Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Grief triggers as "healing triggers"

We all have experienced those soul crushing grief triggers. Something we see, hear, smell or just a random thought that brings us to our knees. I came across some words online that I found very interesting regarding those triggers. Basically the writer was saying that to heal, we need to experience those triggers. And instead of feeling anxious or dreading the thought of them, embrace them, learn from them and heal from them. Mitch

"Grief triggers can be crushing and it’s okay to let them knock us down. It’s okay to occasionally walk backwards and let those emotions wash over us. It’s important we experience them fully and not push them away. But if we do our work and positively express our suffering, they can’t keep us down. They can’t win. As we move forward in our journey it’s possible to know that death did not take all when it took our loved ones bodies. Death can never take their spirit, their life force. It can’t have our memories or our love; only life gets those. Death is not as powerful as it thinks it is, if we don’t let it be. Healing triggers happen when those same sights, scents and sounds that once knocked us down, now lift us up because they’re a reminder of our living, breathing, laughing, loved ones. By using our time wisely we can transition from grief triggers to healing triggers. In embracing those healing memories ... we can find our smile.

For our loved ones to have died, it meant they had to have lived first. If we focus on their living, and let go of their dying, we can heal; we can smile and find meaning again.  Look for your healing triggers, they're everywhere." 

Edited by MartyT
Link to source inserted
  • Upvote 7

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I think Kevin's music and the music I find will be a healing trigger one day because even I cry alot when I listen to it, it sometimes makes me smile, though rare sometimes certain thoughts make me smile I have to remember them more.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...