Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Motherly affection missing from life

The day my mummy died a new title was given to me " mother less " 

I'll be the " motherless daughter" till the end of life.

The night when my mom was in critical condition, one of my relative said 

" how is she going to survive without her mom? She never stayed without her mother even for a day, she won't be able to handle this all"

There were many talks going on, they thought I was sleeping but I was wide awake,  those words struck like thunder but I had a firm belief in god and was waiting for a miracle. Nothing of that sort happened.

After my mom passed away, all the ladies relatives of my family have started looking at me with pity in their eyes, I've even heard them calling me " poor girl".. (My mom just transferred from one form to another, she is not gone, she is in my heart forever.)

I hate that look, my mom has raised a brave girl, she is a brave lady and I'm her daughter. To avoid their pity I never expressed my self in front of them, I promised my mother that no matter what I won't break up in front of the world. 

I don't want any pity or fake affection. Honestly I miss the motherly affection and there were many ladies who hugged me, gave kisses on my forehead, called me their own daughter but none of this was close to the true affection I got from my lovely mom.

I know their being nice to a " motherless girl" but I find it fake, they have their own children to look after and it really hurts, 

I miss her so much, 

Of course you miss her, dear one ~ and that will never change! What I mean is that you'll never stop missing the physical presence of your mother in your daily life ~ but you are still your mother's daughter, and she is still your mother, and that will never change either. As time goes by, you will find many ways to love your mother in her absence, to remember her, to carry her in your heart and to bring her with you into your future. You are limited only by your imagination! (See Parent Loss: Continuing Their Song.)

As for all these ladies looking at you with pity in their eyes, I imagine they're only trying to be kind ~ and people being as they are, they may not even know what to say to you or how to comfort you. I promise you that the sting of their words and actions, no matter how inept, will diminish over time, as you develop thicker skin and stronger defenses. Sometimes we have to be like ducks, learning to let such things roll off our backs ~ and that takes practice, time and effort. When our grief is fresh and fairly new, we are hypersensitive to the words and behavior of those around us. And I'm sure, if you've read other posts in these forums, you'll see that encountering the insensitivity of others is a topic frequently discussed among the bereaved. See also  Grief Support: When Others Fail to Meet Our Expectations

• Upvote 1

Mom's angel,

Sending hugs your way!

• Upvote 1