Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Mother's Day changes after the death of a sibling

I lost my 4-year-old daughter in 2009. At the time, her brothers were 8,9 and 10-years-old. In the years since they've celebrated me on Mother's Day, but I've continued to feel guilty because Mother's Day became an incredibly sad occasion for me in the wake of their sister's death. Last year, I wrote an open letter to them on my blog. It resonated with many bereaved mothers and siblings, so I decided to share it again...this time via Open to Hope. While I wrote this for my surviving children, I think it applies to everyone who not only lost a sibling...but lost the mother they once knew in the process. I hope this letter gives you the glimpse into what your own mother may feel on this Mother's Day. http://www.opentohope.com/letter-living-children-mothers-day/

Love and hugs to you all...

• Upvote 2

Blessings to you, dear Maria, and thank you for sharing your beautiful piece with all of us here. (Yours is one of several I have listed in my blog post, Coping with Grief on Mother's Day: Selected Resources )  As a fellow bereaved mom, I am thinking of you and your darling Margareta on Mother's Day and holding you in my heart 

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

That letter was so beautiful it brought me to tears, we always made mam homemade cards and my brother always wrote her letters even though he was 30 :) last month he died and I see my mama trying to be so strong but I feel her pain deeply, and I feel mine. Thanks for sharing this with us all