Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Mom's Engagement Ring

Hi! My mother died four yrs ago from Ovarian Cancer. My Dad is engaged to a woman he met online, who he met three months after my mom died. During dinner a few nights ago, my 13 yr old son asked if he got his fiance an engagement ring because they're technically engaged. He said he was going to trade in my mom's engagement ring to put towards his fiance's ring. I didn't say anything at the time because my son was there but I called him yesterday to say that I didn't want him to trade in mom's ring because its sentimental to me. I'm surprised that he never even offered it to me or my brother. My brother said that Dad can fo whatever he wants with mom's ring but I disagree. Am I overreacting?

I don't think you're overreacting at all. He may have wanted to trade it in purely to save on money but honestly, it sounds kind of weird...the gal might not want a ring purchased that way either, has he thought about that? Personally, I think he should offer it to you since you're the only one that seems to have sentimental attachment to it. Maybe he could save money another way, like get cubic zirconia instead of a diamond...the average person can't tell the difference anyway, they do a beautiful job with created stones nowadays. In fact, my lab created emerald cost more than the real thing, and I purchased it for the rich color it had. Or perhaps he can trade in something else. Does he plan on using his old wedding band again? Are there some earrings or something else he could trade in that doesn't have such sentimental value?