Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Strange But Comforting

Today has been a very stressful day with not only my grief to contend with but worry over one of my cats which is ill. At lunchtime I went for a walk through the fields near my office. To be alone and get in touch with my emotions. I sat under a tree in the shade and wept, talking to my late mother and praying for calm. I stood up and there on the ground in front of me was a pure white fluffy feather. I'd read about such things being a sign that an angel was with me and I wept again at the thought, this time with gratitude and hope.

I'm sorry your cat is sick on top of everything, I hope it gets better. I'm glad you got a feather for a sign, I've heard of such things. I asked for a sign once and got one...a rainbow...that meant more to me than anything else could have because when my husband died, he went out with a triple rainbow, and thunder/lightening! I figure it made quite a statement when he entered the pearly gates!

How lovely Jame57 that you got the feather. It's an incredible feeling when these things happen.

I took my first outing yesterday to Flamingo Gardens (I took a photo of Ric with me so that he could be there too). I had been wanting to photograph a butterfly but they wouldn't stay put on the plants long enough for me to find them in the view finder. All of a sudden this gorgeous butterfly landed on the leaf of a tree to the right of me. He had this distinctive red rear and what looked like dark blue wings with white dots. This butterfly sat there long enough for me to get 3 photographs (I was using the zoom function and it took me time to find him for each photo). It turns out that he is a rare butterfly (coming close to extinction) in south FL called an Atala. I think it was my Ric letting me know that he was visiting the wildlife sanctuary with me.

Thanks. I've kept the feather as a keepsake. I so want to believe it's a sign but today I just feel I am deluding myself. Just feel very low and hopeless about everything. I'll call in at church in a moment to pray. Hopefully I'll feel more at peace later on.

O Jame57 ... I completely understand about trying to talk ourselves out of the gift (trying to rationalize it and explain it).

I just read John Hollands "The Spirit Whisperer" and I'm thinking about the chapter entitled:Signs and Symbols: Calling Cards from Heaven. "Working with Mother Nature is one of the wonderful way us for those on the Other-Side to grab your attention".

Yesterday afternoon I was checking the clock on my side of the bed and noticed it said 6:15pm. I'm thinking WHAT? How can it be 6:15. Sure enough the rest of the clocks, including the one on Ric's side of the bed said 5:15. I know my clock wasn't fast a couple of days ago and as I moved the time back an hour last night, I realize that it wasn't easy to do and not something I'd have done accidentally while dusting (and lat night I discovered that my clock needed dusting). John Holland says that our loved ones can play with our clocks too.

Personally, I would accept the gift of the feather. In your mind, thank your Mother for the gift. Did Ric really use a butterfly to sit still on a leaf for the 5 minutes or so it took me to photograph it 3 times? I wasn't standing still trying to get it in the viewfinder (a rare butterfly coming back from potential extinction) and it didn't fly away until I'd taken my 3 photographs and I started to move away. I had taken a picture of him with me to the park and photographed him in a couple places. So yes, I think he used that rare butterfly (with a bright red rear) to 1) help me get my photo of a butterfly and 2) to let me know he was enjoying the park with me. I choose believe this.

Page 137 of The Spirit Whisperer: "these are just a few examples of the hundreds of different ways in which your loved ones may try to get your attention, and trust me (I highlighted this next phrase) they will try anything to reach out to you ... trust me, they know when you're ready and how to get your attention. (Notice John said 'trust me' twice here)

Hang in there Jame57.

The Bible describes faith as the substance of thinks hoped for, the evidence of things unseen. That makes perfect sense to me. We live in a world where we want to have scientific explanation for everything, but even scientists acknowledge the wonder of mysteries that we cannot yet explain. They are what make our world beautiful and our existence richer. I'm glad, in a way, that I cannot explain everything for it gives me an opportunity to exercise my faith, oh the wonder of it all!

We cannot explain love either, and yet it is, perhaps the most tangible of all!

Thank you so much friends.

I do feel calmer now thanks after busying myself in the day, enjoying the sunshine and visiting my brother.

Suitearia, I must try and get that book! Thanks for including that excerpt too.....very positive.

Kay, That really makes sense. Science can't explain everything and you are so right when you say we already have faith in things unseen. Thank you both for enabling me to see this. I will endeavour to look for the signs and appreciate them more ☺

I have spent some money at Barnes Noble's but for me it's worth it. Here is the one I bought yesterday. It is small, the readings are short, but they are powerful (if you are ready for the message). The book is "How To Heal a Grieving Heart" by Doreen Virtue and James Van Praagh. I will be honest and up front with you, John Holland and James Van Praagh are mediums. That doesn't bother me but it may others.

Today has been a very stressful day with not only my grief to contend with but worry over one of my cats which is ill. At lunchtime I went for a walk through the fields near my office. To be alone and get in touch with my emotions. I sat under a tree in the shade and wept, talking to my late mother and praying for calm. I stood up and there on the ground in front of me was a pure white fluffy feather. I'd read about such things being a sign that an angel was with me and I wept again at the thought, this time with gratitude and hope.

Hi James - loved reading about your sojourn in the fields and finding the feather .

And I hope for dedicated loving hands to attend to your kitty that is ill.

Thank you Marj37.

I am blessed with fields and trees outside the office and I take a lunchtime walk most days to just have some "me" time and talk to mum and shed a few tears (sometimes loads) but it's my safety valve and whilst at times I worry I cry so much I know it's because I just love and miss my mum so much. The cat (Tilly) seems to be a bit better thanks....just have to keep praying.

I'm glad your cat is doing better, please keep us posted as to it's condition. Our animals can be so important to us, all the more so when we've lost a loved one!

• 3 weeks later...

As you may have read on another thread I had a really bad couple of days but amongst it all something comforting happened. I went out for a drive in the country for a change of scenery and found myself driving near the cemetary where mum and dad are. On the spur of the moment I called in. I sat by their grave and burst into tears telling them how I missed them etc. I then walked over to a bench seat and sat down in the sun and wept some more. Then a butterfly flew right past me and I thought "that's nice" but thought it to be too random to be a sign. I then went back to the grave and was about to kneel down when the butterfly flew past me again straight over the grave! I then noticed something in the grass by the memorial......a small, fluffy pure-white feather! I couldn't believe it! I said "you ARE with me" and wept and wept but with a feeling of comfort.

I just had to share that with you. Be patient and it will happen. I can't wait for another one but still live in hope of a dream.

Thank you for sharing that with us, James. I'm glad it encouraged you, and hope you get your dream. Be patient, it will happen eventually.

• 4 weeks later...

A week ago I visited mum and dad's grave and took some flowers for them.  It's always a very emotional moment and this was no exception.  I spent quite a while there talking to them and crying, telling them how much I love and miss them.  I walked back to my car, got in and rested my head on the steering wheel crying like a small child (for that is how I feel).  When I looked up, I noticed something out of the corner of my eye and there, on the ground was a fluffy, pure white feather.  I got out and picked it up.  Last night I woke up in the early hours after hearing mum clearly call my name.  This hasn't happened for a while and I used to imagine it when she was still alive as she used to call me in the night.  I wasn't scared,  but felt she was letting me know she is with me.  This second year of grief is in some ways harder than the first and the last 2 weeks have been especially hard but hearing her voice was something special.

All my love mum, miss you so very much xx