Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Archiving Glitch!

enna

It appears to me that they archived the bigger or perhaps older topics. I just started a new positives to replace the archived one.

Mary

Hmm I see what you mean, anne. I can now post on positives and could not before. I guess I should move my post...not sure.

Mary

Dear Ones,

I know this archiving message has caused some confusion and I apologize. My mistake. I clicked the wrong button in our administrative panel this afternoon, not realizing that it would prevent members from posting in current threads. Not to worry ~ it can be reversed, and that is now in process, but it will take a while. Please be patient, and forgive my lack of technical skills. :wacko:

I am noticing now that since yesterday, we seemed to have lost large chunks of posts in certain threads (e.g., Transformations On This Path and Looking for the Positives). We are in the process of archiving messages that have been posted since December 12, 2011, and I am hoping that once that is completed, I'll be able to find the lost posts. I will keep you all informed, as soon as this process is completed and I know better where we stand.

My dear Marty, I am so sorry you have to go through that and on a holiday weekend. I hope they pop right up for you...and maybe they are just lost in the Ethernet somewhere forever....so be it.

Peace, peace, peace

Mary

I wouldn't worry about it, nothing that can't wait until next week. Go enjoy your Easter weekend, Marty! We're all big talkers, we can write more stuff! :)

Right, Kay!

Happy Easter everyone, and I know you will all take care of each other while I am on retreat a few days.

Marty, go play.

They were only words, and there are plenty more where those came from, dear one.:)

Back to my retreat.

Much Love and

*<twinkles>*

fae

Marty, I agree with fae and Kay....let it go. Put your feet up, take a nap, dye eggs....but let it go.

Peace

Mary

Thank you all so much, dear hearts and gentle people ~ I am so grateful for your patience and understanding.

I cannot tell you how awful I feel about this ~ if, in fact, these beautiful and heartfelt posts are lost forever, somewhere out there in cyberspace ~ without even knowing how or why. Yet another loss we must endure? I still don't know :(

This is a holiday weekend, and it seems that no one is available to respond to my requests for technical assistance. So you're right ~ I think we'll have to wait until Monday.

Needless to say, I will keep you informed, as soon as I know something more.

Dear Ones,

Here is the update I promised. Unfortunately, the news is not good :(

On Saturday, March 30 I wrote the following support request to Invision Power Services (provider of our site):

I've just discovered that several posts are missing or inaccessible in at least two threads in one of our forums (posts that were made between February 9, 2013 and March 29, 2013). My question is this: Is there any way to recover these posts?

The missing posts are from our Loss of a Spouse, Partner, Significant Other forum,

http://hovforum.ipbh...nificant-other/

and occur in these two threads:

Transformations On This Path, http://hovforum.ipbh...php?/topic/7797

Looking for the Positives, http://hovforum.ipbh...php?/topic/7258

If you'll notice, when you access this forum (Loss of a Spouse) and scroll down to Transformations of This Path, it indicates that the last post was made by me (MartyT) "Yesterday at 12:16 PM" ~ yet, when you click on that link, you're taken to a post last made on February 9. So my question is, What happened to all the posts in between 2/9 and 3/29? (I happen to know that there were a lot of them!)

Any help you can offer is appreciated. And if you have any questions, please let me know: tousleym@aol.com

I've just now received the following response from Invision Power Services:

We unfortunately can't tell when this happened, or how exactly, "after the fact". I do see the mismatch, though.

However, the database records indicate there were no posts made to that topic since Feb 9.

The post count for that topic was correct; 28 replies. How you showed up as last poster is a mystery.

But I ran the recount/rebuild for Topics and the flags are now correct for what is actually there right now.

That said, the only times in the past where I've seen things like this happen, was when someone ran a direct query on the database to remove some content. That gets counters out of synch.

We haven't had a ticket from you in the time frame this issue happened in, so it's not something we would have done.

To my knowledge, there has been no direct query on the database to remove any of our content. So there you have it. This is a mystery ~ and I am very sad to say that it looks as if the material in those two threads is lost.

The lesson here for all of us: In the future, as I have said many times over the years, if you post something in our forums that is (or may one day be) of significant value to you, be sure to make a copy of your post and save it in your computer's word processing program so you will have access to it ~ just in case this ever happens again!

Thank you, Marty, for all the loving energy I just know you put into this. It may be difficult for some to have lost their posts and I know you feel badly about that and I also know it is a good reminder, as you said so many times, to all of us to make copies from now on or to go back and make copies of posts from the past. Thanks again for your efforts. It surely is a mystery, one I am sure all computer users can relate to.

Peace, Mary

Mary, dear, thank you so much for your understanding. I could not feel any worse than I do about this ~ and to have no plausible explanation is just beyond the pale. But, as you say, this is one of the gremlins we encounter when we come to rely so heavily on computers. Part of me does not know what I would do without them ~ but another part sometimes wants to throw them out the window :blush:

I do so know the "throw it out the window feeling" after 26 years of computers. I sometimes wonder what I would do with the time and energy I put into on line stuff...would I paint more, hike more, meditate more, read more, start a program of some kind, eat bonbons, etc.? In the end, I love all the reading I do on line and how I stay in touch with folks. Let's face it, I'm an addict..an on-line addict keeping it under control mostly. I just took Bentley for a walk (it is bitter cold with icy wind), ran into a neighbor I recently met at a High Tea. Her husband died 2.5 years ago and she said, "I really enjoy all the posts you put up on loss and grief and let's get together." I told her until I have a professional website (in the fall) I limit what I post on grief. At the bank, I was getting some tax info and we started talking about the new Pope (She knows my history and brought it up) and I told her I would send her the piece i posted today as she talked about how she struggles with all that has happened. So all of that because I am ON LINE :o

Gotta love it.

You did all you could and more because I know you worried and thought and wondered and tried to find those posts....all is well...and it is beyond you and even the geeks. Peace to your heart, Mary

My dear Marty, I know there is nothing we can say that will make you feel better but we are going to keep saying that this is something that happened and will happen again and again and it is no one's fault. I have worked with computer software for over a decade now and the painful truth about lost files is a reality. My teachers would come in a panic horrified that they lost lesson plans, grades, etc for months and wanted me to fetch them for them like I was some kind of miracle worker. Most times it did not happen and when it did I was surprised.

Today I looked on my thread that I started on Aug. 8th 'My Beloved isn't with me Anymore' on the Loss of a Spouse thread and I noticed that I too have lost everything posted from Nov. 11th up to the end of March - when this glitch first happened I checked my thread and everything was there. Today it is not. Words are only words. We know how much love there is on this forum and I know everyone understands if something is gone.

As others have said - we are all full of words and this will not stop us. Now, you try and put that 'feel bad attitude' away and do what you do best - moderate. Otherwise a few of us are going to have to 'watch' you just as we are watching a few on this forum (those who forget to wear shoes) for example. Happy Spring. I hope everyone's snow is almost melted. Anne

Marty, you do NOT want them watching you, trust me. :) My phone rang a while ago and guess who (name starts with A) said she was watching and I should open my door to see. It was an April Fool joke but you do not want us watching you so put those lost posts and all that goes with them (feeling badly) in a balloon and let it rise until you can not see it anymore. If you don't Anne and Kay WILL watch. It isn't fun :)

Love

Mary

PS folks, my water guy came today and though the cooler is a brand new one, I told him to take it and the empties and close my account...he was nice about it but he has not been dependable. I tried to give him a chance as he is a farmer trying to make some money but alas...I was convinced the water was from the cooler. It is all that could be. I will try someone else. New Crocs also on their way as I have been wearing Bill's slippers which are huge on me and my slippers are as bad as bare feet. These I can slip into and OUT of easily and they won't slip. My girlfriend designed my outside pair. not sure about the new ones. I will have to ask her. She is their head designer for women's wear.

Oh dear Mary, I really stopped by to visit with Bentley. And to check on WHY you were not wearing shoes.

Marty, we are very gentle and caring and would treat you as you deserve to be treated. So let go of that ballon NOW. Love, Anne

Marty, do not believe her. She is tough!

This looks like a positive to me - I noticed that 'Looking for the Positives' and 'Transformation on this Path' have all their posts back. When I checked on mine 'My Beloved is not with me Anymore' - page 6 - I still have no posts from Nov. 5th to the end of March. Does this mean that someone is perhaps working to recover the lost posts? If this is wishful thinking on my part it is alright with me I just felt a tinge of hope. This is not meant to have anyone (Marty) feel bad. Anne

No, Anne, I'm afraid not. Unfortunately the posts are still missing and the mystery of whatever caused it remains ~ in Transformations, most of February's and all of March's are gone, and in Looking for the Positives, nearly an entire year's worth are gone, from May of last year until the end of March of this year! As you've noted, the posts in your thread are missing any messages that were added since last November. :(

I am told by Invision Power (creator of our software) that the only way to restore those posts "would be to restore a copy of the database, which in turn would remove any content since the backup was taken as well." I've also been advised that "doing a partial restore is almost always more trouble than it is worth (causing other issues, etc.)"

So, as I said earlier in this thread, I'm afraid we all must acknowledge this as yet another loss, and find a way to come to terms with it. I still think the lesson here is this: It is wise for all of us to make a copy of those posts that are most important to us, and save them in a folder we've created for that purpose, in our own personal files, on our own computers.

Thank you, Marty. I'm sorry for having you waste your time on this again. I thought the other posts were back. I have let it go today, really. I have always saved my own writings. It was the responses that I've now lost. Anne