Grief Healing Discussion Groups

It's Been A Long Time Since I Last Posted...

The_Animal

Storm is almost five (next month). And my oldest son (*gasp* a teenager) plays hockey. Thinking back to how my Dad started off my son's love of skating by taking him to the rink, and now that task transferred to me. My Dad got to spend a lot of time with Chris in his early years and Chris still remembers Grandpa fondly.

SurreyFlyers426.jpg

(Chris #20 (middle) scores a goal against Abbotsford).

I take pictures of Chris playing hockey nowadays and fondly wish that my dad could be there to see how much Chris has progressed (He's now going for rep tryouts this fall). It's hard to believe that it's been five years (going on 6 this December) already since Dad (Chris', Cameron's and Storm's Grandpa) passed away. I still work from home as photographer, but I now do a lot of "hockey" photography.

I guess life does go on...but it took a good long while to get back on an even keel and a lot of soul-searching, but I feel like I've gotten past the log-jam of grief and am starting to remember the good-times without the lump in the throat choking up my ability to talk. Although I still find myself wishing that I could confide in him one more time...

I see you have other posts but am unable to find them so am not sure of your history to respond to.

It does take a long time to go through grief...the missing them never goes away. I'm glad you have your photography and Chris' hockey, it's good to have something we enjoy, it all helps!

Well, a 45th birthday rolled around today. I spent it with my wife and daughter out at Bear Creek Park and took some photographs (the one below). The sons decided to go to Grandma's (she lives a block and a half away). My daughter is the grandchild my dad never got to see... And she's growing up to be a beautiful young girl.

06-12-2015_MyBelovedStorm_wm.jpg

Hard to believe that she's almost five (She was born July 21, 2010 - eight months after my Dad passed away - he'd always said that he wanted a grand-daughter).

Thank you, Marty, for linking the background...I don't know why it didn't come up for me.

The Animal:

I'm sorry for your loss. You're right, it doesn't matter what age they are when we lose them or how long we have them, the loss is real and hard to bear. I was pregnant with my first child when my dad passed, so he never got to meet his grandchildren either. He'd have been such a wonderful grandfather and the sun would have rose and set in his grandchildren! I think we carry this with us all our lives as we always miss them.

Your daughter is beautiful! I like to think they can see them from wherever they are...I just wish that "wherever" was here...now.

I just took a chance and placed his display name in the search engine, Kay ~ and his thread came up.

Thanks, Marty, it's been a while since I poked my nose in here. Been busy... And recovering. I'm taking joy in the days...rather than remembering the pain of those days just after his passing. But there are still times when the old hurt comes back and that's usually on Dad's birthday and the anniversary of his passing.

I understand...today is my late husband's birthday, and the 19th & Father's Day ten years since he passed. It does stir up a lot of emotion. I'm glad for the most part you're able to live in the present and enjoy it fully. What we all need to do!