dwells within another living being.
Quote from "The Souls of Animals",
Gary Kowalski, a Unitarian minister;
garduate of Harvard Divinity School.
I also have "Goodby, friend" by him.
That quote led me to find this on Wikipedia

post-17389-0-13385000-1438373677_thumb.j

Marj, how beautiful this is!

"Later, theologians restriced the possession of a soul to human beings." And what did they base that on, I'd like to know.

I don't think animals would be capable of love without a soul, and at times I think animals are more capable of love than

humans, based on what I see going on in the world today. Case in point: Cecil the lion who was, in my opinion, brutally

murdered to appease an arrogant, egotistical human! Was that love on the part of that despicable person?? Where was

his soul while committing this brutal act???

"But what is soul or spirit? Spirit is the channel through which we became conscious of the

essence - the inward beauty - that dwells within another living being." This makes perfect sense!
Which leads me to feel that animals definitely have a soul, because they see our (their human's) inward beauty,
and that is exactly why they love us so much in return as we love them. Animals are definitely conscious of our inward
beauty; there is no way they would love us if they didn't see our inward beauty. Which leads me to believe that we will be
reunited with them in heaven because from what I understand, in order to enter heaven, you must have a soul. If anyone
deserves to enter heaven, it is our beloved pets as well as the rest of the animal kingdom!
Marj, thanks for this!
~ Mia ~

I don't know, but I hope they extradite him. He DOES need to face charges for what he's done. He knew what he was doing at the time and callously ignored any conscience he might have possessed. Such a beautiful beloved creature, snuffed out, for nothing!

I don't know about the definition of "spirit". My little sister had a baby, Courtney, who was born without a brain. She only had a nubbin of a "brain" that controlled the reflexes, she could sense pain vs. comfort...yet she could not form a conscious thought. She could not recognize her parents. She could not "think". That part of the brain did not exist. Yet Courtney had a "spirit", we could sense and know her spirit. So even though she could not form a conscious thought, we knew she had a spirit. I learned a lot through getting to know her. She was very sweet. There's no doubt in my mind that spirit and soul are separate from the brain. We tend to think of our brain, where we form thoughts and retrieve memories, as our center, but it is not. My mom died from dementia last year. In getting to know her without HER brain, as most of it seemed to dissipate the further the dementia progressed, her spirit became more apparent, whereas in the years she had her conscious brain, it seemed to often obliterate her spirit, as her brain was very troubled. It's all been rather interesting to get to know.

There is no doubt in my mind that our animals possess not only brains, but spirits and souls as well. They are very special unique beings, this is what makes us love them for who they are!

KayC, I am so, so sorry to read about your niece! My condolences to you for the loss of your mom as well.

Wow, what you have said here is so profound, regarding your niece as well as your mom!

I think the part of us that feels love resides in the spirit and soul rather than the brain. Thinking or acting from a person's heart rather

than a person's brain more often than not results in more positive outcomes than negative ones.

~ Mia ~

I so agree!

I am certain humans don't credit animals with enough intelligence for they demonstrate loyalty, love and affection in abundance. If I sit in my recliner chair and have a cry my lovely girl cat, Tilly will often jump up on the chair arm. Animals have more soul than many humans I know.

You're not a kidding!