Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Looking For The Positives

• 4 weeks later...

I saw my daughter and son-in-law today!  I drove down there, parked behind her car, called my SIL and asked him how to get in (they have a code and it changes).  It was so good to see them!!

I also saw the eye doctor...may need another surgery as there is irritation where the scar tissue is.  Otherwise, it feels way better and I'm crossing my fingers the cyst doesn't grow back, but at least if it does, I'll know what I'm facing next time.

Survived a bad storm today.  Electricity out most of the day in the entire town and many neighboring towns.  Winds up to 60 mph.  My daughter's roof was blown off.  I hope her apt. mgr. acts on it quickly so they don't sustain any damage.  I picked up lots of branches in the road with Arlie today, for about two hours.  Should sleep good tonight!

• Upvote 3

I'm glad  you got to see your daughter.  Those were pretty powerful winds.  We have been having bad winds also.  My grandfather used to warn about the "Ides of March" and you know I don't remember much about history and have not googled it, but think it had something to do with Julius Caesar.  The thing was, my grandfather died during the ides of March.  Gonna have to google that.  

I'm glad your eye feels better.  Know eventually I will have to have cataract removal but last exam they just said I had the beginnings of cataracts.  

Your daughter must live fairly close.  I've never been up the northern coast, but we had planned on going.  My daughter is back in AR and happy as a Lark, thank goodness.  She said the wind blew all the time in Kansas and she wanted to get back to where there was moisture and a person could sweat (or perspire as we southern girls are supposed to do.)  I kept an allergy in Albuquerque, maybe from the dryness.  

Hope you slept good.  

• Upvote 1

Marty, I glow so much I should be tapped as an energy source.  I like your father.  I wish I could remember more of what my dad said, but I'm not sure Mama let him talk much.

• Upvote 1

My daughter is about 1 1/2 hours away but I rarely see or hear from her.

• Upvote 2

I'm out walking on the Golf course and have little or no pain in my new hip......Now I need some work on my Cardio but within a month I will be fine....Strange walking by Angela's favorite stops , lots of good memories.......Spring is close........... Happy Easter

• Upvote 3

Good news, Kevin.  You must be doing better on weather up there.  Here in Seattle we go from sun to drizzle to downpour to even hail during a day.  Below normal temps and way over on rainfall.  The natives are more than restless, they are getting hostile!  :angry:

• Upvote 2

I was in Vancouver/Victoria ten days ago and the natives told me it was the wettest and coldest winter in recent memory.....We are some what screened by 200 miles of Mountains, but still Colder than norm...Appears to be three weeks behind..Full Moon tonight...

• Upvote 1

They predicted snow yesterday but it didn't materialize, I'm hoping they're wrong about Friday's predictions of snow also.  I'm ready to be done with it.  Somehow it doesn't seem possible it's Easter this Sunday.  Another holiday alone. 

Kevin, I'm glad you're doing so well with your walking.  You've done your work and that makes all the difference in the world!

• Upvote 3

Hello everyone.  Its Anne (Annabella).  Just want to let you know how I feel connected to you all now that I have joined this group.  I like reading about the little things all going on in everyones everyday lives.  It is a beautiful sunny day here and I am looking forward to the full moon tonight.  The beauties of creation are so present all around.  Can't wait until spring weather either.  My oldest daughter has just returned from S. Africa....she will marry and then plans to live there with her fiancee.  It is good to have her back for now.  I lost a dog of 14 years right on the Ides of March....which I believe is March 15 and there around.  Yes it does go back to Julius Caesar.... My ex of long long ago died on the Ides of March which was peculiar cause he always said "beware the Ides of March" and did various quotes from Caesar.  Good thing this time of year marches us right into spring!  I will be out and about walking my other dog and enjoying this nice sunny day.  I saw a quote from a Charlie Brown pic the other day... it said "Snoopy.. One day we will all die."  and then Snoopy replied "Yes...but on all the other days....we will not."     Have a good day everyone.   and thank you.

• Upvote 3

Welcome Anne.  I found the picture you quoted from Charlie Brown.  It is so true.  Thank you for mentioning it.  

Gwen, Kay, I hope you all get some spring weather.  I've never been to your part of the country but wanted to go.  It was on our bucket list, Canada too.  I had a movie DVD that Billy surprised me with once.  I had seen the movie before and read the book by Margaret Craven "I Heard the Owl Call My Name" and I do not recommend it because we do so much crying already, but it was so beautiful, the message it contained was beautiful and the song "Amazing Grace" playing at the end brought buckets of tears.  I've lost the movie now, but Billy had ordered it for me as a surprise.

Kevin, you just keep moving on.  You don't let things slow you down.  I'm proud of you. 

I have to go talk to my granddaughter's therapist today without her, a request from the therapist.  I know what she wants.  She wants to put her in group therapy.  A child with social anxiety, and I am going to let her with the stipulation that she only has to join in if she wants to.  It will come, but it will come at her own time.  I do not believe in forcing it and hopefully the therapist agrees.

snoopy.jpg

• Upvote 1

I love that quote!  So cute...and a good reminder.

Anne (I love the name Annabella), We're glad to have you join us.  Jump right in to any conversation...we've gotten to know each other pretty well here, it feels like a family but there's always room for more!

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well went to socialize at a Horse Shoe tournament this afternoon.....Well I partnered up with this other participant and we managed to win two games before we were eliminated....Our goal was to win one game.... The Positive to me was everyone had a good time and lots of laughs...Plus I knew or recognized half the people.....Definitely going to do this again next month, plus might set up a "practice Pit" in the back yard.....

• Upvote 5

Kevin, my dad would play something, cannot remember name, but they would throw round washers (big ones) like you buy at a hardware store and I know you men know what I am talking about.  I don't know what to call them, but that.  They would dig a dirt pit so many inches deep, so many inches wide, and they would stand back so many feet and try to get the washers in the  hole.  Of course they played horseshoes also.  

Proud of you for socializing.  I have my chances to do this, and have done some, but I go through crazy phases that I don't want to be around people.  I was never like that in younger days, and will get around to going to lunch with my friends. ..........eventually.  Right now, too involved with family's health.  Will do it again though, given time.

Marg ,I got a line on  3 horse shoes plus a set is on order...I'll have a total of 7 shoes to practice with.....Appears my " all in " or "go for it" attitude has new focus until I pull another muscle.....This crowd is 55-85 in age and no one takes themselves too serious, which makes it ideal........Next match is Sunday....

• Upvote 2

Kevin, I never was good with the horseshoes but could do good using those big washers in the dirt holes.  Makes me think about when I was home, before TV, we had music playing at our house on Monday nights, played rook, dominoes, and there was plenty to do.  My Daddy Wise (grandfather) would throw a fit if someone beat him at dominoes and my Mama was the same.  I finally learned to figure out which dominoes were left to play.  You have fun.  We certainly all deserve a little time off from this journey.  

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

I have a neighbors puppy that has been giving me so much comfort. She comes to my house and cries at the door until I come out or let her into the house. She is about 6 weeks old  

She was hit by a car the other day when someone was backing out of the neighbors driveway so I have been keeping her bathed and doctoring her foot and belly. She has a vet appointment today and I will be taking her and her owner to the vet office. 

This puppy has truly brought me peace the last few days. She likes to sleep in my arms. I have spoiled this puppy :)

I am hoping her foot will be ok. She definitely needs antibiotics. 

The day my husband passed I gave our dog 10 month old 75 pound puppy away and the next week his 20 year old cat passed. I cried so hard as I dug the hole for that cat. He was around for most of our marriage and he was a tough old man.  

Thank you for this post. I'm trying to look for the positives in my life. 

• Upvote 4

Hi @Nightwinds,

I'm sorry you have had so much loss.  It is overwhelming to lose fur family so close in time to human family.  It seems to compound the loss exponentially.  Having so much change in a short period of time is something I have trouble with.  I'm so glad you have puppy time ?, lucky for puppy too.  A tiny bit of joy is a blessing to hold on to.

When my husband died I was sure that life couldn't get much worse, I jinxed myself.  It was a devastating time for me and I really didn't know if I was coming or going.  I hear that is how our mind protects us.  Within days of him passing his cat passed too.  She was elderly but it wasn't expected.  I think she just needed to join him in heaven.  She used to ride on the hood of the tractor when he was moving dirt and manure piles.  She loved to sit with him on the lawn swing... Good remeberances.

That was in January 2016.  In September of '16 I had to have one of my horses put down.  It killed me to have to do it but that was the best option for him as I did not want him suffering.  Attending to the details alone was awful.  He is resting in a quiet spot out back.  Seeing his saddle and the carriage are still difficult things.  I have lost two barn cats and found a couple of dead stray cats since then.  More grief piling up to the point that I don't know how much more I can take.  I was hoping to end the year without more loss but that wasn't to be as I lost another horse in his sleep.  My husband's mother also passed before the new year.  I can honestly say I was glad to see 2017.

My mini poodle has fathered two litters of puppies, since January, and I was there to help with the whelping.  New life is so positive.  I've also helped with the whelping of three other litters of puppies and house sat there.  Love the smell and innocence of the tiny beings.  Next week there is a litter of medium sized Golden Doodles due.  These are my dog's Grandpuppies.  That is some of the positive for me.  New life and meeting new people.  We all need something to look forward to that brings positivity into our lives.

Bless you.  And hugs to you too. ?

• Upvote 3

My positive for today is:.I PASSED MY DRIVING TEST!!  The vision test was hard, but I probably should have tried my glasses.  I usually only use them for reading.  I had a nice young girl do the road test.  All in all, it was good.   I  talk to Al a lot.  Today I told him that he had to come with me.  He drove semis for 40 years and always told me that I was a good driver.  I think I am good for 3 or 4 years.

• Upvote 6

Nightwinds, I am glad you have your neighbor's puppy, it sounds like you both need each other!

Gin, CONGRATULATIONS!  I'm so glad you passed, one less thing to worry about! :D