Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Our Pets- Consolers (Four Legged, Two Legged, Fur, Finned)

http://www.vetstreet.com/our-pet-experts/stuff-your-dogs-kong-with-delicious-homemade-tail-mix?WT.mc_id=mbfacebook

I just found this recipe from a vet. It is for stuffing Kongs, freezing, and using as needed. I am not fond of dental chews for Bentley and I stuff the end with a bone shaped treat that he has to work hard in order to get it to budge. I am planning to study these ingredients and pit them again the Dog Food Advisor site that I totally trust to see which ones I will change out. I will notify when that is done.

Food Advisor is at: http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/

My dog trainer friend (who helped me prepare Bentley for therapy dog test) feeds her dogs a raw food diet. I will not do that and it is not allowed by Pet Partners for fear of ecoli. She knows what she is doing and knows dogs and dog food and recommends the Dog Food Advisor information. They test foods and rate them. I use Fromm's, made in Wisconsin and first three ingredient are meat sourced as a dog needs.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mary,

I will take a look at the recipe. I have read about the raw food diet, but Arlie's system is very sensitive, so is Skye's, so I stick with the dog food I know to be healthy. My son researched them and compared ingredients, and found one that works for our dogs. (His dog is not able to process wheat.) The first two ingredients are Salmon and Sweet Potato, it has a lot of vegetables, even blueberries, doesn't have filler.

I surely get that. There are things I do not give Bentley even when the vet suggests them. I research them and determine myself if they are good for him. He suggested some Hills for Bentley's teeth and I researched Hills and was not impressed so I will get his teeth cleaned next month (as usual) and then get religious about brushing them daily. I never thought I would be brushing a dog's teeth. :)

I tried scraping the plaque off Arlie's teeth, I can't imagine him letting a dentist do it. He seems to like the toothbrush/toothpaste, but he doesn't get that you aren't supposed to try and eat it.

When Bentley goes to the groomer, she scraps his teeth but he is a tartar guy so about every 18 months he get them cleaned. They have to sedate him lightly for that. While he is sedated they check his body over thoroughly for cysts (Goldens get cancer easily) and draw blood. I hate doing it but it is essential that his teeth stay healthy of course. I need to start brushing them daily now instead of once in a while. He does not mind and eats the chicken flavored toothpaste made for dogs. Bentley tried to eat the brush also like Arlie :)

Today is Arlie's last day of pills. Now to wait until Tues. to get his blood draw and until Wed. when I get the results.

I just know he is fine...I feel it in my old bones...but do let us know about test results. I know it will be on your mind between now and then.

Mary

HI Kay,

I, too, think Arlie will be fine. Now that we have Bentley squared away, and a new DW for Mary, we turn our positive intentions to Arlie through next Tuesday so that he gets a gold star from the vet. :)

fae

You're right that I'll breathe a sigh of relief come Wed. when I get the results, but for now, I'm thinking positive. His stools are going back to normal color with stopping taking the K-1.

I can't believe it, but Arlie is sick. My guess is it's his intestines again. What I don't know is "why". Usually it's when he's gotten a hold of something he shouldn't have but he hasn't gotten loose. The only thing he might have gotten into is some cat food, I keep it up on the dryer so he can't reach it but it's on a rug so my old cat can jump up there, hanging onto the rug to help her make it...sometimes he pulls the rug to him and the food with it, grrr! But he can't get more than their bowl full, I wouldn't think that'd make him sick. Anyway, I'm making rice, potatoes, chicken breast and yogurt for him to start on tomorrow night, he's going to have to go without food until then. I started him on his Probiotics. I'm planning on taking him to the vet Tues. anyway, so I may have to ask them about this as well. Some dogs are just high maintenance!

Incidentally, today I was watching "My cat from hell" and decided to make a cat toy to entice my cats with. They weren't too interested but Arlie came running and batted it around! So cute. That's one reason I love him so much, always playful. I can hear him in the next room batting it around again.

Kay, I am so sorry Arlie is sick. I can't imagine it is related to the rat poison since he has been fine all along but I know it is disconcerting. I am so sorry. Do keep us informed about Tuesday's appointment and I hope he is better before then.

Mary

Oh, Goodness!

Kay, I hope it is just a bad case of cat food.

Is he able to drink water? Did you change anything in his diet, because I know you were talking about adding water to canned food to make gravy so he would get more fluids. Or Mary was telling you about it. Did any of his foods change? He was doing so well, and this must be a cat food attack or something else, for it to just start up this way, unless he found a morsel of something somewhere.

I am trying to problem-solve for you with way too little data.

Sorry.

I am still sort of off balance from Darcy's emergency surgery yesterday. The children came out this morning before soccer -- she is trying to keep things normal -- and I gave them a kindly talk on taking care of their mother when she got home today, and not letting her jump up and do too much. Sarah is following through. :) Jeff will be home tomorrow. Their dear dog, Snowy, is aging, and still a love, but moving slower these days.

I love the cat toy story. Arlie being playful is a good sign that he is really all right.

I hope you are getting some rest this weekend. Your life sounds entirely overwhelming to me right now.

Thank you for your sharing and friendship.

*<twinkles>*

fae

No I don't use canned food. I didn't make gravy. I used a beef boullion cube to 3/4 c. water to mix with the ground pills (the vet said that was a great idea, then added a mixture of Ramen noodles, vegetables, and chicken breast...only gave him 1/4 c. per meal, just to get his pills down him, did this twice a day,then his reg. dog food. He's been eating on this for a month so I don't think it has anything to do with that. Possibly the cat food I suspect he got into (I know how much they eat and don't think they emptied their bowl w/o help). Normally that alone wouldn't set him off but who knows, he's so sensitive. Anyway, no more food for him for 24 hours to give his system a rest, then he'll start his special concoction I always make him when he's sick. Skye gets Colitis so I've made it for him many times, I guess Huskies are just prone to this. Arlie's system gets irritated and everything passes through too quickly, so he doesn't get the nutrition from it that he should. He's still drinking water and still playful. I don't think he's gotten anything else because he only goes outside on a leash, I've been with him since Thurs. night. He had one bout earlier this week, then a recurrence this morning, then tonight it was way worse.

I have Morning Worship Team in the morning, will be gone 5 1/2 hours but he'll be in his pen. He must be upset, he chewed the corner off his dog bed, he's had it for four years so I was surprised.

Kay, how is the pup today????

He seems to feel better but that's because I had him fast for 24 hours so his system could rest. This morning his eyes were droopy and he wasn't smiling but tonight he's vocal and playful. I just fed him his first feeding on my concoction. The vet. appt. Tues will be timely.

So glad he is better...Whew! You are a good mom!!

I am so glad to hear that Arlie is playful, vocal, and bright-eyed again. And eating healthful foods.

Yes, Kay, you are a super mom. Special dishes for Arlie, and feeding him probiotics, which I read up on a little. And no medications, good for you!

Much Love,

fae

For Queen Mary

Okay, I'm moving this back here because some people might not care to read about my dog.

Finally heard from the vet and she thinks it's Colitis and that it's originating from the colon and that he'd benefit from some fiber so she wants me to add canned pumpkin to the mixture. She's taking a "wait and see" stance and if he's not doing better after the weekend I should call for an appt. What she says seems to differ from the internet which stated it was intestinal infection or obstruction (which I don't think) and to get to the vet immediately. She said if it continues or if he displays Diarrhea to bring him in and they might want to do some more blood work up. I hope he gets better...if they thought they needed blood work up they should have done so from the first time they drew blood so he wouldn't have to go through it all over again! After all, I had brought in his stool and showed it to them and had told them about his symptoms. It's all rather frustrating!

Anyway, I'm back to where I started, still don't know anything. I canceled my plans to take Arlie up to see my son and his dogs, will try for two weeks from now when he's hopefully better.

Frustrating to say the least, Kay. I'm so sorry. This is one of those times when we realize that medicine is more of an art than a science ~ more like educated guesswork than a certainty. I hope Arlie appreciates the fact that he has the best mom in the universe ~ and you can tell him I said that.

Ahh, thanks! :wub: But then I think he's the best dog in the world (for me) so I guess we're even. I don't think the vets think so. He is anxious and gets scared and balks at whatever torture they're trying to do to him. I told them if strangers took me away from my mommy and tried to cram charcoal down my throat and I didn't know why, I wouldn't let them either. Or if two big people I didn't know took a staple gun to my cut hurting paw, I wouldn't cooperate either. Fortunately, my local vet gets that and understands, she's great with him and lovingly calls him "The Moose" when he arrives. But she's only there on Wednesdays and doesn't do lab work so we have to put up with the out of town vets.

I remember that lovely tribute. And I love the name Moose for a large dog...your Dad's or Kay's. It says it all :)

Mary, love the corgi treadmill video.....my girls would really benefit, they are both overweight. They were weighed at the vets this week, and are both at the top end of recommended weight for their breed, slightly over 30 for each of them....30 is absolutely the top end. Guess we all three are going to get more serious about dieting!!

Kay, so sorry that you are continuing to have problems with your baby....and they are our babies. Hope it all eases up for you and him very soon. I posted on "positives" about my fun trips to the vet, especially with Faith, the little devil!

Mary (Queeniemary) in Arkansas