Grief Healing Discussion Groups

I recall several months ago how I mentioned the need for those of us who can, to help sustain this home, our refuge and safe place to come, by contributing. Grief Healing Discussion Groups is one of if not the largest site of it's kind. With over seven thousand members and growing daily, the demand on Marty is very high. So many of our members are financially hurting and how understandable that is for losing a spouse often is disastrous. Because of this, there never has been a fee to join or participate. Some of us however can and must for it is not unlike helping a friend in need and we are all friends here. We are family. We are the one's who "get it".

It doesn't take much and even a small amount of twenty dollars here and there could make such a difference in sustaining the work Marty is doing. We can hardly imagine the time she spends moderating and researching information for one who needs it. When funding by Hospice of the Valley (HOV) was cut years ago, it left a hole. A big one! Those of us who are financially stable need to step up and it's so easy to click on that donation button. I know it is secure and safe to use a credit card or paypal. I now do an automatic monthly donation but I used to do it whenever I could afford to as a one time thing. It doesn't matter how much or how often but it will have an affect. I promise you that.

When I was first widowed, I joined a grief support group that was not this one. It was a wonderful site called "Grief's Journey". A friend in Canada told me about it so I went there. That time was when I was at my lowest and I could hardly equate the cost of running such a place. I had tunnel vision so I saw very little through my own tears. The web site ended and you can pull it up to see the remains as if it was a star that went nova and just a white dwarf remains. I was lucky to have been directed here by my grief counselor at HOV, Joyce, who worked with and is a dear friend of Marty's. After funding was lost and I had grown to the point where I could see other issues beside my own grief, I knew I had to help so that our home here would not also end. I'm not saying it is going to. I am just saying we cannot take the chance.

I have posted this on Loss of a Spouse, Partner, or Significant Other because as you can see, it dwarfs all other topics in member involvement. So please my friends do what you can for this is one of the most important causes we could ever have.

Thank you for reading this through and for giving it some thought.

Stephen

• Upvote 6

It just takes a little bit from each of us as we can afford to make it work.  Even if a person can't commit to monthly, a once in a while bit would help, it all does!

• Upvote 1

Thank you for your post, Stephen. When we are in deep, emotional turmoil over a significant loss we often have tunnel vision.

As Kay said "it takes a little bit from each of us" and if we are able we donate but if we can't there is to be no pressure. It is a choice we make. 

And Mitch, please do not feel bad about a small donation ~ most of us can only give a small offering. When it comes from the heart no donation is too small.

Peace to each one of us. Anne

• Upvote 2

And you're getting very good at your pencil colorings too, Anne!

• Upvote 3

I'm really glad this reminder comes up from time to time.  It's a way to say thank you, Marty!  Thank you for creating a place that I know has saved much sanity and created many friendships.

• Upvote 2

• MartyT pinned this topic

Sorry to say I've only been able to contribute, once.......and not a big amount......right now working hard at just survival, basic needs have become almost luxuries.  But, when I am in a financially better place (Please let this be sooner than later!) I will definitely be stepping up to the plate......this forum has been a Godsend to me.......I keep Marty in my prayers for all that she has done, and continues to do!

• Upvote 5

Yes, I wish I was a rich widow instead of a poor starving one, but I try to do what I can, which is all any of us can do.  I don't think anyone need apologize for what they can't do, just all of us do what we can.  

• Upvote 3

This group helped me to survive as well Walt. Thank you all for stepping up and though we still have a long way to go, it's happening.  Anyone who have ideas or thoughts on funding please PM me. We don't have to have money to put our thinking caps on.

chesire 2.jpg

• Upvote 4

I'm so glad to see this reminder.  This wonderful place certainly kept me going many times when I was deep in grief.  Thank you Marty, and I hope you know how much we appreciate this caring, healing, loving place to come and ease our broken hearts.

*<twinkles>*

feralfae

• Upvote 4

• 3 weeks later...

We're moving in the right direction kind people and I thank you for joining in and helping. It truly makes a difference. A very, very big difference. Those of you just joining us,  welcome and please read the thread posts above. We can make a difference. We are making a difference and best of all, we are helping each other.

• Upvote 1

• MartyT unpinned and pinned this topic
  • 1 month later...

I have been working at setting up an art auction to help raise money and today it looks like I finally have a venue. It's going to occur in October here in Scottsdale and Marty I feel real good about this. The art community has always been helpful when it comes to worthy causes and they don't get much more worthy than this one. So just heads up my friends. Those of you who do art may want to donate a piece of your work. It does not have to be framed as I am donating all the framing for any works needing it. We are looking at the first Saturday in October but that won't be firmed up for a few weeks. It just has to be cooler as it will be an outside affair. We will have food and live entertainment provided by my friend Ronnie and his group Trio Rio who also works with me part time and was a good friend of my wife as well.. Every one involved with this is doing it for nothing so all proceeds go directly to Marty. 

• Upvote 3

I am so excited about this, Stephen. It's a great idea and one that I will help you with any way I can. I know I can get a few donations of art from our community here as we have many people who are very artistic. We must get together for lunch and talk. We have a number of people who do art activities. I am so happy that this just might happen. We have our very own artists right here on the forum. Some may even be willing to donate for this worthy cause. This is good news.

Anne

• Upvote 3

Patty that would be so wonderful. Anything Maui would be great. Horses, flowers, landscape, or sea would work well especially if it spoke to your own story of grief.  The majority of work will be by us here in the southwest so coming from where you live would get peoples attention. If you paint it on canvass or if it is on paper, you could roll it and send it in a tube where I can stretch it and frame it and it would cost less to ship. And send a title with your name for the card that we will make for it.

And Thank You!

• Upvote 1

Are all the artworks' themes going to be centered on grief?

This is another "theme" -- I've done a lot of horses but other stuff too.  This one is hanging at the business.  I look at it a lot these days, I'm not sure why, I did it decades ago, before I even knew Ron.  I think it has something to do with another realm.  I'll think about what I might want to do... 

shadow_of_nature.jpg

• Upvote 5

No they are not Patty. I just was suggesting for some of us who are members of GHDG and share a common bond, it would be a connection to what this sale is all about.

Good God girl, that painting is awesome.  Just out of curiosity how big is it? Is it on canvass? I am totally captivated by the eye and the light and depth.............wow.

• Upvote 3

It's about 24x36 inches, I do paint on board though.  It's called "Shadow of Nature" and always has been, but it has a different meaning to me now. I had forgotten its name until I went to find an image to post. Thanks for the info, I'll think about subject matter :) And thank you!  I have a portrait of ron and I (actually using the photo in my profile)... I was able to work on it in the first month twice, but not since.  That one is still too hard.

• Upvote 1