety symptoms are too troublesome to bear until your next appointment, please consider placing a call to your therapist now, to get the support and reassurance you need and deserve. In the meantime, this article may offer you some useful suggestions: Anxiety Attacks in Grief: Tools for Coping 

• Upvote 2

Thank you Marty. Today has been a better day. I spent most of the day walking by the sea and, as a result, the anxiety didn't feel as all consuming. The link you shared was most insightful as well. I'm so glad to have found this site!

• Upvote 1

Kaybee,

I didn't want to read this without responding, yet I have nothing to add to Marty's perfect response.  I'm glad you are feeling better.  This anxiety will likely come and go, particularly as related to what may be unresolved issues or triggers with regards to this death and all it has brought up to you.  I do hope you'll call your therapist if it hits again, and can bring it up on your next session.

• Upvote 2