Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Physical symptoms since death of mom

Hello! My mom passed away suddenly in January. I am an only child who was incredibly close to my mom. She was my life and best friend and it's difficult living without her. I've noticed some physical symptoms since her death and I am curious to know if others have had these problems. My eye constantly twitches. It's been going on for over a week. At times I feel nauseous. I also feel as though I have mini panic attacks-usually when I start to think about living the rest of my life without her. Any advice/suggestions are appreciated. 

Hi, I'm sorry for your loss and the reason you're here.  Nausea & panic attacks I think are common with fresh grief, it's stressful!  I'm sure the eye-twitching is also probably stress.  Are you seeing a grief counselor?  If not, I'd recommend it.  There's also support groups that might be helpful.  

Make sure to express your feelings through journaling, blogging, or here, it helps to feel heard.  For myself, when my husband died I felt my power had been stripped from me, after all, no one asked ME if I wanted this!  Coming here helped tremendously, but it's important to do our grief work, and it IS work!  I used art, writing, making a collage, all kinds of things to work through it.  It also helps to take care of ourselves, daily walks, eating healthy, avoiding depressants like alcohol.  Make sure to have supportive people around you and limit your time with those who just don't "get it", at least for now.

I hope you'll continue to come here and read the threads, it helps to know you are not alone in how you're feeling and what you're going through.  Meditation is also very helpful, and listening to soothing music or nature sounds.  Spending time with pets also lowers your anxiety.  See your doctor if your symptoms continue in spite of your best efforts.

My mom died in December. I've had a lot of stomach aches, myself. The main thing I noticed, especially at first, was that the sadness sometimes just hurts. There was a lot of tightness in my torso, mostly when I was crying. I've never had cries of that intensity in my life! I do deep breathing sometimes to get past it. I also make sure to write my feelings down. Sometimes I just talk out loud when I'm alone. There's got to be some channel for you to get the intense pain out, or the physical symptoms will probably just get worse.

Hugs to you, from another person who's seriously struggling with suddenly being motherless.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, kayc said:

Hi, I'm sorry for your loss and the reason you're here.  Nausea & panic attacks I think are common with fresh grief, it's stressful!  I'm sure the eye-twitching is also probably stress.  Are you seeing a grief counselor?  If not, I'd recommend it.  There's also support groups that might be helpful.  

Make sure to express your feelings through journaling, blogging, or here, it helps to feel heard.  For myself, when my husband died I felt my power had been stripped from me, after all, no one asked ME if I wanted this!  Coming here helped tremendously, but it's important to do our grief work, and it IS work!  I used art, writing, making a collage, all kinds of things to work through it.  It also helps to take care of ourselves, daily walks, eating healthy, avoiding depressants like alcohol.  Make sure to have supportive people around you and limit your time with those who just don't "get it", at least for now.

I hope you'll continue to come here and read the threads, it helps to know you are not alone in how you're feeling and what you're going through.  Meditation is also very helpful, and listening to soothing music or nature sounds.  Spending time with pets also lowers your anxiety.  See your doctor if your symptoms continue in spite of your best efforts.

Thank you for your advice! I am seeing a therapist which  helps tremendously.  I thought I was handling it well, then suddenly I started to get these symptoms. Clearly  something is going on due to my grief.

Daughter of an amazing  mom, it is so  difficult. Most days I feel  as though I am not living, but merely  existing, hoping  one day the dark  cloud will ease  it's grip on me. I definitely  felt pain  from my heart to my stomach  every time I thought about the day my mom died.

Hi willow87 - I am so sorry for you loss. It is so fresh. I had an eye eye twitch as well. I felt as if I was going crazy with it. I did what the others have suggested and it did help somewhat. For me it was a matter of time. One day I woke up and it was gone. I had a lot of anxiety and I am sure that is what caused it. If your physical symptoms continue or get worse, or you just need help coping with them, go and see your doctor.

Daughter- of an amazing mom - I am so sorry for the loss of your mom as well. I had the torso tightness too. With mom's first anniversary it has returned at times. You are certainly right that grief and sadness hurt...physically. Sometimes I swear that I can feel my heart breaking.

And I hope that both of you keep coming back to talk about your grief and seek support. This is a good place.