Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Moms Birthday

Misty523

I am new to the Grief Healing Discussion Groups.  This is my first entry.  My passed September, 2016.  Monday would be her 86th birthday.  I am not looking forward to the day.  It all started yesterday at work with an enormous sadness coming over me.  I do not know how to think about this.  I understand that these anniversary's will be hard and what I am feeling is normal.  I will be glad when all of this grieving is behind me. 

I'm so sorry for your loss, Misty, and I understand your not looking forward to your mother's birthday. Still, I think the worst thing you can do is to let the day sneak up on you without having some sort of plan on how you intend to manage it ~ even if your plan is to do nothing at all. 

I invite you to read these articles, as they contain some wonderful ideas for dealing with special days (including birthdays) that you may find helpful. Be sure to check out some of the related articles that are listed there as well:

Tips for Coping with Anniversary Reactions in Grief

In Grief: Dreading The Anniversary Date of A Loved One's Death

• Upvote 1

Misty, I am so very sorry for the loss of your mother. You will always feel the loss but in time, you will remember the good memories. I try to think of special things to do on those anniversaries of the death of loved ones. My Jim used to make banana nut bread often. When he died I baked his bread and took it to the fire house for the firemen who used to come and "life and assist" when he would fall. They got to know Jim by name. It made me feel good to do this. It really is the little things that bring smiles to our face during the anniversary days. 

Anne

Misty,

I could swear I posted a response to this yesterday, either it disappeared or I've lost my mind.  

I am very sorry for your loss, I do know how that feels, I lost my mom 1 1/2 years ago.  I think we grow more accustomed to living with that loss in time, but I also realize we will always miss them.