Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Funnies: Things That Make Us Laugh

MartyT

Dear ones, after watching this side-splitting video (at least it split MY sides), it occurred to me that maybe we need to include a thread here for things that make us laugh. Laughter is, after all, the best medicine, and we all need a little dose of the funnies sometimes to brighten our day. Here is the video (with thanks to Karen Wyatt, MD) and I hope you enjoy it as much as I did:

http://youtu.be/IQUg75Q_t1c

Marty, I think the topic is perfect and the kick off video is great...I started smiling when that first man started smiling and then laughing. Others will also. And it is so healing to laugh. So contagious. It is also pretty powerful. Great idea in the middle of cabin fever weather out west and east and in between. Thanks for this. I am sure I will have some contributions to this topic. Mary

Both of these are priceless!

When I read that Sid Caesar had passed away a few days ago, I decided to check You Tube for some of his skits. One I thought was so funny & clever is "The German General". If someone could post the link for me as I don't know how........... Listen carefully to the dialogue. I always loved the older, "cleaner" comedians.

Thanks,

Karen

I think this is an appropriate place to tell you that on Thursday the high will be 3 below zero and the low will be 32 below zero without the wind chill which could bring it into the 50s below. This is on the 2nd last day of February. Are you laughing yet? :glare::wacko::P:D

Dear Mary,

Smiling, if not laughing. Oh my goodness! Records are being set in Wisconsin, I imagine. It is snowing here, and we are expecting another 4-6" today. I had the good sense to cancel seeing my GP this morning, took my own blood pressure, etc, and am doing all right, so it can wait. No use wrestling with drifts to be told to keep doing what I am doing. :) I'll see her next week, and by then SSK will be here, so we will have a fun time. It might get up to 32F today. Then again, maybe not. The snow is lovely and feeders are busy.

Here we are in the depths of winter. I hope everyone is warm and cozy, sipping something comforting. That all the pups and kitties are snug as well.

And Marty, I was living in the moment, and it did get boring, so I did take a nap. We can learn so much from the furred ones. :) And I laughed so much at that solution to ennui. Of course, cats and dogs have always known that.

And when life feels boring, maybe we just need to look a little deeper. Then laugh at Mary's 'are we there yet?' because of course, there is no arrival. Just the Wheel.

Ah a bit of the tropics for us . . .

desert_island.png

http://xkcd.com/731/

*<twinkles>*

fae, off to forage for chocolate :)

What a great graphic. Just look deeper and there is an entire world to see.

Yes, we have set records. I have spent all but 4 years of my life in the midwest (Il and WI) and you know what Chicago can be in winter. But this is surreal. Most of our snow has come in 2-4 inch snow falls...sometimes quite wet and heavy. But our world is white (well, now dirty white) here and it won't blow around because it is frozen solid. We are hoping for a slow melt or we head into floods. A more than hot hot hot summer is predicted...Mother Earth likes balance. Today's high was, I think -3 but my car said 12 when i went to the PO (heat wave) and with the wind it was as it has been since December...bitter cold. I even broke down and zoomed through Culver's and bought poor Bentley a hamburger (his heart's desire) as he has had a boring 3 months. Mostly he refuses to get in the car because it is sort of like a deep freezer even though garaged. He looks at me as if I am crazy to invite him along and walks back to his bed. Smart dog. Below is how it looks and has looked for months. I am just to the left of Lake Michigan, halfway between that and the left border...look closely and you will see me waving.

1891277_10152060661387713_1272576862_n.j

Wow, and look at the other lakes! And Green Bay looks solid. Yes, I remember the winter of 78-79, when we were all on skis in Evanston, as the plows could not get through. Actually, it was rather fun. :)

Yes, I see you and Bentley, you in a jaunty beret and warm coat, and Bentley in his winter togs.

Now go back inside, step out of the cold, and for gosh sakes, keep your ears warm!

Thank you for that photo!

Brrrr!

fae

I hope people have enough heating fuel and warm clothes.

I have friends who live in very old homes...lovely but old and they are cold. One says she feels like her house is a birdcage with wind blow through and she had insulation blown into most of it last year. It IS cold here. Arctic circle cold...in fact many days we were colder than the North Pole.

Oscars are on my agenda though I notice every year the stars of my youth are leaving this plane pretty rapidly. I don't even know most of the newbies but I have watched the Oscars since they were televised in the 50s so I won't stop now...and I LOVE that cartoon. I do think the Retrievers win the Oscar. Bentley is a pro at that.

Now that one I can identify with! They missed the act where the cat sits on your lap & digs his claws into your legs. LOL No more cat on lap for me!

Karen

Really, someone should have awards for animals. (Small cups, filled with treats.) and a certificate suitable for framing, of course.

"Best innocent look after eating the canary."

"Most pathetic look when refused a biscuit"

"Best management of leash and collar when wanting to go out."

"Best management of human servant when wanting to sit in the window and watch birds while also eating shrimp bits from own bowl."

"Most trippingly artistic arrangement of self in middle of kitchen floor."

"Longest time blocking bathroom door"

and the list goes on. :D

But they are all making me smile. :)

fae