Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Contact With Lost Loved One?

My grandmother passed away on April 6, 2015 from a long and terrible aggressive fight with Alzheimer's. She was a mother to me…she raised me80% of my life. Understandably, I am having an extremely difficult time with her passing. Even though we knew it was coming and spent her last 12 days in the hospital hospice floor with her…it was still something I couldn't wrap my head around. It didn't hit me until after the funeral. Not until her grave plaque was done and all the insurance and money and estate was done. It made it all so final. I realized I haven't gone this long without hearing her voice. She lived such a beautiful life full of service to others…taking care of us was what she did.She was my rock…and the only reason I am alive and a halfway normal human being.

Now…on to what we have discovered…our son is autistic, verbally around a 6-8 yr old level. Granny was very very protective of him since he was a baby…he was sick a lot…has a seizure disorder also. It was scary for us since I lived with her at the time. Me and my son and daughter. I was divorced then.The year it took us to figure out his medical problems and get him the help he needed took its toll on all of us. They formed such a bond. Both my kids had a strong bond with their great granny.Just like I had with her.

Since the time she was in hospice we had our son with us at the hospital too….talking to his granny just like normal even though she was sedated on Morphine. They said she could hear us. He would tell her he loved her and she was pretty. He would kiss her and hold her hand. When she passed and after the funeral we came back home to Orlando (she is buried in south Florida) and for the first few weeks our son would say things at bedtime like "granny says she loves you" or "granny misses you" and one time he said "Tell Carl Granny says she's sorry". That just about knocked me to the ground. Carl is granny's son. He lives in south Florida, he is my uncle. He was her main caregiver the last 2 or 3 years along with some outside help at the end. He blamed himself for so much. I started crying immediately. How could my boy just come up with something like that on his own?? There was no way. When I finally told my uncle he cried. He just couldn't believe it. I've done research and they say autistics are very sensitive to the spiritual world…maybe she is with him and if so…it makes me very happy.

A few other things have happened over the last three months…little things and big things too. It doesn't happen everyday, but often enough to have me believe that my grandmother is definitely here and watching over my family…especially our son. He was her baby just as much as mine…she worried about him because of his special needs. The past thing she would always say to me when we would get off the phone would always be "take care of that baby"…even though he is 24 now. Always.."take care of those babies"…talking about my kids. That was her. I hope I keep hearing from her…the things that happen are just too strange not to be straight from her.

Positively heartwarming, my dear! Thank you so much for sharing this with us. There is no doubt in my mind that your grandmother is still in contact with your precious son, and watching over the rest of you too.

Thank you for sharing that with us, it's absolutely astounding, isn't it! My thoughts and prayers go with you in your loss. My mom passed away 11 months ago from dementia, it's hard when the finality sets in.

Hi Cujosgirl15

This is so wonderful to hear. I'm also glad you shared this with us. My mother passed away April 22,2015 . I would love to receive a message from my mom. Just something letting me know she's ok . I wonder if she's with dad and is she happy or sad. This may sound crazy but I'm so worried about my mom. This troubles me but this is the kind of things going through my mind. I just feel if I can get some kind of sign from her then I can move on. I guess its because I know my mom wasn't ready to leave us and didn't go peacefully . I'm struggling with the loss of my mom so much. If only she would let me know she's ok.

God Bless

Heidi

Ah Cujosgirl15 how absolutely heartwarning to hear about your son - that he can hear his granny and share that with you. And that you accept and receive what he is sharing as real. I haven't seen a HUGS icon but I send them to you.

Hello Sweetpe1 ... I bought a book on grieving by Doreen Virtue and James Van Praagh "How To Heal a Grieving Heart". On page 82 of this lovely book it deals with the question "When you cannot feel your loved one's presence". I will share some of the text for you ... I hope that it helps you as it has me.

"You hear and read about other people's encounters with their departed loved ones, and you wonder: Where is mine? If you have not felt this energetc presence, please do not despair. It does not mean you have been abandoned or are unloved. Usually it signifies that your loved one is in much-needed self-care. Each person has a diferent heavenly path for his/her soul's growth ... they have to rest in the afterlife plane while they adjust to the fact that their souls live on. Others who have had traumatic deaths need caretaking in heaven before they are strong enough to make vistis to family and friends ... In time you will both adjust to feeling each other's presence across the veil".

Hugs to all ...

Heidi, my dear, you might find this passage helpful, from Louis LaGrand's wonderful book, Love Lives On: Learning from the Extraordinary Encounters of the Bereaved. He writes:

Seeking an Extraordinary Encounter

I tell every client who comes to me that there is nothing wrong with asking or praying for a sign that your loved one is okay. You will receive a sign when you need it most. Be patient. Persist. Be specific. Keep petitioning. Stay alert and increase your awareness of the coincidences, feelings, unusual happenings, intuitions, and good things that occur during your day. Give thanks when what you have prayed for arrives. Persistent prayer cannot be denied. In particular, ask your Higher Power to allow you to have a visitation dream. Many spiritual counselors believe that dreams are the easiest way for spirits to communicate with survivors.

You might also combine your prayers with meditation. If prayer is talking to the Intelligence, meditation is listening to that Intelligence. Meditation – opening your mind and heart to the messages of the universe around you – will put you in an ideal state of consciousness to receive an Extraordinary Encounter . . . if something happens to you during your prayer or meditation session, and you are not sure how to assess it, ask yourself four questions:

•Is this the kind of thing my loved one would do?

•What is my intuitive feeling about the event? (Notice what comes into your awareness – what thoughts, physical feelings, emotions.)

•Has this event brought the feelings that love has been given and received?

•Most important of all, did the experience bring peace?

If the answer to the last question is yes, you should feel confident that you’re being led by a power greater than yourself, regardless of what name you attach to it. I firmly believe that peace and a sense of belonging or connectedness go hand-in-hand, and that the road to true healing lies in following that peace (pp. 119-121).

Hi Cujosgirl15,

Just got to say I found your post reassuring and it strengthens my belief that our loved ones don't leave us.

So very sorry for your loss though and I pray you find continued comfort from your connection. Thank you for sharing this with us. It certainly helped me.

I worry like Heidi does that they're ok.

Thank you all…I am so glad to have found this place. I feel such comfort here. Something I haven't felt in months now except from my husband. He has been amazing along with my children. Outside of that I have been struggling so much and reading your responses just really made me feel good. There have been other signs from my granny that have been straight to me and not through my son…and I treasure them. It makes me thirst for the next one. It is like having a secret between just me and her. They seem to come when I am at my lowest…as if she knows. I think that is how I know it is real.

Heidi, I am hoping you will find some kind of peace or sign from your mom. I know each sign I get it helps me so much so I know what you are going through.

• 2 weeks later...

My daughter has dreams about my mom, her grandmother. In a dream they talk and my daughter knows that my mom is dead. But they have conversations and my mom always tells my daughter how much she loves her. I wish I could dream about my mom. To see her in a dream and actually remember that dream would be wonderful. I NEVER remember any of my dreams. In my daughter's dreams, she is sitting and talking with my mom when her mind says "Grandma is dead and we are talking."