Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Significant Quotes

mfh

And as I like to say, three steps forward, two steps backward is in an overal progressive fashion, so don't be unduly concerned about seemingly setbacks.

• Upvote 1

There is a sacredness in tears. They are not the mark of weakness, but of power. They speak more eloquently than ten thousand tongues. They are the messengers of overwhelming grief, of deep contrition, and of unspeakable love. ~Washington Irving

The Far Side of the Rainbow's photo.

• Upvote 3

"How many times I’ve thought, “I’m not going to make it. It’s too hard. I just can’t.” And yet, here I am. I did make it. Somehow I found strength within my weakness, courage within my fear and faith within my sorrow. When my human mind and body wanted to give up, my soul, who knows me better than I know myself, knew how to lead me forward. I’m glad I paid attention." ~ Rev. Jane Beach 

Artist Sherry Cook

artist Sherry Cook.jpg

• Upvote 3

"After you died
all things changed.

Dust collected around the house
payments went unpaid
and calls unreturned.
Casseroles went uneaten
teeth unbrushed.
plants unwatered
'thank you' cards, unmailed.

After you died
the smell of rain disappeared
birds lost their melody
stones turned to ash
and clouds to concrete
the sky surrendered its blue
grasses withered and trees fell.

After you died
a part of me did, too
and what remained
collapsed under the weight
of your constant absence
and all things changed.

And, I realized that all things had to change
because my world could not remain
the same without you.
Sameness would not sufficiently honor
the holiness of your mark upon my heart
the longing for every part of you
even parts I would never know.

After you died
all things changed.
All things changed
except my love for you."

- Dr. Joanne Cacciatore

After you died.jpg

• Upvote 3

“And I felt like my heart had been so thoroughly and irreparably broken that there could be no real joy again, that at best there might eventually be a little contentment. Everyone wanted me to get help and rejoin life, pick up the pieces and move on, and I tried to, I wanted to, but I just had to lie in the mud with my arms wrapped around myself, eyes closed, grieving, until I didn’t have to anymore.” 
― Anne Lamott

how grief is.jpg

• Upvote 6

I love it, Anne!

The Past

April 19, 2016 By Annette Childs, Ph.D. Leave a Comment

The Past

It’s not the future that you’re afraid of. It’s repeating the past makes you feel afraid.

There is a strange comfort  and a lot of truth in this quote. Most of what we fear about the future is due to what we have known in the past…

The past is gone- only its lesson remains, and if we are dedicated students of growth, we use past difficulties to formulate new answers.

When we know better, we can do better… this is what makes the future so ripe with potential for each and every one of us.

• Upvote 1

Taking Care

April 26, 2016 By Annette Childs, Ph.D. Leave a Comment

self-care

‘Self care is never a selfish act…it is simply good stewardship of the only gift I have, the gift I was put on earth to offer others.’ Parker Palmer

Today is a nice reminder that we must take care of ourselves- first and foremost. Giving all our care away to others will leave us feeling empty; and expecting others to care for us can lead to hurt and disappointment. When you find yourself feeling neglected, instead of waiting for someone else to save you, ask yourself what it is you need- and BE THAT.

• Upvote 4

Tonight I watched "Cast Away" (Tom Hanks), and he gave a profound quote at the end:

"I've got to keep breathing.

Tomorrow the sun will rise.

Who knows what the tide could bring..."

I thought it applicable to those here too.

• Upvote 5

This quote really speaks to me, esp. after this book telling about trees upholding one another, feeding each other, etc.:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/30/world/europe/german-forest-ranger-finds-that-trees-have-social-networks-too.html?_r=0

• Upvote 2

I want to read this book, Kay-The Hidden Life of Trees-when it comes out...

• Upvote 2

I don't have the extra $ to buy it but I want to someday.  I have read about it, and I totally appreciate what he's saying.  I have always loved trees and this makes me view them in a different light.

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...