Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Remembering

enna

Remembering

May 25, 2012

Dear Self,

WOW! I am still here.  Proof that survival is possible after a great loss. Today marks five years since my beloved Jim died in my arms after a five-year battle with that dreadful disease called Alzheimer. Those first years were filled with doubt that I’d make it but never giving up erased the doubt and turned it into hope. Yes, today I have hope that I will continue to find good reasons to wake up every morning and be grateful to be alive. Alive to see the beauty in nature, alive to smell the flowers in my yard and smell the aromas coming from my kitchen, ears to hear birds active in the yard calling to each other as the sun rises and music to listen to that continues being a comfort to me. Touch has been my greatest comfort along this path. There is nothing better than hugging your children, grandchildren, and friends. I believe we can survive anything if we are able to touch. I did not always feel this way but today I do and that is enough for me.

I believe that I am where I am today because of my determination to not allow grief to stop me from living a full life. This is what Jim would have wanted and because my love for him remains ever constant I make the choice to live fully.

I share the video below with you because I believe that being grateful gives us the courage to carry on when we don’t think we can.

Being Grateful

• Upvote 3

Dearest Anne,

Thinking of you today...

It doesn't seem possible it's been five years, yet to you it probably feels both like yesterday and forever at the same time.  I hope your day goes well for you as you think of your dear Jim.

• Upvote 1

Thank you to all those who remembered my Jim today.  It was one of the hardest days I've had to go through ~ after five years you would think this is not so!   Those of us who have lost loved ones will never forget them.  :wub:

• Upvote 1