Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Alert! Important Announcement!

MartyT

As some of you may know, hospices across the country are experiencing the chilling effects of a combination of events (including a decrease in admissions, increased government scrutiny via audits, cuts in Medicare reimbursement and implementation of the Affordable Care Act). To keep itself financially healthy, Hospice of the Valley has responded by cutting costs wherever possible. In recent days, departments have been reorganized, functions have been consolidated, a number of positions have been eliminated, and nearly 100 staff have been let go. I am sorry to say that one week ago today, I was notified that my own position as moderator of HOV’s online Grief Discussion Forums has been eliminated, along with HOV’s sponsorship of our site. As of Monday, September 30, I will no longer be employed by Hospice of the Valley, and as of today, this site no longer will be sponsored by Hospice of the Valley.

In an effort to preserve this site and its content for our members ~at least until I can offer you a suitable alternative ~ I have been working behind the scenes to transfer ownership of our online forums from Hospice of the Valley over to me. We are actively engaged in that transfer now. (You may have noticed already that Hospice of the Valley’s logo has been removed. Soon the plan is for it to revert to its original title, Grief Healing Discussion Groups.)

It goes without saying that I will keep you informed as events unfold. In the meantime, I appreciate your patience, your understanding, your steadfast loyalty to this very special place, and most of all your loving care and continuing support of one another.

Dear Marty, I know all of us are sorry first that Hospices are having so many financial problems and second that your position and HOV's sponsorship of this board ends on Monday. I also know I (and all of us, I am sure) are deeply grateful that you are willing and able to take over the boards at least until a suitable alternative is found. Thank you for that. I know it means a lot to me and to everyone here.

Peace and gratitude,

Mary

• 4 weeks later...

Marty,

Pls confirm the validity of an email I got on a similar topic which I and I'm sure many others received that appears legit, but it would be good to have a confirmation from you here. In fact, I suggest a separate thread "pinned" at the top about this, as you can't be too careful nowdays and it's worth really having "out there" so people know. :) It was an aol.com email address, and those type of emails (and hotmail.com, etc) always raise my eyebrow as they are popular with scammers. Nobody asked for personal or financial info, but again, just want to be sure. I received mine about 6 AM Central Time if that helps. Thanks and best of luck with the new setup!

That is an excellent point, my friend, and I appreciate your bringing it to my attention. I have added the text of the letter I have sent to everyone on our membership list, via each member's email address, to the Announcements at the top of every forum on our site. Thank you for the suggestion.

Dear Marty: I am so sorry about the changes that you're going through with your position & this group. There are not enough words to express my gratitude to you & your support this last year & for having this place to come to for all of it. I am so grateful that you are staying on until other arrangements get made. I found this group by mistake one night in that first week after Dad passed & I say what a great mistake it was. I have read everything you've written on grief & used much of the advice I read. Thank you. Lisa