Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Meditation

mfh

I loved the poster on "Reasons To Meditate or Not To Meditate"- it has been added to my meditation board! I was thinking of corking one wall in the den so I'd have more room but then I didn't want family to think I needed to be put away! :blush:

Thank you for another John O'Donohue blessing. I'm beginning to really like him. I think I'll go to Barnes & Noble to browse . . perhaps I will have to 'give up' (actually I haven't been 'giving up' for years) Amazon.com for Lent! - I try to DO more for others rather than 'give up' during Lent.

As someone addicted to chocolate as I am it might not be a bad idea but then I would have to 'give up' popcorn, almonds, ice cream, and a list of other things that I just can't do without!

Just my opinion but I think you doing more for others has exceeded 900%....but always good to do more.

O'Donohue has a website that his family keeps current. He has lots of books and many videos on YouTube....In the last chapter of Anam Cara, which I read a long time ago, he says that those who die stay near us, "where else would they be?" That stuck with me when Bill died.

I think you have given up enough already (husband, perfect health and Benji and more more more) so perhaps Lent is a good time to buy books :) and eat chocolate....

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/megan-devine/grief-and-mindfulness_b_4757042.html

Megan Devine (link above) has a lot to say about the role of mindfulness in grief. I like Megan a lot and have a sporadic email contact with her. I think she is a very wise person and real. I do like this piece and agree with it for the most part. This piece tends to sit at the edge of an ongoing discussion in the world of healing and growing. Some say change your mind and change your life (true of today's webinar on NICABM with Bruce Lipton*) versus the idea of being with what is going on now i.e. sometimes that is grief/pain/loss that we want to walk through not walk away from (most of the time). Somewhere in the middle lies the answer.

*Today's interview on NICABM is with Bruce Lipton. It is at 5pm EST and repeated at 6:30pm EST.

I have read a couple of his books, listened to him being interviewed and love his research on imaginal antennae (see attached). I still think we have to find a balance between the two extremes above.

Some notes I typed up on Bruce are below in attachment. I think pain is part of life and there are some things we can't change nor should we (we all know that very well) but we can make huge improvements in how we deal with pain.

My thoughts and interpretation of some of Lipton's ideas: Bruce Lipton.pdf

The FREE webinar TODAY: http://www.onlinemeetingnow.com/seminar/?id=1daf2b00f4

The forest over a year. This is just lovely....and tripped off lots of memories (and tears) of all the hikes we took and the forest we "owned". I share it with you all.

http://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/wilderness-resources/videos/watch-how-a-forest-changes-over-a-year

And another for the forest lovers among us:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Jv_RCxjhdk#t=52

dm_snow_wheat.jpg

The Meal That Makes Us Family and Friends

We all need to eat and drink to stay alive. But having a meal is more than eating and drinking. It is celebrating the gifts of life we share. A meal together is one of the most intimate and sacred human events. Around the table we become vulnerable, filling one another’s plates and cups and encouraging one another to eat and drink. Much more happens at a meal than satisfying hunger and quenching thirst. Around the table we become family, friends, community, yes, a body.

That is why it is so important to “set” the table. Flowers, candles, colorful napkins all help us to say to one another, “This is a very special time for us, let’s enjoy it!”

henri_full_signature_black.gif

Good article, Marty. We can't will our feelings away. We have to be in our grief. There is no quick fix!

"I think the better message of mindfulness is this:

You are here. Where you are is not perfect. It may or may not be okay. And here you are.

You do not create your reality; life will be what it will be.

This is the life you are called to be present for. This is the moment that asks for your awareness. Not because you are improved by what has happened, not because you needed it, not so you can turn it into some kind of gift.

You are called to be present to it because it is what is. Because it is here Now, and so are you.

That's what the tool is for -- to be in relationship with what is real, right now.

Be here now.

Grieve here now.

That is mindfulness, and it does have power."

Megan Devine

I do so like this piece of Megan's...and agree with her. One of the things I like about metta mindfulness meditation is that we are just expressing what we would like to see e.g. May I be safe, may I be healthy, may you be peaceful, may you live with ease. It does not demand that we deny what is as some of the New Age thinking does...that is what I call it anyway. Great piece!

Mary

A walk in nature meditation at a beautiful arboretum in CA and a respite from all the snow some of you are having. The music is by Riley Lee playing the shakuhachi flute.

Relaxing, peaceful and worth the 23 minutes while using your full screen is guaranteed to give one a good start to the day.

A good meditation of loving kindness. Click on part two's "Heart of Compassion."     Tara Brach

Gift yourself time to listen in: "Heart of Compassion" - Most of us consciously value compassion, but move through much of life without access to the full capacity of our heart. This talk explores the self-compassion that is the very grounds of loving our world.

https://www.tarabrach.com/part-2-heart-of-compassion-audio/ 

This talk is worth the time. There are laughs and gives food for thought of self-doubt and identity. Not really a meditation but I found it to be wonderful.

Sleep is the best meditation.

Dalai Lama

Sleep is good. Sleep is good.

This talk is from Tara Brach. Her last of five talks. "Equanimity: A Heart that is Ready for anything."

"When the waves are difficult, add in a gesture of kindness." ~ Listen in to Tara's latest talk: "Equanimity: A Heart That is Ready for Anything."

Closing with Danna Faulds' poem,
"Awareness Knowing Itself":

Settle in the here and now.
Reach down into the center
where the world is not spinning
and drink this holy peace.

Feel relief flood into every
cell. Nothing to do. Nothing
to be but what you are already.
Nothing to receive but what
flows effortlessly from the
mystery into form.

Nothing to run from or run
toward. Just this breath,
awareness knowing itself as
embodiment. Just this breath,
awareness waking up to truth.

~ From Root to Bloom (Peaceable Kingdom Books, 2006), p. 17

I do not have the permission to attach Tara's talk - I think you can access it here: http://www.dharmaseed.org/teacher/175/talk/22581/ .

Edited by MartyT
Link inserted

Posted on Facebook by Joanne Cacciatore

1489046_10153883817525702_1767245469_n.j

A site I posted a long while back but which is excellent and very simple. Go to www.calm.com. On the left side, click on the clock and then on the amount of time you want your meditation/relaxation to last (2 to 20 minutes). Then go to the bottom right to the arrows and click the right arrow until you come to the scene/music you want. Then sit back and relax as it carries you. You can add in a guided meditation on the left if you choose. I keep this in my bookmark bar so I can go to it often.

• 4 weeks later...