Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Positive Things To Do?

I am spending the day getting caught up with school, but I am home all evening...as always now. I am trying to do something nice for myself...to try to feel better. I am so lonely and sad. Is there a movie anyone could recommend? I have a hard time watching TV to relax, since everything reminds me of my husband. It is so sad because I never feel good, joyful or content.

I know there are some movies on grief. I am not sure if that is the answer. I thought someone might be able to recommend something I could watch this evening. Something hopeful that you have watched maybe? I sent a note to Mary and she suggested life after life movies as a possibility.

Thank you.

Audra, my dear, you might find the below article helpful. As I say in the piece,

Movies can be an effective tool in addressing certain grief issues, especially when your selections are made consciously and deliberately.

Before you see or rent a movie, take time to read the film's description and reviews to help you decide whether watching it will support you at this point in your grief journey. Pay attention to whatever feelings and reactions come up for you while watching it, and let yourself cry if you need to. If you're not comfortable doing this alone, ask a trusted friend or family member to watch the movie with you, and discuss it together afterward.

In this spirit, this list of movies for those in mourning is offered, categorized by the aspect of grief primarily addressed in a given film or DVD. For description of movies and reviews, click movie title.

Read on here: Grief Observed: Using Movies to Move through Grief

Thank you, Marty. You have so much information. It is not easy to just relax and take it easy. Each day is so different with emotions, but this gives me an opportunity to try to get my mind off of myself and how bad I feel.

I appreciate it!

Audra

I couldn't watch a movie for the first year after George died, but thankfully was able to get back into that. It took me nearly nine years to be able to read a book all the way through, my focus was just not the same. I still don't read as much as I used to, but hopefully it's coming back. fae usually has a good list of movies...hopefully she'll be along soon.

Thank you so much. It is hard for me to read as well. I did watch A Rumor of Angels. I cried a lot, but maybe that is a good thing.

Thank you, Marty. I should take the introduction to grief course on line. I forgot about that.

I am not sure what is best for now. I guess it just keeps changing each day. I know that coming here and facing the grief is better than trying to hide from it. I was trying to dodge it for a while by staying busy.

It is so hard to get focused and to get back into life. Not having someone that really loves me the way he did is an empty feeling.

It sounds like George was the love of your life, KayC. I read one of your responses and it broke my heart to hear your story. Thank you for sharing your story and your advice. It is comforting to know that others understand how much this hurts.

Yes, George is the love of my life. I am facing something now and it is so much harder alone...if he were here, I could face anything, we always could together.

I am sorry for everyone's loss here, but am glad we have each other and there are several here under a year out, I think it'll be a blessing to be able to go through it all together.