Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Meditation

mfh

Thank you, Mary for all the treasures you give us here on the meditation thread. Today I woke up with the thought that something wonderful was going to happen. It is still early so we shall see. In the mean time I came across this video that I had bookmarked and it reminded me of the video Mary posted about the Band of Light. So, I used this to start my day...

Anne, you are quite welcome. I also believe that music is a great healing agent. Some is difficult to listen to because of memories attached, of course, but here is one of my favorites from the late 70s or early 80s. I was gifted to spend time with Steve Halpern back then and find his music healing. This piece, Spectrum Suite, coordinates the chakras with sound bringing our consciousness to a higher and higher level as we listen...in very subtle ways. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_a0dELHsU0 If you go to YouTube.com and enter Steve's name...many come up. Those of us who are struggling with the "Jingle Bells" or "I'll be Home for Christmas" played over and over these days, might consider this type of music to give some time off from some of those carols that come with pain.

Peace to your heart,

Mary

Beautiful meditation music, Mary. I agree with you that Steve Halpern beats listening to Christmas music when we haven't even celebrated Thanksgiving. Today I worked on my Art Therapy while listening to him. Thank you. Anne

post-15704-0-56962600-1385338343_thumb.j

post-15704-0-73291500-1385338363_thumb.j

I agree wholeheartedly with this article. One of the things that is happening with the increased popularity of developing a Mindfulness or Meditation practice is just what this author states so well. Mindfulness, like anything else, can be and is often being misused by the media and big business among others.

Like any other healing tool we use in our grief journeys, we need to determine for ourselves what is good for us, what works for us and how we want to use it. A keeper, for sure. Excellent piece, Marty.

Mary

I have just completed the last of a long series of webinars on Mindfulness. The series has been powerful and well organized. These two professionals spoke on stress, mindfulness, self-compassion. We who grieve can benefit from learning more about all of these.

Enjoy, Mary

This is the website for Dr. Kristin Neff who spoke today on self compassion and mindfulness. Her site is filled with resources.

Yesterday I hear Dr. Kelly McGonigal whose website is Kelly was most impressive.

More links to her include: http://www.psychologytoday.com/experts/kelly-mcgonigal-phd

TED talk on stress:

You can Google these women and get lots more information.

I will listen to the two links above, Mary, after I post this from Brother David Steindl-Rast on Faith, Mysticism, and Prayer. I found it very moving and since I like anything he says it doesn't surprise me. I love his message he keeps quietly saying, "experience oneness with all" in almost everything he talks about. What a wonderful goal to focus on as we move through this life of ours. Anne

Thank you, Marty. I hope the piece is helpful to folks.

Mary

Well, here I go again making my way to Amazon for a few more treasures! So, I decided to give myself two presents because I really do believe (in Santa) and that "knowledge is Power." Treasures from you, Mary...

Real Happiness: The Power of Meditation by Sharon Salzberg and Loving Kindness: The Revolutionary Art of Happiness also by Sharon Salzberg are now on their way to AZ! I know, I promised I wouldn't visit Amazon for awhile! I can't help myself. I wonder if there is a cure for that! I am thinking of redoing the den and adding a wall of book shelves.

Mary, thank you for your piece that appeared here, on FB, and on Marty's Grief Healing Blog. We even had the chance to download it to our own computers which I did.

Anne

My dear Anne, I am very sorry to tell you this but there is just no cure for book buying. It is a chronic illness with no cure. What I know is that you deserve all the books you want and yes, book cases are essential. I have 6 of them, 5 are 6 feet tall and all are full. I also have some artsy books on the cocktail table, my "to read" pile beneath the TV where electronic stuff is supposed to go, and well, a few piles near my reading corners. All very neatly in place. Just can't help myself. My wish list is a mile long at Amazon. My family just sent an email asking what I want for Christmas in case someone wants ideas...we limit spending a lot so I said the only thing I need/want are Amazon gift cards...that is it. So, you see, Anne...it is easier to give up chocolate than to give up books and that is saying a lot. I do get audio books from the library (just got two today) and from audible.com also.

All kidding aside, one of the things that has helped me most during these many months of grief are my books....they educate and support and are essential to my well being.

If you find a cure, let all of us book addicts know, please.

Mary

post-14525-0-42275200-1386187748_thumb.j

"So, you see, Anne...it is easier to give up chocolate than to give up books and that is saying a lot. I do get audio books from the library (just got two today) and from audible.com also." Mary

For me it would never be easier to give up chocolate so cure or no cure I'm hooked!! I just might have to redo my living will - I'm sure there will be someone that would like some great reads.

And yes, Mary, books, articles, etc. have helped me along my journey also. I was hooked when I found Marty's link to her books, columns, and books!!

For anyone interested, this is a link to Lee Holden's Qi Gong (pronounced chee gung like lung) exercise, a combination of meditation and healing, movement and energy work that can be easily done by anyone.

What is Qi Gong http://www.qigonghealing.com/qigong/whatis.html

Here is a video by Lee Holden on a 7 minute program you can easily learn.

Lee's videos are for sale at Amazon but there are so many on You Tube that you really do not need to buy any. I had lunch today with a gal who uses the 7 minute program morning and evening. There are some for lower back, weight, etc. I like Tai Chi but I have been wanting to learn Qi Gong and these look like a good way to start. Very very healing.

Mary

This one I absolutely love. It is something I CAN do. I have done it about four times now and can follow him and go along with his directions. I think this is a keeper for me. I even like the name = Qi Gong. Thank you Mary. Right now, my eyes are closed to the word Amazon. ;)

I am so glad you like this...there are a lot of them on You Tube with him. As for Amazon, well....we shall see, Anne :)

Mary

This is a summary of some research out of the UW-Madison (WI)'s Center for the Investigation of Healthy Minds. It is finding that "mindfulness meditation can affect the expression patterns of certain genes. One hour of mindfulness meditation caused a significant decrease in the expression genes that regulate inflammation in the body. This has enormous potential to re-shape the way we view the treatment of chronic inflammatory diseases."

Those of us who are grieving are frequently now or in caregiving days certainly experienced a great deal of stress. Stress means the release of cortisol which in turn causes inflammation. I see this finding as another reason to practice mindfulness meditation or any kind of meditation on a daily basis.

http://www.news.wisc.edu/22370

Peace to all,

Mary

The above link is broken, Mary. I read this article before and it is very interesting. Hope you can fix the link.

I'm really liking the Qi Gong meditation. It is easy to do and I like the music so I listen as I move.

Did I mention that my B/P has been stable for over two months now - my cardiac doc should like that!

Anne

Thank you, Anne. I fixed it. No clue how that happens.

I celebrate your stable BP and for two months...that has to be the longest since this part of your journey began. Let us know what the powers that be have to say about that, please.

Peace and love

Mary

Mindfulness - I believe this - off to do my Qi Gong - this meditation really works for me. I like the quote below from Thich Nhat Hanh.

"We are all connected. When you touch one thing, you are touching everything. Whatever we do has an effect on others. Therefore, we must learn to live mindfully to touch the peace inside each of us. Peace in the world starts with peace in oneself. If everyone lives mindfully, everyone will be more healthy, feel more fulfilled in their daily lives and there will be more peace. This collective mindfulness can bring positive change to our families, organizations, communities, nations and future generations." ~ Thich Nhat Hanh

Meditation Master's photo

we are all connected.jpg

Anne, I hope the tsunami that came roaring in to shore has quietly receded for a long while.

Here is a link to Thich Nhat Hanh on Super Soul Sunday with Oprah. It is 6 videos...5 of them down the right side of the page. He is a quiet soul and always calms me down.

Peace

Mary

Thank you, dear Mary. I am once again at that calm place. I haven't had one of those "grief bursts" since I don't know when! Benji helped and the love on this forum once again got me through a tough time.

I searched high and low and am still not seeing the link that you said is above - do I have to wish for it to appear or do I have to Google Thich Nhat Hahn? :blush:

Anne