Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Meditation

mfh

• 2 weeks later...

On meditating...

THE PATH OF PAUSING

"The primary focus of this path of choosing wisely, of this training to de-escalate aggression, is learning to stay present. Pausing very briefly, frequently throughout the day, is an almost effortless way to do this. For just a few seconds we can be right here. Meditation is another way to train in learning to stay, or, as one student put it more accurately, learning to come back, to return to being present over and over again. The truth is, anyone who’s ever tried meditation learns really quickly that we are almost never fully present. I remember when I was first given meditation instruction. It sounds so simple: Just sit down, get comfortable, and bring light awareness to your breath. When your mind wanders, gently come back and stay present with your breath. I thought, “This will be easy.” Then someone hit a gong to begin and I tried it. What I found was that I wasn’t present with a single breath until they hit the gong again to end the session. I had spent the whole time lost in thought."

~ From Pema Chodron's book Taking The Leap

So so true. Our brains are thought factories producing 50,000 to 75,000 or more thoughts a day. Reining in our minds takes years of practice but worth the effort. Thanks, Anne.

http://www.soundstrue.com/email/?selection=choiceone&component=emailsignup

If you go to this site (Sounds True- they sell spirituality videos and CDs- good ones) and you sign up for email, instantly you will be given downloads for 6 mindfulness meditations and about 10 pieces of soothing music. FREE. No strings except they have your email address which i have never seen abused. I have used this sight for many years.

I really like Sounds True. Thanks for the link, Mary. I have Tara Brach's "Meditation and Psychology" and Jack Kornfield's "The Psychology of the Awakened Heart." Both very good. The next one I want to get is Brene Brown's "The Power of Vulnerability." Wish there was a library exchange somewhere so we could share these things!

Anne

To know you will like The Power of Vulnerability, Anne. If you YouTube her name, she speaks about this book also.

This is wonderful. I guess if I have a passion right now...and it is one Bill and I shared...it is to "wake up" which means a lot of silence and meditation woven into each day. The longest I ever spent in total silence is 8 days but I did do a 56 days Yoga retreat in 1980 and the vast majority of that was spent in silence. Not for everyone but important to me. Thank you for this, Anne. I have it bookmarked. She is truly a mentor to me.

"Meditation provides a refuge during life’s tumultuous storms by helping us connect compassionately with ourselves & with others, no matter the circumstances, so that difficulty doesn’t lead to alienation.

Meditation also helps us awaken to joy and animates our ordinary routine so that it comes alive for us.

The spaciousness of mind and greater ease of heart that naturally arise through concentration, mindfulness and compassion are fundamental components of an open & renewed spirit.

Being happy at work is possible for all of us, anytime and anywhere, with open eyes & a caring heart.

We need only to take the first step."

~ Sharon Salzberg from
Real Happiness at Work

Illustration by Mattias Adolfsson

1921185_10152597344416676_5914010986976898711_o.jpg

Eckhart Tolle Celebrates New Channel Launch With A FREE Online Event

o-ECKHART-TOLLE-570.jpg?6

This September marked the launch of the new Eckhart Tolle page on The Huffington Post. The Eckhart Tolle section reminds us through conversations, interviews, videos, and articles to bring awareness to the present moment -- to create from the place of inner stillness -- as we move through our daily lives with our to-do-lists, projects and commitments. As Eckhart says, "In today's rush we all think too much, seek too much, want too much and forget about the joy of just Being."

In celebration of the launch, we invite you to join us for a special free Live Online Meditation Event with Eckhart Tolle on Sunday October 26 at 4:00 pm ET.

For more information about Eckhart Tolle, please click here.

This looks good, Marty. If anyone lives in the NOW it is Tolle. In spite of all the tough stuff that is happening on planet earth, it is counterbalanced quite a bit with all the spirituality awareness and opportunities that are also available.

This FREE program starts today. Worth a looksee and do. http://www.mentorschannel.com/WildDivine/HealingRhythms/LandingPage/885/?aff_id=1014&off_id=110

Helps with stress and is there anyone here who does not need help with stress?

This is the link to DAY 1 but you need to register on the previous link. http://www.mentorschannel.com/WildDivine/HealingRhythms/Program/

Good news from Huffington Post and Eckhart Tolle TV:

We are pleased to announce that Eckhart Tolle's online meditation that aired on Oct. 26 is now available on demand for Huffington Post readers until Nov. 12.

If you missed the live event, or would like to watch it again, please click here to watch.

"All the things that truly matter, beauty, love, creativity, joy and inner peace arise from beyond the mind." - Eckhart Tolle

This is a link to a Fall Psalm eRetreat that starts on Nov. 17 and ends on Nov. 23. It is led by Joan Chitister who is a Benedictine nun and an activist and author. I have great respect for this woman who speaks truth to power; works for the causes of justice, peace and women's issues. It is $10 for the retreat if it interests anyone. There is a sample at the website. I see it as a preparation time for Thanksgiving and a time of a few minutes of quiet each day. Fall Psalm eRetreat

fall20.jpg?itok=0ozegdV8

• If you desire to deepen your spiritual life…

• If you can invest minutes a day for one week…

• If you are open to trying an online retreat…

Then this invitation is for you

— an opportunity to retreat with Joan Chittister

— so that as the days grow colder, you find new warmth for your soul.

One-week eRetreat:

Monday, Nov. 17 to Sunday, Nov. 23

Cost: $10

Listen to a sample psalm verse and register for the eRetreat.

You must have an account at Monasteries of the Heart to register for this eRetreat.

More information available here.

"In practicing meditation, we're not trying to live up to some kind of ideal - quite the opposite. We're just being with our experience, whatever it is."
-Pema Chodron
"He who breathes deepest lives most."
-Elizabeth Barrett Browning
"Through meditation and by giving full attention to one thing at a time, we can learn to direct attention where we choose."
-Eknath Easwaran

Action for the Day: Today put the effort forth to sit in meditation.

• 3 weeks later...

"Where you go. There you are."

This one phrase will help you bring mindfulness into your everyday life, says Elisha Goldstein.

A few years ago, I was at a conference introducing Jon Kabat-Zinn. The beginning of the talk focused on my experience when I read page 14 of Kabat-Zinn's book, Wherever You Go, There You Are. This was a particularly difficult time in my life when I was feeling uneasy, confused, and dissatisfied with things. Now, if you’ve read this book, you know he has all kinds of wonderful suggestions on how to sprinkle the philosophy and practice of mindfulness into everyday life. But when I came upon this one section it said to try reminding yourself from time to time that “This is it.” And I said, “Really, this is it?” This is all there is? Well, apparently it was…

Later on that day I stood looking at the Golden Gate Bridge in awe at the beauty of San Francisco and the headlands and the phrase naturally arose in my mind, “This is it.” What a wonderful moment.

That phrase has since traveled with me as a friend reminding me to accept the reality of each moment as it is. When I was sad, this is it! When I was joyful, this is it! When I was anxious, frustrated, or bored, this is it!

Learning how to accept the moment as it was opened my eyes to so much more.

Jack Kornfield’s teacher Ajahn Chah, says something similar, his phrase is “It’s like this.”

Some wise person a long time ago said, “It is what it is.”

There are so many ways to drop us into the present moment, into a state of accepting the reality of what is here and out of the state of avoidance.

Try bringing this simple phrase into your life and see what happens. Once in a while say to yourself, “This is it!”

The truth is, it’s never more or less than this.

Having an understanding of where we are in any particular moment is the basis for self-acceptance.

As always, please share your thoughts, stories and questions below. Your interaction creates a living wisdom for us all to benefit from.

Give it a try! ~ from Jon-Kabat-Zinn (mindful.org)