Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Meditation

mfh

Timely!

• 2 weeks later...

This from Health Journey's Belleruth Naparstek:

RESOURCES FOR THOSE WITH POST-ELECTION DISTRESS

We’ve been hearing from a lot of distraught, anxious, disheartened people this past week, asking what they can listen to, to help them stabilize their mood and reconnect with their own inner strength.

I’m still wrapping my mind around all of this, so I have nothing illuminating to say. But I can suggest some audio resources with some conviction.

I’ve listed some guided imagery and meditation suggestions, to give yourself or someone in your life in need of some extra support.  If you already use some of these, you might want to try something fresh and new. Feel free to browse our catalog for new finds, too.

As the Buddha said, “May all beings find peace”. And, as Hillel said, “You must take care of yourself, because you never know when the world will need you.”

Take care, stay well.

br_signature.gif

Belleruth 

p.s. If you liked this post, you might enjoy getting our weekly e-news with other articles just like it. If so, sign up here!

• Upvote 2

Thank you, Marty.  I'm starting to exhale.  Honestly, it felt like grief!  It was such a shock and is such an adjustment.  Getting through it though.  My heart is heavy for all of those in America in distress...it means different things to different people.  Fear of non-acceptance, fear of deportation, fear of loss of health care.  Most of what we fear is the uncertainty, which may or may not come to pass and to varying degrees.  I worry about the environment, the setbacks which we can never again regain.  This is not just an election of four years, it can have lasting consequences.  I'm not saying he isn't going to be good for our country in some ways, much remains to be seen, but it's the ways he has spoken candidly about that scare me.  We'll see, I see him simmering down since elected.  Maybe advisers will temper him some.  Praying!

Remembering to meditate, de-stress, try not to panic, all of that helps.  They say lavender has a calming effect...I may need to get some! :)

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the link above, Marty, from Belleruth Naparstek. I find comfort in her words. We have been going through some troubling times and it is good to read what others have to say. For me, I find it hard to stay in the present moment because my mind seems to want to jump into the future! Worrying about the future will get me nowhere but it doesn't stop me from being concerned about my daughter and grandchildren. I wish there was a crystal ball that would show me that my family will be alright. I believe that my faith will have to step in here at some point. ;) 

• Upvote 1

I love the collection of meditations here, I know where I can go to find one!

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
S.gif
Henri Nouwen Society

DAILY MEDITATION

Becoming Kind
February 4 
S.gif
8f941018-abdd-4b8d-a081-2a8e3bc6a34e.jpg
Photo courtesy of SDGimagery.com
S.gif
Kindness is a beautiful human attribute. When we say, "She is a kind person" or "He surely was kind to me," we express a very warm feeling. In our competitive and often violent world, kindness is not the most frequent response. But when we encounter it we know that we are blessed. Is it possible to grow in kindness, to become a kind person? Yes, but it requires discipline. To be kind means to treat another person as your "kin," your intimate relative. We say, "We are kin" or "He is next of kin." To be kind is to reach out to someone as being of "kindred" spirit.

Here is the great challenge: All people, whatever their color, religion, or sex, belong to humankind and are called to be kind to one another, treating one another as brothers and sisters. There is hardly a day in our lives in which we are not called to this.
Henri Nouwen
  • Upvote 2

How perfect, Anne, for America, for the world!

• Upvote 1

DAILY MEDITATION 

Words That Feed Us
February 12
S.gif
c003afba-a9af-4d17-bbea-09e1e60ed555.jpg?a=1127182903174
S.gif
When we talk to one another, we often talk about what happened, what we are doing, or what we plan to do. Often we say, "What's up?" and we encourage one another to share the details of our daily lives. But often we want to hear something else. We want to hear, "I've been thinking of you today," or "I missed you," or "I wish you were here," or "I really love you." It is not always easy to say these words, but such words can deepen our bonds with one another.

Telling someone "I love you" in whatever way is always delivering good news. Nobody will respond by saying, "Well, I knew that already, you don't have to say it again"! Words of love and affirmation are like bread. We need them each day, over and over. They keep us alive inside.
Henri Nouwen

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

THIS IS MEDITATION

Let what comes, come.
Let what goes, go.

Don't try to push away what comes.
It's already here and it will pass.

Don't try to cling to what goes.
The leaving is natural. Bless the leaving too. 

Let what stays, stay.
Let what dies, die.
Let what lives, live.

Be the wide open space
for all of it.

Every thought, every feeling. 

Be the awareness.
Be the ocean.
Allow the waves.

This is meditation,
your True Self. 

- Jeff Foster 

meditation.jpg

• Upvote 2

DAILY MEDITATION

Hidden Greatness
February 25
S.gif
c002fdfa-f413-4089-897d-7537a583a74a.jpg
S.gif
There is much emphasis on notoriety and fame in our society. Our newspapers and television keep giving us the message: What counts is to be known, praised, and admired, whether you are a writer, an actor, a musician, or a politician.

Still, real greatness is often hidden, humble, simple, and unobtrusive. It is not easy to trust ourselves and our actions without public affirmation. We must have strong self-confidence combined with deep humility. Some of the greatest works of art and the most important works of peace were created by people who had no need for the limelight. They knew that what they were doing was their call, and they did it with great patience, perseverance, and love.
Henri Nouwen
  • Upvote 1