Grief Healing Discussion Groups

This will be our second Father's Day.  I made plans for the first one knowing that they might not happen.  They didn't happen but I felt better knowing that I had a plan for something if we wanted to do something.  This coming Sunday is going to be more difficult in that we (30 yr son) are not as number as last year.  I haven't made any plans yet but I think I will work on that now.  Not knowing what to do is like hovering over a fire in that eventually I get burned.

I hope each one here is able to find something they can plan that will help them through the day. ? Hugs all

• Upvote 2

Father's Day, June 19, 2005 was the day I lost my George.  It will always be rough for me, and it's all the harder because everyone is busy with their families on that day so I am always alone to deal with it.

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, Polly said:

It will be a tough day for sure. I lost my dad 3 years ago and husband 19 months ago. I hate seeing all the commercials about Father's day, just a reminder of what I don't have anymore.

I felt the same way about Mother's Day. A constant reminder that she is not here to express my love for her.  Shalom

• Upvote 3

We didn't have any kids but our furry ones, but it was a special day and I am so sick of the commercials and ads for it.  It's a reminder of a family, whoever it is filled with, we no longer have.  Holidays now are so tough. I expected the biggies, but his I new to me even tho it is 3rd one without him.

• Upvote 1

Everything written about Father's Day is about someone's dad, but for me it's about losing my HUSBAND.  There's nothing written about losing your husband on Father's Day, I feel cast adrift and alone on that day.  For me it will always be about George.  It obscures anything else.  I try to make it about my son being a father, and it is, and I'm glad for that new added meaning, he's a wonderful father, but it doesn't erase the memories that come haunting me that day.

• Upvote 3

I am wondering if as we progress through the years on this journey do some dates and occasions become more difficult, perhaps because we are less numb and now we count the numbers of years our beloved been gone.  

I still haven't made any plans for tomorrow.  I'm hoping my son will think of something.

• Upvote 2

Marita, I can't speak for others but for me it is no worse or better on those dates, just hard, just something to get through. Not easy.  I haven't heard from my son or DIL so am assuming their plans don't include me.  I don't want to intrude so I'll wait and call him tomorrow afternoon and wish him a Happy Father's Day...mailed him a hand made card last week.

• Upvote 1

I know that video had to bring tears Kevin, but it is something to cherish.  I think my daughter is angry at me, so not much from her.  My son either.  I don't feel left out of anything, just feel left.  I know Billy would be waiting for his presents, that is why we called him "Billy the kid."  Best dad/mother/grandfather any kids could ever have.

My dad:  He loved us.  He was not patient at all with us.  He was from an older generation that believed "children should be seen but not heard" so he never heard us.  He did the best with what he had.  He left this old world with a smile on his face, so I figure he was happier where he was going.  Mama sapped any happiness here on Earth from him, so maybe he figured he was "free at last."  He was very stern, believed in spare the rod and spoil the child, but he was a good man through and through to neighbors, relatives, anyone he came in contact with.  He did what he thought was right, and he was well loved by everyone that knew him.  Would have been easier on him if he and Mama had known each other longer than two weeks, but I would not be here if that had happened.

Happy Father's Day to all you men on here.  I know something has gone out of our life.  We make the best with what we are left with.   

bribilly.jpg

• Upvote 4

Well, it's Father's Day today but for all intents and purposes. it's just another day for me. I worked earlier and I'm home now pretty much twiddling my thumbs. While many of my customers wished me happy Father's Day, the only family member I've heard from is Tammy's younger sister. Daughter Katie has been silent. :( 

It bother's me that Katie pretty much ignores me but I've come to accept that this is how she is. I think a lot of it has to do with the amount of guilt she feels over Tammy's death. Just the mention of Tammy's name (in any context) and she shuts down.

Life without Tammy continues to be a life that feels empty and devoid of love. It's hard to feel upbeat and positive but I try. What other choice is there, right?

• Upvote 3

Kay, I know George died on Fathers Day.  As that date changes from year to year, you are caught in a double whammy, aren't you?  The holiday and the actual date.  I was sitting on a break at the nursing home yesterday thinking today would have been a day the dogs and I would have spoiled Steve a little and you came to mind.  Some dates are fixed like Christmas, but yours jumps around.

• Upvote 3

Gwen, you're so right, it is hard getting hit with two days, one is bad enough.  It struck me yesterday that no one seemed to remember, not at church, and my phone was silent all day.  That is how it is, we go through these days alone.  My son finally returned my call last night so I could wish him Happy Father's Day...I was proposing to come up there but Bethany said they're booked through the end of July...that means I won't see my grandkids for three months.  Meanwhile, her family sees them all the time.  The kids won't know me and I'm missing out on so much with them.  I want to hold my grandson and read to my granddaughter. :(  I can't travel to see them in the winter and was hoping summer would go better...I guess not.  Kind of a depressing day, but I was busy until midafternoon...graduates' breakfast, Praise Team practice, Sunday school, church, counted $ and did some posting afterwards.  Then home alone, if I didn't have my dog and cat I'd go nuts!  Every Father's Day we have "Pies for the Guys" at my church, so I'd made a pie to take for that...all of the guys draw a number and get a corresponding pie.  George's last day on Earth he was in the hospital worrying about his pie.  I smiled as I thought of that yesterday, he loved his food!

@Mitch, I'm sorry Katie didn't do anything for you for Father's Day, that's really hard.  You've been a wonderful father to her, you deserve better than this.  

• Upvote 4

Yesterday was difficult for my son and I but in looking back on the day I can say that I feel we honored my father and my husband in a loving and happy way.

For those fathers on here, I'm remembering Mother's Day and I understand the pain many of you went through yesterday.  I am sorry you each felt the sadness and hurt. ?

• Upvote 1