Grief Healing Discussion Groups

I LOST MY DAD ON MAY 5

I am sorry for the loss of your dad.  You don't say how old you are, but I know it's really tough when you're young...I lost my dad when I was 29 and about to have my first child.

While the intensity of the pain lessens eventually, the missing them never seems to go away, although we do get more used to it.  

• Upvote 1

On May 17, 2016 at 7:15 AM, NYDOC said:

I lost my dad on May 5.

I can't believe he is gone. We buried him on May 7. I am so sad. I would go see him everyday after work. I would always call him every night to say good night.

I can't sleep.

That is terrible-I am so sorry to hear it. I lost my dad in mid-January and it has been really hard. He was my hero, my best friend, and my role model. I took care of him for the last ten years of his life (he had Parkinson's), and so we became very close. I am glad that you found this site- it is a great place to find support and to realize that you aren't alone. There are a lot of us here who are on very similar paths. I have found a lot of compassion, understanding, and caring here. I have found the site to be extremely helpful. What happened to your dad?

• 1 month later...

NYDOC,

I'm so sorry, I know how tough Father's Day can be.  I lost my husband on Father's Day, June 19, 2005, and it's the hardest day of the year for me.  I'm glad this weekend is over.

NYDOC - I understand completely.  I'm on 25 and my father passed away on March 24.  It has been a rough couple of months and I'm sure it will continue to be rough but by leaning on my support systems, I have been able to continue living.  I have not moved on and probably will never get over the death of my dad but I will live my life for him.  I know that's what he would have wanted.  With that and the support from family and friends, I've been able to go back to school and work.  I think about him constantly but I have noticed that I don't necessarily think about his passing.  I think of the good times we shared and the many memories I have of him.  There are nights where I am reminded but they lessen with time.  I know it's hard.  Just know you are not alone and do not have to go through this alone.  Along with this wonderful group, I'm sure you have support around you to lean on in those times of need.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have had a lot of ups and downs since my dad died in mid January. The last week or so has been the very worst since the very beginning - probably because the move is coming up - consolidating our possessions into one condo (we had two of the same size and both were overstuffed). So I am saying goodbye to almost all of my furniture - and a lot of other stuff, as well as saying goodbye to the home he lived in for 10 years and the place where I have grieved and clung to him for the last six months since his passing. Lately I am also back to not being able to sleep. It is hard to walk this road...

• Upvote 1