Grief Healing Discussion Groups

Funeral today

kayc

A friend of mine passed May 11.  She was 92 years old, so is her husband.  You'd think it wouldn't be such a big deal, she's lived her life, squeezed a lot in between her birth and death.  But wrong.  She was a very special person, one of a kind.  I tear up even as I write this.  I love Beth.  She always dressed impeccably, everything matched, jewelry, hair in place, makeup immaculately done (I found out when I visited her in the hospital one time that it was tattooed on).  Even that makes me smile.  She always wore glitter on her face.  Today I wore leopard print to church (she liked leopard) and face glitter, in honor of Beth.  In a few minutes I will go to her funeral.  I was at the music practice this morning for the songs...it's going to be a tear jerker, I'd better bring kleenex.

What I admired most about Beth was her ability to live so fully.  She remarried at age 82, to someone very special.  Most people wouldn't consider getting married at that age, I remember she told him he needed to slow down and he said at his age he couldn't afford to slow down!  They married a couple of months later. :)

I'm going to miss Beth.  There was never another like her, nor will there ever be.

• Upvote 7

My aunt passed at 90 or 91 in February before Billy in October.  She looked in her 60s.  She was beautiful with a disposition that matched.  She was pure love.  She had no children, so her nieces and nephews were her kids.  And we loved her so much.  She loved Billy.  He always teased her that if I died first that he and she would do the RVing and she agreed with him.  He would call her when I forgot to.  So now, I think maybe they are in heaven together and I am glad she was there to greet him.  Not everyone morphs into Alzheimer's or senile dementia.  Some people keep a good part of their brains well into their 90's and beyond.  I'm sorry for your loss.  She sounds like a keeper.  

• Upvote 4

I'm sorry Kay. Age makes no difference. You lose a dear friend, you lose a dear friend.

• Upvote 6

I'm so sorry to learn that your friend has died, dear Kay. :(

Your Beth sounds like a lovely lady, and it's no wonder that you loved her so. May her precious soul rest in eternal peace.

I know your heart is hurting today, and our hearts are hurting for you. 

• Upvote 3

:(.  Kay I'm so very sorry for your friends passing.  She sounds like she was a beautiful soul.  I pray her spirit shines on with you and all who loved her.  

Hugs,

Butch

• Upvote 6

Kay,

I'm so sorry you lost your friend. Age is no barrier to friendship. My mom's best friend died six moths after Debbie did. I was close to her also. She was a "Grand Lady" ,as your friend was. 

• Upvote 5

It was one of the most beautiful funerals I've ever been to.  We had an open mic. session and I told the story about her...when she was in her 80s she was learning to use the computer, this was back with Windows 98.  If you remember they were notorious for giving a blue screen of death with a message about "you have committed an illegal operation and your computer will be shut down."  Well this happened to her and she had a friend look at it and he teased her about being careful about those computer police! 

The next day at church we noticed she looked really tired so we asked her about it and she said she didn't sleep the night before.  When we inquired why, she said, "Oh you know, those computer police!"  We probed further and found out she'd locked her doors and drawn her blinds and decided she just wasn't going to open up to anyone, and ever so often she peered out the blinds.  Poor lady!  It was a harrowing night at the time but it sure made a good story for later.

We also reminisced about her riding a horse for the first time in her 80s at a church event!

And then there was the time we went on a ladies retreat and she was the oldest one there, and she stayed up all night and partied with some of the younger ones!  (I remember that, they kept me awake).

What a beautiful spirit!  I wore leopard and plenty of bling, even glitter on my face, for Beth was known for her love of all three!,

• Upvote 9

I love glitter and rhinestones.  My friend, who is only a few years older than I am, when the computer geeks in our hospital got to where they could shadow us on the screen,  and could see while we were typing, she promptly retired.  She did not want them "seeing" into her home.  

I did not know what "old" was until Billy left.  I now know, and wish I didn't.  But some people are "old" in their 20's.  

• Upvote 2

Marg, I felt old when I was merely 22 because of what I'd been through in my life by that young age.  It took a lot of healing and effort to reclaim my life.

• Upvote 2

KayC, praying peace and comfort for you.  As you have taught us, Grief is another expression of love and guides us through our' journey. Praying... Shalom

• Upvote 1

Kay, I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. I don't think that someone's advanced age makes it any easier to lose someone you love-I think it's kind of irrelevant how old they are. One of my closest friends told me that her parents have been to about half a dozen memorial services in the past year-people they have known and been close to for more than a couple of decades. That is horrible! It's a really awful part of getting older-that you lose more and more of your loved ones. My dad was 88 when he died and a number of people told me things like, "Well he lived a long life..." as if that made any difference or made it any better!  

Well, I hope the glitter, bling and leopard make you feel closer to her.

Laura

• Upvote 2

It doesn't make it any easier to lose them when the're old, but there is some consolation in knowing they got to live a full life.  To lose someone young it feels like such a waste...

• Upvote 1