Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Older Posts And Topics In Profile

niamh

hi Marty,

Are all posts and topics retained on this site ? I just notice in my profile if I click on show all posts or topics it says "The most recent 200 posts by niamh since 22-February 10".........is there a way to access older ones ? I just want to be able to keep everything I've written and continue to write.

thanks

Niamh

Okay, Niamh, I just learned how to change the maximum number of results returned when searching for posts and topics. It had been set at the default 200, and I moved it up to 1000, which is the maximum. If you can, you might want to find, and then cut and paste all of your posts into a word processing program so you can save them on your hard drive.

• 1 month later...

Okay, Niamh, I just learned how to change the maximum number of results returned when searching for posts and topics. It had been set at the default 200, and I moved it up to 1000, which is the maximum. If you can, you might want to find, and then cut and paste all of your posts into a word processing program so you can save them on your hard drive.

Hi Marty,

:excl: I'm trying not to fly into a total panic here, but was just looking for some older posts myself....and was aghast to find I only supposedly have a FEW posts listed, and almost no topics, either -- when of course I had DOZENS over the years here!!! Last time I'd checked (not that long ago), everything was still firmly in place, as always.

Where did they all GO?!...and how do I access them now??? I'd never C&P'd them all before, so now AM panicking, should they be gone forever! HELP, please! :excl:

Maylissa, dear, not to worry! To find all your posts, you'll need to use the Advanced Search feature (at the top of the page, next to the Search box; just click on Advanced). Search by author name (in your case, Maylissa) and that should return everything. (I just tried it, using only your name, and 34 pages of posts came up :))

Try it, and if it doesn't work for you, please let me know.

As always, thank you very much, Marty, for your rapid help with this! :D Yes, indeed, it works just as you instructed...yay! Now I'll just have to make the time at some point to download whatever I want to keep.

It's not as handy or obvious a method as being able to simply access posts/topics right from one's Profile page anymore, but at least the posts are still available.

I've also alerted another previous member to this change/how-to, so she'll be able to find her own, too.

• 8 months later...

Dear Ones,

Please be aware that early in 2012 (January or February) Hospice of the Valley is planning to move our Grief Healing Discussion Groups to a completely different server, thereby enabling our message board to become a more closely integrated part of Hospice of the Valley's own Web site, at hov.org.

As soon as I know the exact date of this transition, I will let you know.

It is my understanding that once we discontinue our relationship with our current server (Invision Power Board), all the material posted here and archived on this site will be destroyed and therefore no longer available.

In the meantime, if it is important to you to save some or all of your posts (or any other messages posted here), I urge you to take some time to "cut and paste" such messages into your own computer's word processing program, so that you will have them safely saved to your own hard drive. (To do this, just click on the Print link that appears at the bottom of the thread where your post appears, then cut and paste. You also have the option of downloading an entire thread onto your computer's hard drive; simply click on the Download link instead, and follow the instructions there.)

To find your old posts, use the Advanced Search feature (at the top of the main page, next to the Search box; just click on Advanced). Search by author name (that is, the name you use to identify yourself on our site) and that should return everything.

Marty,

Well, you have less reason to worry about losing content. Most of the posts have been preserved at the Internet Archive.

www.archive.org

They actually download and preserve most internet content. They have their 'way-back machine', in which you post the URL for a web-site of interest.

For example, here is what the Hospice of the Valley website looked like in August 2004:

http://web.archive.org/web/20040818175451/http://hovforum.ipbhost.com/

It's not perfect; sometimes the site will replay with all links intact, other times the links won't follow through. Just pick a date when the links seem to work.

This is not a complete solution, but with effort most of the old posts can probably be retrieved.

Cheers!

Ron B.

Ron, thank you so much for looking into this for us ~ I've gone to the site you gave us, and you're quite right that you can call up what the site looked like on a given date, but whenever I click on a topic or a link to a post, I'm simply returned to the site in its present state. In other words, I'm unable to get to the content of the actual posts in any given thread. Am I doing something wrong? Is there any way to get to the content?

Marty,

I really thought the Internet Archive had saved most content from this forum. But on closer examination, it looks like I'm wrong. Only a portion got saved.

Using their 'wayback machine', I've plugged in the the Hospice of the Valley URL (http://hovforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?), and the following web page comes up:

http://wayback.archive.org/web/*/http://hovforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?

This page lists snapshots of our grief forum at various dates back to 2004. Here is their web crawl for August 8th, 2010:

http://web.archive.org/web/20100808012610/http://hovforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?

Now here's what's wrong: The links only run about 2 levels deep. Yes, individual forums can be pulled up. Yes, the immediately visible posts within that forum will display. But most deeper links, like earlier posts in the forum, do not display. For fast moving forums like Loss of a Spouse, a dozen shallow web crawls a year doesn't begin to capture all content. For slow moving forums, most content is retrievable.

So, the Internet Archive is not a good solution for retrieving old posts from this forum. It's a hit or miss kind of thing.

Oh well. Looks like I'll be saving my old posts as you suggest; with lots of cutting and pasting.

Ron B.

hi Marty,

Wow I was surprised to see all old data will be destroyed and no longer available (certainly glad I spotted that).

Coming from IT background it surprised me, is it not possible to have the data migrated from the old company to the new one ?Companies change providers often but never have to lose data, companies will always plan for migrations in such cases and never have to lose data. (even if it was just maintained in some searchable archival format if it cannot be integrated into the new site as is)

Just seems like such a shame as there is such an enormous wealth of information, love and support in all these posts over the years, would be awful to see it start over from scratch again.

Just my IT nose sticking in wink.gif ,

thanks

Niamh

Niamh, dear, I so appreciate your input ~ and I welcome any and all suggestions. We are working to find a solution to this problem, and I will keep you informed. The content on this site is extremely valuable to all of us, and like you, I don't want to lose it. (If anyone else has any ideas, please feel free to share them!)

I have no solution but I do know an old site can be migrated to a new site as mine is doing that as I type. My computer guru is doing it for me...not only is the design being migrated but any content that was on the old site that I wanted. In my case there was not much as it was not as interactive as my new site will be. I can't imagine that the contents can't be migrated or archived but I am not the guru. I agree it would be a shame to lose the sharings. I started to copy some but that is a huge job....one I fear most people will probably skip. I hope your IT team can figure it out for the sake of new folks especially. I know you will do all you can to preserve it. Mary