Grief Healing Discussion Groups

feelin' so guilty

dinnybones

My 15 yr. old cat was euthanized last Thursday nite. I am secon-guessing if I did the right thing. He had been passing blood for a few weeks outside his box but had no other symptoms. Prior to this he was treated with antibiotics and steroids 3 times which didn't help him. I did so much searching on the internet and concluded as long as he had no other symptoms (than the bleeding) he would be ok. Then, 4 days before he was euthanized he slowly stopped eating and stopped peeing and drinking. He slept a lot. But, he did continue to follow me from room to room as usual.  I knew I did not have the money for xrays, ct scans, etc. Then, if they did find something I had no way to pay for it.  I talked to the vet and she said he was dying and it could be a slow painful death. She thought he may have a tumor.  Now after he is gone I'm wondering if I should have used the money I spent having that done and at least had some tests done  and maybe it wasn't anything too serious. Or something I could afford to pay for. I feel like I rushed into the euthanization.  I feel so guilty.

My dear, I'm so sorry to learn of the death of your cat, and from what you describe, it sounds to me as if you did all you possibly could for him. Bleeding is a pretty serious indicator that something was very, very wrong, and in his last four days it sounds as if his body functions were shutting down. Even if you'd done every diagnostic test available, the outcome very likely would have been the same. It doesn't sound to me as if you rushed into this at all. I'm sure it was an agonizing decision for you, as it is for all of us who've been in your shoes, including me.

I invite you to read this article, as I think it could have been written just for you: Guilt In The Wake Of The Euthanasia Decision ~ and please be sure to follow the links to the Related Articles and Resources listed at the base of the article as well.

I am sorry for the loss of your cat.  It is always so hard to let go and hard to know if it's the right time.  I use, as a rule of thumb, what is best for the pet, if their suffering outweighs their quality of life, what their likelihood of survival is, the prognosis considered, I try to consider what is best for them over what seems best for me (keeping them alive).  I had a 19 year old cat I had to have put to sleep, he had cancer, and was 30% underweight (he'd previously been overweight)...he didn't have a way to survive and would have endured more suffering had I made him continue to natural death.

In my estimation, you did the kindest thing for HIM, over what you wanted for yourself, which is being the responsible pet owner.

I hope you will find comfort here:

• 2 weeks later...

When an animal stops eating, it is a sign to me that its time has come.  I did have a younger cat in good health who inexplicably started fasting, and just as inexplicably began to eat again.  however, she was 10 or 11, not 15, and when I force fed her, she ate.

My last boy was up and about, but after a lifetime of making these calls, I sense a difference between "active" and "restless."  When he began to wander about, I think hewas looking for a way to be alone and let the end come.  Not eating is a sure sign your old friend was looking toward the end.

You have my sympathy.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Good Morning, my dog quit eating five days ago, took him to the Vet, ran blood tests and not a pretty sight. The Dog is at least 13 years old and the Diabetes is severe. I asked for antibiotics and painkillers. They added something for the stomach,  Its going to be a rough couple days. Already decided on burial site(hope frost isn't too deep)........that comment by Ipswitch on the quitting eating, is confirming the diagnosis and what to expect.........these are hard times

• Upvote 1

Kevin, my heart is with you as you go through the last leg with Patches, however long it will be.  I always measure when it's time by whether the animal is truly suffering and in pain, and if their quality of life seems to be gone.  Sometimes it overlaps in such a way it's hard to determine.  I pray you will know without a doubt when that time is come so that you do not doubt yourself or look back.  We do the best we can for our animals, including that decision.  You are a responsible and caring pet owner.  If I came back as a dog, I'd want any one of these forum writers to be my owner.  :wub:

This morning the dog went into convulsions ,,,,,,I gave him a shot of the painkiller then called the Vet...They said get down here right away. Very professional bunch , within  20 minutes the pain was over. Then I had to confirm my burial decision, which is the Rose Garden in my back yard. I will start my digging tomorrow.......Cat sure knows there is one less in the house.......Sure is a nice day up here....thanks for your concern

I'm sorry, Kevin.  My friend's dog died today as well, he was going to have her put to sleep tomorrow but she didn't make it.