Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Another Loss...

Nikki D

While I am still in grief of my pet dog, there was another loss... Uncle Jack passed yesterday. He had stroke about 5 days ago. He is my ex-husband's uncle. He and his wife helped me through the storm I was going through for 4-5 years about 25 years ago when I first came to this country with my 6 month-old-daughter. Although I was not blood related in any way (and don't have anything Irish - their proud heritage), they treated me as their own daughter. I was so lost in a whole new world with an alcoholic husband who was creating hurricanes every day. Without their support, my infant daughter and I would've never survived. 

I'm so sorry for your (yet another significant) loss, Nikki. Clearly this person played an important role in your life ~ a surrogate father in a way. We send our sincere condolences and peace to your hurting heart. 

• Upvote 1

Since then we moved several times, went through a divorce with the alcoholic husband/father of my three children, and a remarriage. We live far now and I hadn't seen him for many years. At least I had a chance to tell him on the phone through his wife and son before he passed, that I am forever thankful for him and I am now living a happy life with a wonderful husband who treats me very well. I am very glad I was able to do that. 

• Upvote 2

Nikki,

I know how heart wrenching this loss must be for you, I'm very sorry.