Grief Healing Discussion Groups

My Dog Went Missing A Week Ago

sleather

I'm hopeful with you and praying he's found. Just because they haven't seen him doesn't mean he hasn't been there, they can be so elusive, especially if they enjoy their freedom/roaming. My dog is 1/2 Siberian Husky and that particular breed are especially escape artists. My son's dog, Skye, used to run away and be found quite a ways away, but someone always found him and called. Does Tucker have an ID tag on his collar?

I've seen a ton of huskies on the lost and found pages I'm subscribed to. I hear they like to jump fences a lot, which is why so many of them go missing. Tucker was not wearing a collar when he went missing. It's one of my biggest regrets of that day. I was so scared after he'd gone missing for only half an hour the night before that I decided he was going to wear his collar from now on, regardless of his skin allergies, and we were also going to get him an underground fence. The only thing that kept me from putting the collar on him that morning was that in his mind, collar = walk or car ride, because I always put it on him before we went out. I was afraid he would try to follow my car (which he used to do the first six months I had him), and I was afraid that if I put it on him and kept him inside all day he would flip and stress himself out all day. My plan was to get to work early and come home early so I could take him for a walk before it got dark, and then just not take his collar off him afterwards. He only needed to make it one more day. So that morning I left early, and that's when I remember him standing in the driveway which was unusual for him. It was as if he was saying, I'm just waiting until you leave, then I need to go somewhere. And I left, and came home early, and he wasn't here. I think my actions that day will always haunt me at least a little bit.

I think in our lives we all have a day (or two) like that. (((hugs)))

• 1 year later...

Sleather, I am so sorry to hear this story about Tucker. It is agonizing to lose a pet and have no idea what happened.You just don't know... 

I once had a cat  named Freya whom I adored; she was the first cat I ever had on my own as an adult. She was always kind of wild and loved to be outdoors, but she didn't really wander for long. Then, she was gone for 11 months; I was moving and she got the idea that something was up and I don't know what happened, but I wasn't there for her to come home to. I kept going back to where I had lived, looking around, calling her, and asking my former neighbors, but no one ever said they saw her.  She was found about 9 miles away, 11 months later. She was hanging around a trailer park, upsetting the residents because she was killing a lot of birds and so they called Animal Control to come pick her up. The only reason I got her back was that she had a collar with a tag with my work phone-not my home phone, which had changed twice since then. I had finally decided she was dead, and it was like seeing a ghost to have her back. You just never know with animals...

This person hasn't been on for over a year so won't likely see your thoughtful response.

I am sorry to hear the story of missing Tucker. I really hope he is still around somewhere exploring the world and some day he decides to show up again... I'm sure you have done this already but I would let all the vet clinics, grooming salons, etc.. (the places people take their dogs to) know Tucker's missing and leave his picture and microchip #, in case someone picked him up to keep him bring him to these places. You and Tucker will be in my thoughts and prayer. 

On May 3, 2016 at 8:44 PM, kayc said:

This person hasn't been on for over a year so won't likely see your thoughtful response.

You're right! it's 2016 now! I really am lost in space...sometimes I feel like I really am hanging by a thread...

• Upvote 1

I went to a meeting today and presented a 12 page paper to a couple that I had written - a psychoeducational  evaluation I had done on their child. The father is a physician and the mother is also bright and well-educated. I worked really hard at doing a good and careful job of it-after all this is their precious child. On the other hand, I am just not all there. When I handed them the report I pointed out that it was 12 pages of material and if they found any mistakes, Please would they let me know so I could fix it... I hope I don't look like I am hanging by a thread, but I might...