• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#16 Only Child

Only Child

• Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 06:38 PM

It's so funny you mention that. Mom and I both loved music. I grew up listening to whatever good music station she tuned in to, and she taught me all the songs that went back to her time (at age 99 that's WAY back) but they were beautiful.

Sometimes, our market would have Sinatra music playing. Mom was alive at home with an Aide but as I walked the market aisles, that Sinatra music got to me, for some surprising, unknown reason, grabbing me and reminding me of Mom with a real heart-tugging sentimental feeling. This week, I heard it again, now that she was gone...and you know it hurt.

To top it all, I loved to sing and would often serenade Mom in her bed. We filmed a DVD in July/August of me singing anything going back to Mom's time that would trigger a memory. She'd sing with me! And at the end of so many songs, she'd say phrases like "oh, that was beautiful" as I believe she recalled the songs of long ago. One was more in our memory time frame (Judy Garland's "Over the Rainbow"). Saturday, I saw a rainbow here and recalled Mom and I singing that just weeks before. When I visit her grave, I always sing, the Italian song, "Mama" - as I often did. *insert lump in throat here*

Only Child

#17 shell

shell

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 10:32 PM

Only child,

How wonderful of you to sing to her. That brings tears to my eyes. I played Josh Groban for my mom. She and I both just loved his voice. The CD I have has a lot of songs that aren't even in English, but we loved listening to them anyway, even though we had no idea what the words were! He just has a phenomenal voice. Once a song is connected to a major event in your life, it will forever remind you of it. Strange how music works that way.

Hugs,
Shell

#18 Dolores (forever Sean's Mom)

Dolores (forever Sean's Mom)

• Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 05:11 PM

My songs that has helped me is When I get where I'm going-Brad Paisley, Heaven was needing a hero- Jo Dee Messina, Wind beneath my wings, and Have I told you lately that I love you- Rod Stewart. I sung this song to my son on his 18 birthday, his 19 birthday 2 months after he died, I played it at the cemetary for him. I will always play this for Sean every year. He used to say Oh! mom everytime it came on in the car and I would start singing it to him.
Wonderful, Wonderful, memories. This friday will be 7 months he has been gone!
God I still miss him.

Dolores (forever Sean's Mom)

#19 WendyJ

WendyJ

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 07:41 PM

I have a hard time listening to music and people are so surprised as music means alot to me and I love to sing. It seems that every song brings back memories and make me cry, someday I will listen to it again. The song that means the most is by Bette Midler...You are the Wind Beneath my Wings, from the minute I heard that song for the first time, I knew that song was written for my Steve. I had my daughter do a beautiful printing of it off the internet with doves around it and had it framed along with our wedding picture in a diamond picture frame for his service. I now have a dove pendant that I wear around my neck with some of his ashes in it so as he is always with me wherever I go.

Love,
Wendy wub.gif
Steve, if tears could build a stairway and memories a lane, I would walk right up to heaven and bring you home again.

#20 northern duke

northern duke

northernduke

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Interests:Reading alot, thinking, more reading.

Posted 03 October 2007 - 09:54 PM

Mom and I used to watch old Audrey Hepburn movies on occasion. We were both big fans of her and would set up specific dates during the course of a month to sit down and watch one that we hadnít seen before. I think we had gotten to "Paris When it Sizzles" before she died.
Well, at any rate I recently watched "Sabrina" by myself and really liked it. After it was over I looked over, thinking I would see mom there and ask her what she thought about it, but she wasnít there.
So many things in my life lately have involved this specific brand of "irony". The night that the final instalmet of Harry Potter came out, I went to a local bookstore at midnight to get it (it's something we would have done together). When I got there I asked for my copy that I myself had reserved a few days prior under my last name. It turned out that mom had already reserved two copys for each of us a few months before that. I should have known she'd do that. she would have enjoyed surpriseing me with it.

Music, as with so many of you also has the same effect. I love classical music and always have. Mom was the only one who liked it in our family besides me and now whenever I hear a particular symphony or score I think of her and have to turn to turn it off.

Wendy, that's very sweet what you wrote. I did the same thing with my mother's hair. After she started chemo she had a shaving party with all of her friends from her work. During the party, I took and kept a small clip of her hair and put it in a small black box on my nightstand. I came across it recently actually while I was cleaning my room. I had completely forgotten that it was there.

Edited by northern duke, 03 October 2007 - 09:55 PM.

#21 Tori

Tori

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 01:29 AM

It's always been sort of a sore spot with my family that I have no interest in any of todays popular music and I can't even stand background music when we're all together. I've explained to them over and over that with my hearing loss, music drowns out their voices, but I don't think they really understand.

Just before Christmas my middle granddaughter and I had a discussion about my seeming aversion to music. I explained that even though I hear the music just fine, the words are a jumble. If I'm going to listen to music, I'd prefer the older music whose words I know by heart. Then I told her how much I loved to listen to Johnny Mathis music years ago but I didn't mention any specific songs. She seemed to understand and we dropped the discussion.

For Christmas she surprised me with a Johnny Mathis CD and I was thrilled.
As usual I didn't listen to it with everyone here. The next time I went somewhere I took the CD with me and popped it into the cd player and prepared to enjoy the music in solitude. Suddenly this song came on and instantly reduced me to a blubbering idiot. I had to pull off the road to continue to listen to it. It was our song for the entire 53 years of marriage!

Last night after reading this thread I looked it up on the internet so I could share the Lyrics here. This is what I found to share!

Every single time I hear it, it still reduces me to a blubbering idiot but at the same time it's extremely comforting and often brings a smile through the tears. My Webpage

#22 suzanne

suzanne

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 04:27 AM

Oh Tori
Thank you for sharing that. I had forgotten that song. It is so beautiful. Brought a fresh wave of tears on but it is comforting. Like a warm blanket.
Suzanne

#23 STARKISS

STARKISS

starkiss

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts
  • Interests:my interests are in reading and scrapbooking.

Posted 20 April 2008 - 09:44 AM

Hi Tori,

What a wonderful song it is so beautiful... My mom's song was bridge over troubled waters that is what I heard the day she died and My heart will go on was the song I first heard on the day my dad died... My first song that I heard when my grandma died was yesterday by the Beatles... Thanks for sharing Shelley
Take care and God Bless You Shelley

#24 KathyG

KathyG

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 09:39 PM

The first time someone close to me died, it was my dad in 1981 and right around that time, George Harrison released "All Things Must Pass." In the months after my dad's death, I played that song over and over to remind myself that I would get through my loss and someday, I'd feel better.

The song goes like this:

Sunrise doesn't last all morning
A cloudburst doesn't last all day
Seems my love is up and has left you with no warning
It's not always going to be this grey

All things must pass
All things must pass away

Sunset doesn't last all evening
A mind can blow those clouds away
After all this, my love is up and must be leaving

All things must pass
All things must pass
None of life's strings can last
So, I must be on my way
And face another day

Now the darkness only stays the nighttime
In the morning it will fade away
Daylight is good at arriving at the right time

All things must pass
All things must pass

My dad's favorite song was "I Left My Heart in San Francisco," and to this day, a lump in my throat always comes back when I hear it. My mother didn't have a special song, but her favorite actress was Bette Davis. Every time one of her movies showed on TV, Mum and I watched it together. So now when a Bette Davis movie comes on, it's like receiving a message from my mother.

My husband and I had very different musical tastes. I often told him he was born 30 years too late, because he loved big band music and Dean Martin was his favorite singer. Bill would send me into giggles by going around the house singing his high school fight song or "Everybody Loves Somebody" in a really weird crooner-type voice. He really enjoyed making me laugh.

I had never heard Josh Groban's "To Where You Are" before, but when my niece played it at Bill's memorial service, that's when I broke down. It's still very hard for me to listen to that song. But I play it anyway because I feel closer to Bill when I do.

#25 STARKISS

STARKISS

starkiss

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 21 April 2008 - 06:51 AM

Hi All,

Thank you all for all your replies, it is just wonderful how music means so much when remembering our loved ones... Take care Shelley

#26 Midnight

Midnight

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 10:19 AM

The first time I heard this song is when my dad was in the hospital taking his last breath and I cried so much.
The last thing I said to my dad was, you have been a great dad, I love you and thank you - and then I said you can let go...

Crystal Shawanda You Can Let Go Lyrics

Wind blowin' on my face
Sidewalk flyin' beneath my bike
A five year-old's first taste
Of what freedom's really like
He was runnin' right beside me
His hand holdin' on the seat
I took a deep breath and hollered
As I headed for the street

Chorus
You can let go now, Daddy
You can let go
Oh, I think I'm ready
To do this on my own
(It's still) (It still feels) a little bit scary
But I want you to know
I'll be okay now, Daddy
You can let go

I was standin' at the altar
Between the two loves of my life
To one I've been a daughter
To one I soon would be a wife
When the preacher asked,
'Who gives this woman?'
Daddy's eyes filled up with tears
He kept holdin' tightly to my arm
'Til I whispered in his ear

(Repeat Chorus)

It was killin' me to see
The strongest man I ever knew
Wastin' away to nothin'
In that hospital room
'You know he's only hangin' on for you'
That's what the night nurse said
My voice and heart were breakin'
As I crawled up in his bed, and said

You can let go now, Daddy
You can let go
Your little girl is ready
To do this on my own
It's gonna be a little bit scary
But I want you to know
I'll be okay now, Daddy
You can let go
You can let go

The song that I played at the service was
Thank YouBy Johnny Reid

If I only had, two words left to say to you.
With my last breath I'd come face the truth to you.
You've never left my side, even when I fell behind.
Thank-you, thank-you for the life you've given me.
Thank-you for sharing all your love and all your dreams.
Thank-you for every tear of happiness I've cried.
Thank-you for laying down beside me here tonight.
When I close my eyes, I say a prayer for one more day with you.
And when I wake, I embrace the one who pulls me though.
Who pulls me through the storm when I can't go on.
Thank-you for sharin' all your love and your dreams.
Thank-you, for every tear of happiness I've cried.
Thank-you for layin' down beside me here tonight.

You've never let me down.
Its like you don't know how.
Thank-you, for sahrin all your love and all your dreams.
Thank-you.
Thank-you.

#27 MartyT

MartyT

Counselor

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,113 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 03:44 PM

Dear Ones,

This beautiful song was written by Kathy Cochran, who believes the lyrics were given to her spiritually as a way "to reassure all of you that your loved one is happy and safe on the other side, and for you to know that you will be together again." You can read the story behind the song at Kathy's Web site, www.SpiritLyric.com, where you can also listen to it performed by vocalist Tiffany Coburn: Until We're Together Again.

Until We're Together Again
© Katherine J. Cochran (BMI)
Vocal by Tiffany Coburn

Some believe
A star shining brightly in the heavens
Represents the love of someone they can't see
Others feel
The butterfly dancing in their garden
Is a symbol of a spirit flying free

But when a gentle breeze caresses your hair
Or you see an eagle soar in the air
Should you smile and remember me in prayer
Oh, I will be there

(chorus)
There's no need to say good-bye
One day we'll be together
Remember me and smile
I'm in your heart forever
I'll feel the love you send
Until we're together again

Close your eyes
You'll find me sailing in the sunset
Riding waves of bluest oceans ever seen
Holding hands
Of all the others here before me
My head upheld to hear the angels sing

I can do all the things I've always dreamed of
I'll be watching over you from above
Don't worry about me because
I brought along all your love

(chorus)
Remember me and smile

It doesn't matter where you are
My love will shine upon you from that star
Like the butterfly, now I'm free
Ascending through the sky peacefully

(final chorus)
Remember me and smile
All the love you send
And you hold on to the love I send

We'll be together again

(Make sure that you also pay a visit to the Web page that includes many other beautiful songs recommended by our Discussion Groups members: Grief Songs)

Marty Tousley, CNS-BC, FT, DCC
Grief Counselor
Email:
tousleym@aol.com
Read Marty's Bio Here

#28 STARKISS

STARKISS

starkiss

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 04:51 PM

Hi MartyT,

Thank you so very much for sharing such a beautiful song... I think that it tells us there is hope and that if you believe you will see your loved one again someday... Take care Shelley

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users