Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Webinars For Personal Growth And Healing

mfh

https://te108.infusionsoft.com/app/hostedEmail/18660901/dd9c63fa8c8f8901?inf_contact_key=f0775d697cfdf21a789bdfd2ebfc3c3b01df17c3f01215c01f77cbc1e1052a4d

Rachel Naomi Remen MD is an author who wrote Kitchen Table Wisdom.

TODAY at 2pm Central (3pm EST) she will present a FREE webinar on Medicine for the Soul: 10 ways your soul guides you in daily life. The link above provides the code needed to watch this free seminar. To learn more about Rachel and listen to or watch other material, click here: http://www.rachelremen.com/

I believe that using a variety of tools to assist us in healing our grief is a wise move. Things like meditation, reading, journaling, being here, and learning how the stress (and for some the trauma) of what we are dealing with affects our bodies and brains are included on that list.

NICABM presents another series. This one on neuroscience. This Wednesday (5pm EST) and every Wednesday through Feb. 26. This week is Rick Hanson on Happiness and Neuroplasticity: Simple Strategies for Rewiring Your Brain

Here is the schedule: http://www.nicabm.com/brain2014/freeconfirmed/

You can pay for the series which is outstanding but it is pricey.

If you watch these outstanding webinars LIVE they are FREE and they re-run them back to back.

Here is a download on Resetting the Nervous System after Trauma by Peter Levine, author of Waking the Tiger.

Levine+-+What+Resets+Our+Nervous+System+After+Trauma.pdf

TODAY 5pm and 6:30pm EST...another free webinar..today on Happiness and Neuroplasticity

Rick Hanson, PhD will be my guest today as part of our brand new webinar series on the New Brain Science. We'll be getting into how to rewire your brain for a happier life, as well as three simple practices you can use to make your experiences more positive.

The webinar will be broadcast for free at 5pm EST (4pm Central, 3pm Mountain, 2pm Pacific), and rebroadcast at 6:30pm EST - to find out when that is in your part of the world, here's a time zone converter.

Plus, we will also have an additional rebroadcast of the webinar at 11am EST on Thursday, January 30th, so you can also tune in then.

Here's your access information for today's webinar:

• See the video webcast here.
  • Hear the audio webcast here.

We're expecting an unprecedented number of people to tune in tonight, so make sure to get on early.

And here's a look at the agenda:

• How to Turn Positive Experiences into Lasting Brain Change
  • How to Use Neuroplasticity to Transform a Reactive, Negative Brain into a Responsive, Productive One
  • The Importance of Novelty for Neuroplasticity: Why New Experiences Have Such a Transformative Effect on the Brain
  • The 5 Factors that Help Learning Take Hold, and How They Promote Neuroplasticity
  • How to Turn Positive Experiences into Lasting Brain Change
  • How to Rewire Your Brain to Have More Positive Experiences

Rick will also explore how the brain's hardwiring can sometimes intensify stressful situations, as well as some ways we can train our brain to adjust. I hope you won't miss it.

All best,

Ruth

PS For all 10 sessions in the New Brain Science Series (including 6 webinars, 4 bonus sessions, plus the videos, audio recordings, and transcripts for each), you can sign up for a Gold Membership here.

PPS To make it easy for you to watch, we've put together a quick tip sheet to help you get ready for the webinar.

PPPS We will rebroadcast the free webinar at 6:30pm EST today, and one more time at 11am EST tomorrow - so if you miss it the first time it airs, or you'd just like to watch again, please join us then.

Ruth M. Buczynski, PhD
President and Licensed Psychologist
The National Institute for the Clinical
Application of Behavioral Medicine
http://www.nicabm.com

Follow me on Twitter:
http://twitter.com/RuthBuczynski
Follow me on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/NICABM

NICABM, PO Box 523, Mansfield Center, CT 06250, USA

This webinar was excellent. Yes, I have notes but haven't put them together. Not now. My brain needs to stay with my grief for a while and try to release what is negative.

Anne, I am so glad you have notes (for someday down the road) because I fell sound asleep and missed it and I did not pay for this series. So someday when your brain is able and you are motivated to do the notes, I will look forward to them. There are a couple more freebies this week. I will check and post them. I just spent two hours with my web developer for my website and my brain is fried but I will see what tomorrow holds in terms of webinars. Check later...I suspect you are up in the nights a lot...I hope you are sleeping but I suspect you are up and down so when you check in, look here. :wub:

Please excuse me if my notes are not clear - my brain is in 'grief mode' (my excuse).

Once again I think this was an excellent webinar with Rick Hanson, PhD speaking on

“Happiness & Neuroplasticity: Simple Strategies for Rewiring Your Brain”

Here are my notes while the webinar is fresh in my mind since I don’t have anything written to fall back on – I did not pay for the Gold Membership either. I am not in the profession as Ruth sometimes thinks all those listening are since she wants us to buy the Gold Membership. ^_^ I am listening for the information I can get from these people.

Dr. Hanson talked about cultivating positive emotions buy recognizing the actions of our brains. He talked about three core needs that we all have and they are a need for safety, getting satisfaction for those needs, and recognizing a connection system (love)

Now here’s where it gets interesting. Dr. Hanson divided our brains into three sections: the brain stem or (lizard/fruit fly area) where all that’s happening is survival – avoiding harm; the mammalian or (mouse area) where needs are just met; and the cortex or (monkey area) where more reasoning takes place, we can be more verbal or offer judgments.

So, we need to do three things: avoid harm (safety), meet needs and motivation (satisfaction), and approach rewards (make those connections)

If all these areas are not met the brain acts surprised which he calls a green zone (the green zone builds us up) or a red zone (tears us down) and you don’t want to be in a pink zone because it’s just not good for us!! I don’t know if I get this.

How to rewire the brain: develop inner strengths like mindfulness, compassion, happiness – we want to cultivate them – they are traits and we grow these positive traits by activating them – having more moments of mindfulness and gratefulness and happiness and compassion. . .

So to instill this positive state we have to foster positive rather than negative thinking. Marty just mentioned this not too long ago – think more positive rather than negative.

Dr. Hanson uses an acronym to further explain this: HEAL

H – have a positive experience

E – enrich the experience

A – absorb the experience fully and

L – link the positive experience with the negative experience

Have it/enjoy it – more good episodes in life – repeat, repeat those good episodes

Something good happened – do you feel anything – do you stay with it

Give the gift to yourself – the more you feel your own self you are better to give to others

Enjoy the moments – relax/exhale – be safe

• 3 ways – be with it, witness, feel it, hold it in a big space; release what’s negative; and cultivate it as taking care of a garden – replace what we have released to something positive
  • GRIEF – takes longer – you stay with the be with it stage longer
  • "We must grow flowers or the weeds will come back."
  • eg – you’ve been wronged – be aware – unpack what’s happening; release the negative; grow the positive – talk about it, you are really cared about; linking - bring to mind other experiences that are/were good
  • eg – safety system – be realistic but focus on the positive - centered in being strong – endurance – you can be strong even with anxiety
  • when threats occur don’t go into the red zone; when loss occurs you don’t stay in it

Dr. Ronald Siegel, PhD and Dr. Kelly McGonigal, PhD participated in the talk back

Their thoughts:

K – positive emotions are a resource – cultivate positive emotions

R – cultivate positive emotions –we have the lizard, mouse, and monkey inside us – he liked the acronym HEAL and the three systems (3 sets of needs) - safety, satisfaction, connections

Mother Nature wants us to be frightened! –

K – looked on the 3 sets of needs as upgrades to the brain

R – HEAL idea – tooth aches – appreciate what is not here right now

K – red light, green light – get out of the red light state instead of recognizing it – embrace the unmet need

R – be aware of the negativity bias – Velcro/Teflon – one sticks the other doesn’t -

See that the mind is going to remember the bad and forget about the good – what is it that I am afraid of –

Quite a bit to absorb in this webinar - I think that the more we focus on the positives the healthier we’ll be. If we give ourselves positive traits we will be able to offer something positive to others. It just convinces me that the more I am mindful, compassionate, happy, or grateful the healthier I’ll be. I don’t know if that’s what Dr. Hanson is saying but I do know that we have to practice and repeat, practice and repeat. We can choose to stay in the negative state or choose the positive state. If we are always negative – rewire and move to the positive. It’s our choice. We can change.

Anne, if these notes are a sample of your brain not functioning up to par, I would like to see what you do when it is up to par. These are amazing notes. Nothing wrong with your brain. Thank you...I will study them.

The End of Life University talk today is here... I think it is noon my time... but not sure I am going to watch it.

http://us2.campaign-archive1.com/?u=3ca907a9f101567d342c3f4ef&id=228632a5f5&e=814cf4140d

Peace to you and everyone here today,

Mary

I agree with Mary, dear Anne ~ you are amazing. Truly. And I think, when all is said and done, you got the most important message in this presentation: We can choose to stay in the negative state or choose the positive state. If we are always negative – rewire and move to the positive. It’s our choice. We can change.

This is not a webinar but it is on the web presented by the UW-Madison. Each day in February, starting today they are presenting an idea of self care called 28 days 28 ways to Love Your Heart.

http://www.uwhealth.org/go-red/28-days-28-ways-to-love-your-heart/42504

I really like the idea of self care. Thank you, Mary, for this link.

This afternoon I listened to a teleseminar given by Panache Desai titled:

“Unleashing Infinite Potential and living the life of your dreams”…such a positive talk.

All negative feelings can be viewed as positives - sadness is a blessing...fear is a blessing…doubt is a blessing – if we could only embrace these feelings

• Greatness quietly resides in each and everyone of us
  • We can all unleash infinite potential – I will be this person I want to be for it will serve us all
  • Rest in the awareness of your breath
  • I love myself as I am
  • Relax into who you are
  • Recognizing who I am is enough
  • Embrace what you feel
  • Just be yourself

I just liked the whole tone of his talk. These are life experiences that are inside all of us and we do have the potential to embrace whatever feeling enters our minds.

Dear Anne, You are welcome. Desai was on Oprah's Super Soul Sunday recently. Here is a link to him there: http://myown.oprah.com/search/index.html?q=panache%20desai

I do agree that as much as we tend to want to run from fear and pain and yes, grief...it is a positive. It is a tough way to grow but pain in all its forms is how we grow. If we were perfectly content and happy we would not change.

I love your notes, as usual. Thanks for sharing

Mary

This just in, from Ashley Davis Bush:

I think Wayne Dyer is an amazing spiritual teacher! Have you ever heard him in person? The next best thing is hearing him being interviewed.

I also think that 'tapping' (an acupressure technique to relieve mental and emotional stress) is an amazing resource.

Imagine my delight to see the two combined - Wayne Dyer and tapping!

This link will take you to a FREE interview with Nick Ortner and Wayne Dyer. It's an incredible talk that describes Wayne's forgiveness process toward his alcoholic, abusive, absent father. It also is a conversation about love and generosity.

And, you will learn about the incredible power of tapping. I highly recommend it.

Check it out: http://thetappingsolution.com/cmd.php?Clk=5203276

If you had been in Wayne's shoes, would you have been able to forgive?

Who do you have in YOUR life that you need to forgive? How would it change your life to forgive and release any anger, resentment, hatred or other negative emotions that you carry, towards BOTH others as well as yourself?

I hope you take a few minutes to watch this video, and I highly recommend attending the 10 day Tapping World Summit, which begins on February 24th. This event has had over a million people attend it over the last 5 years. It is a huge, life-changing, FREE event.

http://thetappingsolution.com/cmd.php?Clk=5203276

Wishing you peace,

Ashley

P.S. - I think you'll agree that it's a really powerful and moving interview - enjoy!

Click here: http://thetappingsolution.com/cmd.php?Clk=5203276

Along with Marty's link from Ashley Davis Bush which you can watch right now,

Today’s webinar with Ruth Buczynski will feature Daniel Goleman, PhD, discussing “how concentration can predict success and the number one circuit in the brain that can derail focus.”

Sign in FREE and click on: Featured Practitioner, Daniel Goleman, PhD

5:00 PM EST and other scheduled times shown at:

www.nicabm.com

Topics include:

• The Link between Mindfulness and Concentration (and How to Strengthen It)
  • What Your Brain Is Actually Doing When You Think You’re Multitasking
  • Maintaining Concentration Amid Distractions: 4 Strategies to Stay Focused
  • The 3 Kinds of Attention Every Good Leader Needs to Know
  • The Number One “Distractor Circuit” in the Brain that Derails Concentration

The Talk Back feature at the end with Ron Siegel, PsyD and Kelly McGonigal, PhD is always a big hit.

This from Gloria Horsley, PhD, President and Founder of Open to Hope:

Philip Seymour Hoffman was one of my favorite actors. I was shocked and distressed by his death, and welcomed the opportunity on Tuesday to be a guest on HuffPost Live to participate in a discussion on celebrity loss. The show is hosted by Caroline Modarressy-Tehrani and included Reverend Robert Chodo Campbell, co-founder of the New York Zen Center, and Rabbi Daniel Greyber. The topic of the show was, "Is it Harder to Cope With an Untimely Death?" One of the primary questions discussed by the panel was: does the death of a celebrity give us an opportunity to grieve openly and talk about death as a community and in safe ways. We seldom do this with our own grief. Celebrities that we know and admire from watching their movies, plays or television performances are the perfect friends and give us just enough distance to talk about death in safe ways. Timelines for grief were discussed with final agreement that grief is a unique and individual experience. Below is the link to the show. Please watch and let me know your thoughts: Is It Harder to Cope with An Untimely Death?

Marty, I watched this broadcast and found it to be well done. Thanks for posting this. Mary

I agree with you, Mary, I thought the broadcast Marty posted was well done. I don't think we can compare any 'type' of death. Loss is so traumatic anyway. Distance does play a factor in how we grieve - I think of JFK, MLK, other people whose lives have been snuffed out. Our grieving with this is collective and I think easier to be more open.

I'm a little behind on my notes from last weeks webinar with Daniel Goleman, PhD. I'm liking Ruth Bucznski as moderator.

Last week’s webinar with Ruth Buczynski featured Daniel Goleman, PhD, who discussed “how concentration can predict success and the number one circuit in the brain that can derail focus.”

www.nicabm.com

Topics included:

• The Link between Mindfulness and Concentration (and How to Strengthen It)
  1. Have breathing buddies – place a little animal on the belly – focus on your breathing – this is called cognitive control
  2. Tenacity Game (available Spring 2014) – how to stay stay focused – a concentration building format - practice mindfulness – attention training – the more you can pay attention the better – use chunking – things you group together – telephone numbers – memorization – memory tricks – we can get good at chunking – used chunking when studying anatomy and taught it to my students years ago
  • What Your Brain Is Actually Doing When You Think You’re Multitasking
  1. We don’t do things all at the same time – our brains can only process one thing at a time - we catch one ball at a time – we use strategies – meditate, eat, exercise
  2. Go to a quiet place – turn things off to concentrate – do a daily builder – keep your energy up – you need rest periods – take naps – exercise, eat good food, get a good night’s sleep - PROTECT your focus
  • Maintaining Concentration Amid Distractions: 4 Strategies to Stay focused
  1. Have a pleasant environment – be comfortable, have a nature picture or a water scene you can focus on – play classical music
  2. Eat healthy, stay hydrated, snack on fruits, nuts, vegies, and walk
  3. Deal with problems at a later time – write them down and deal with them later; deal with one thing at a time (leave e-mails for later, answer phone calls later)
  4. Mix up high and low tasks so you don’t get so tired – prioritize projects
  • The 3 Kinds of Attention Every Good Leader Needs to Know
  1. Be self aware - think of one thing as you filter out other distractions - the more practice the better you are – emotional intelligence begins with self-awareness – pay attention to your physical bodies – go with your ‘gut’ feelings – get feedback from a coach
  2. Focus on others – get people to talk about their dreams – where do you want to be in five years?
  3. Focus on the bigger world around you – think of someone who is/has been successful like Steve Jobs – he had a star team around him – things were simplified – have just a few products
  • The Number One “Distractor Circuit” in the Brain that Derails Concentration – lack of focused attention - take a break from tech tools – teach mindfulness – cultivate the skills of attention

The Talk Back feature at the end with Ron Siegel, PsyD and Kelly McGonigal, PhD is always a big hit.

K – attention is a resource, it’s a trainable skill – it’s not an on or off switch

R – a chain functions well but it is only as good as it’s weakest link – power of delayed gratification – exercise with some restraint – what gets in the way of attention – power of painful actions

R – return your attention – sitting with everything that comes up – be with pain –

K – shared attention –

R – chunk things – give a reward –

K – R/Brain L/Brain – negative/positive - approach vs avoidance - go after something/don’t withdraw

My take on the whole thing - We need to be more self aware and learn how to filter out distractions which means practicing mindfulness is not a bad idea. We need to place our focus on others and find out what they are thinking and what they what to do with the rest of their lives, and we need to see the bigger picture of what's going on in our world - there are enough good leaders to learn from. And most important we need to teach our children to be more focused in their lives. Put down the tech tools for a while and cultivate the skills of attention.

Just in from Karen Wyatt, MD:

End-of-Life University Seminar Series:

Save the date for Thursday February 13th so you won't miss this inspiring interview with Certified Grief Recovery Specialist Cheryl Parker.

Thursday's interview is with Cheryl Parker who became a grief recovery specialist after the sudden loss of her 8 year-old daughter. Cheryl will share with us how she helps her clients manage grief and also talk about her experience with organ donation and how it helped her move on through her grief.

Learn more about the interview at this link.

Here's how to attend:

Date: Thursday, February 13th
Time: 10 am Pacific/1 pm Eastern
Dial in #: (425) 440-5100

PIN code: 882570#

Attend by Web:
http://InstantTeleseminar.com/?eventid=50865159

Anne, thank you for the notes. These run late in the afternoon and my ability to concentrate wanes.....

I will print your notes out.

Marty, In regards to the End of Life University webcast that you just posted - I have an access pass ($36 for the year) and that pass allows members/holders to share these talks via mp3. I will post after the one on Thursday in case someone misses it or wants to watch it at another time.

"I wish you'd never been born!" Those were the words that Bobbie heard from her father at her 5th birthday party, in front of her closest friends.

They were just a few of the terribly painful words she had to endure from her father...for years. This particular event, as you can imagine, was incredibly traumatic and continued to cause her pain decades later.

If you want to see what Tapping can do for you, then you're going to love seeing this video from a recent 3-day event that I ran. You'll get to see Bobbie go through a powerful emotional and physical transformation right before your eyes.

It will likely change the way you view yourself, your past and your future. Trust me when I tell you that you're going to be glued to this video!

Just watch the first few minutes and you'll see what I mean:

nick1-playbutton.jpg

http://thetappingsolution.com/2014VideoSeries/?page_id=17

All of us have dealt with childhood traumas, little or big events where we felt hurt, upset, scared, angry or any other painful emotion.

And many of these events, whether we realize it or not, continue to affect us today, in our beliefs, our level of confidence, the emotions we feel and so much more.

Take a second to think back on your childhood. What event or events come to mind where you felt hurt, upset, scared, angry or any other negative emotion? When you think back on these events, how do you think they’ve affected you today?

This video will show you just how easily and quickly you can take the negative charge off of those memories and how you can release the conscious and unconscious holds that they have on you.

One thing that you might find interesting about this video is that it was filmed during a live event that is focused on the connection between our emotions and physical pain. During the video, you’ll actually get to see Bobbie get rid of the pain in her knees, something that she hadn’t had happen in 25 years!

Until next time…

Keep Tapping!

Nick Ortner

P.S. - This is the 3rd video in the pre-event celebration of the 6th annual Tapping World Summit. If you missed the previous videos with Dr. Wayne Dyer and Dr. Lissa Rankin, you can find them here and here.

P.P.S We’ve had so many people joining us in the past couple of days, excited about the 6th annual Tapping World Summit, and many are new to tapping, which is really exciting.

If you want a quick primer on the science and research behind EFT Tapping, you might enjoy this short article from The Huffington Post: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/nick-ortner/emotional-freedom-technique_b_1349223.html and if you didn’t get your free “How To Tap” and “Science and Research” audios, you can find them here:

http://thetappingsolution.com/2014tappingworldsummit/reg_thank_you.html

newsletter-divide.jpg

newsletter-nickortner.png

Nicolas Ortner - NY Times Best-Selling author of "The Tapping Solution" and Executive Producer of the documentary film by the same name.

"The Tapping Solution" is a ground-breaking book and film exploring EFT, a combination of Ancient Chinese Acupressure and Modern Psychology that provides startling results.

View the trailer at http://www.thetappingsolution.com

newsletter-divide.jpg

Excellent post, Marty. I do believe tapping has validity and have used it with certain clients (and myself) over the past years. Thanks for posting this. I think it is something that can assist anyone here. I do believe that a good part of the freedom/release she felt (and hopefully continued the work long after the conference) was related to her telling her story over and over again to others, who gave supportive feedback....The mix (tapping along with sharing) is what makes it more effective...

I say this because I think it relates to how people here in the forums help each other...by sharing stories and returning over and over again... and by listening to each others stories...and giving feedback of affirmation.

Mary

Excellent points, Mary ~ thank you for sharing them. I too watched the video, and I had the same reaction. Sharing that awful story in such detail, in such a public way, is not unlike what goes on in a (very well-run) support group. Such an experience can be very powerful, and this video illustrates that beautifully. Tapping / EFT is an amazing tool, but I think its successful implementation also depends upon who is using it, under what circumstances, and how skillfully it is applied. In any event, if any of our members is considering EFT, I think this video ~ and perhaps this upcoming Tapping World Summit ~ would be a good place to start.

I totally agree...and the compassion and empathy of the "clinician, facilitator". I do think this is a great place to start for anyone interested in using EFT.

I hope you are celebrating that birthday today!!

Mary :wub:

For those who want to pursue EFT (as presented in the video posted by Marty) within the links is this link which explains how to tap in a very clear way: http://www.thetappingsolution.com/#how-to-do-eft-tapping

This just in, from Ashley Davis Bush:

My newest "Embracing Change" radio show is available. It's about how a single word can shape your life this year. It's the "Word of the Year" practice and is far more fun to implement than a New Year's resolution!

Listen to learn what my word of the year is. And learn how you can discover your own word of the year to be a guiding compass for 2014

Click HERE to download and listen anytime for FREE.

Enjoy,

Ashley

P.S. Every episode is a ½ hour podcast which you can download anytime and listen to for FREE thanks to webtalkradio.net. You can also listen to my first show on "Transforming Traumatic Grief" and my second show on "Infidelity Changes Everything." Click here to check them all out!